DTV & DISHTV, Wife said she heard they are merging next week on CNBC today?

CRAP! This better not happen, the only way I can find to keep my prices halfway low is to switch back and forth between DirecTV and Dish every two years.

If anyone has a better approach, I'm all ears.
YTTV.

And DirecTV is now charging $200 for new/returning subscribers for the install.

CRAP! This better not happen, the only way I can find to keep my prices halfway low is to switch back and forth between DirecTV and Dish every two years.

If anyone has a better approach, I'm all ears.
Hmmm, would I lose my Retire discount ???
Then again, its a Merger, so maybe it would stay.

No matter which system would survive, it would take years, and millions upon millions of dollars, to change subscribers over. Meanwhile it would only hasten the decline of pay tv.
No need to switch out customer equipment until one of the satellites reaches end-of-life. And while they wait, Dish will probably continue losing hundreds of thousands of customers per year. So fewer systems to switch out the longer they wait. But they may, of course, decide to do the switch earlier.

Why is this going to hasten the decline of pay tv? I was a Dish customer and I switched to YTTV. So Dish's losses are not necessarily a loss for pay tv. (Not saying they never are).

No need to switch out customer equipment until one of the satellites reaches end-of-life. And while they wait, Dish will probably continue losing hundreds of thousands of customers per year. So fewer systems to switch out the longer they wait. But they may, of course, decide to do the switch earlier.

Why is this going to hasten the decline of pay tv? I was a Dish customer and I switched to YTTV. So Dish's losses are not necessarily a loss for pay tv. (Not saying they never are).
Why would DTV's outdated and substandard equipment be the goto in a merger to replace the potential loss of Dish subs?

Some folks on this forum have convinced themselves either consciously or sub-conciously that only cable and satellite is Pay TV and everything else, including all the major streaming services, are free therefore they couldn't possibly be construed under the heading of Pay TV. Why? Because if they don't view it that way it takes away a major reason to hammer Dish and their world falls apart. :rolleyes:

Reactions: charlesrshell
Why would DTV's outdated and substandard equipment be the goto in a merger to replace the potential loss of Dish subs?
I have no idea which equipment will prevail. It could be DTV because they have a few million more subscribers. Or maybe it will be Dish if a DTV satellite fails first. Only time will tell.....

Reactions: charlesrshell

EchoStar/Dish raises doubts about 'ability to continue as a going concern'