FCC wants to make carriers unlock phones within 60 days of activation

"Proposed rule would make it easier to switch to another service provider for the phone you already own."

Unless it's AT&T and your phone isn't white listed by them in which case it wouldn't work (or work right) anyway. It happened to me. Consumer Cellular was operating on the T-Mobile network. I bought a new unlocked T-Mobile phone. Three weeks later I received a new sim card from CC. I put it in and instantly lost 5G. It turns out CC, without a warning or announcement, was switching from T-Mobile to AT&T as their carrier and since my brand new phone wasn't white listed by AT&T it could not connect to 5G. When I spoke to CC their reply was "buy a new phone". Not bloody likely so I switched. If the FCC goes ahead with this rule I wouldn't be surprised to see other carriers start to initiate white listing of phones. Not as effective as locking but still gives them some control.

Verizon was forced to do this years ago

Here's the kicker

Cell phones can be built for specific carriers
The phone has to be capable of using the frequencies of the new carrier

Unlocking it won't change anything

Unless it's a verizon phone that was built after they were forced to make their phones compatible with all carriers

You need to pay attention to the actual model of the phone and read the fine print on the frequencies it supports

Samsung s 24 isn't enough.. you need the global version of the phone not the t mobile version

Verizon was forced to do this years ago

Here's the kicker

Cell phones can be built for specific carriers
The phone has to be capable of using the frequencies of the new carrier

Unlocking it won't change anything

Unless it's a verizon phone that was built after they were forced to make their phones compatible with all carriers

You need to pay attention to the actual model of the phone and read the fine print on the frequencies it supports

Samsung s 24 isn't enough.. you need the global version of the phone not the t mobile version

I think this is mainly to stop AT&T from keeping iPhones locked in perpetuity.. my parents had an AT&T iPhone that was paid off a long time ago and it was still locked when they went to switch to Verizon.. I had to call AT&T to have them unlock it.. pain in the ass.

I think this is mainly to stop AT&T from keeping iPhones locked in perpetuity.. my parents had an AT&T iPhone that was paid off a long time ago and it was still locked when they went to switch to Verizon.. I had to call AT&T to have them unlock it.. pain in the ass.
Att is verizons twin

Or, here’s a thought, just purchase an unlocked phone. Pay up front and keep your phone for three or four years to help amortize the cost. Sure, you’re not getting the shiny new phone every year, but you’re free to roam about the carriers to get the best service for your area, not locked into the one.

I’m usually buying last year’s or the year before that model, so I’m not paying the full price which helps. But after I got burned with a Virgin Mobile phone plan, I swore off the carrier-provided phones.

make the consumer buy the phone from Samsung or whoever..then they choose a carrier and plan that you cancel in 60 days

It's been that way in Europe for years: buy a phone, then choose a carrier. I thought eventually it would happen here, but for some reason the bulk of cell phone sales are still tied to carriers. Do carriers make money selling phones? Most installment plans are 0% interest "loans"

It's been that way in Europe for years: buy a phone, then choose a carrier. I thought eventually it would happen here, but for some reason the bulk of cell phone sales are still tied to carriers. Do carriers make money selling phones? Most installment plans are 0% interest "loans"
$1200 dollar phones don't fly off of shelfs...not to mention the real money is in the data they collect off the phone...Verizon has deals with Google and Apple to collect and sell personal info

• Wow
Reactions: comfortably_numb

Final Cut Camera