DTV and Dish Network Discuss Merger Talks Again

The feds aren't going to stop it. Back when it was all cable and satellite two big satellite companies merging would never be allowed. Now that cable and especially satellite are dying and streaming is replacing them they won't stand in the way. If they didn't allow it Dish would likely declare bankruptcy and it would be the same situation with only one satellite company, except that millions of Dish customers could be left scrambling.

I mean, Directv bought Dish for $1 + plus assumption of debt, so it isn't like they were going to find another buyer and the debtors sure wouldn't want to try to run them. Lina Kahn will wave this through. Maybe there will be some token conditions applied to prevent Directv abusing their "monopoly" on satellite TV. Some wishy washy language about not raising prices any faster than they'd been raised in the previous few years, or maybe Directv will promise to hold prices firm for two years (maybe that's the reason they were doing an early price increase this fall instead of the usual January timeframe)

or maybe Directv will promise to hold prices firm for two years (maybe that's the reason they were doing an early price increase this fall instead of the usual January timeframe)
They moved up the price hike almost 2 years ago. Price hike in January 2023 was the last time the increase was in January. Then in November 2023 and this year in October 2024.

They moved up the price hike almost 2 years ago. Price hike in January 2023 was the last time the increase was in January. Then in November 2023 and this year in October 2024.
So three in less then 2 years, plus the fact that the one this month was higher then usual.

And was planned before the Disney dispute which doesn't bode well.

Well they knew they were going to make a deal with Disney eventually, and it would be more money. Though it seems like it would have been better optics to hold off until after the deal and then announce a price increase the next month and blame it on Disney lol

i wonder what there gonna do with the sat that dish is having built. i just feel like the merger buys em more time before there dead...

I bet they cancel it. They'd have to pay a penalty, but that's better than ordering a satellite they won't really need. It makes no sense to operate Directv's satellites and both of Dish's arcs. If not being able to replace that satellite means one of Dish's arcs has to shut down in a few years they'll install Directv dishes for those customers. By that time there probably won't be a whole lot of satellite customers left so it would be more practical to do.

Reactions: John2021
I bet they cancel it. They'd have to pay a penalty, but that's better than ordering a satellite they won't really need.
I believe someone posted here some time ago that the cost to cancel exceeds the cost to complete.

They can sell an in orbit functional satellite. Maybe.

Reactions: John2021
I wonder what happens to att u-verse. There are still customers who have the service. The same contract disputes with espn/disney and Directv affected u-verse customers and the channels came back on uverse at the same time Directv & espn resolved the dispute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes but according to the article won't be ready for launch for a few years. They could probably cancel the order and while they'd owe some money, they'd owe a lot less than the full cost of the satellite (and avoid the cost of launching it)
I absolutely could see this. If I remember right, there are 11 transponders on 119 and 3 on 110 that DirecTV/ATT own, and if this goes through, I would assume that the Dish subscribers could then access those transponders with no hardware change. If the Dish customer base needed more space, there is a lot of space there that could be used.

What about merging DTV Via the Net, DTV Stream and Sling TV into one Streaming Service? Plus, they could merge their offices, billing, customer service, broadcast centers, etc. to save money.
how many would leave if they tried to convert everyone over to dtv stream vs sling tv. they would have to come up with lower priced options then you have the haters that just hate dtv and love dish!!!

New DIRECTV Satellite pricing