DP811-Replacing the electric cord? (or avoiding a fleecing)

doughty10

Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
DOES THIS LOOK LIKE A BIT OF A FLEECING?

I have a Dishnetwork DP811. The electric cord was accidently cut. It can certainly be replaced as it is plugged into the mother board. DN says I have to replace the entire unit (hundreds of dollars) whereas a new cord should be a few dollars.

Where can I get a replacement cord to install?

Thanks.

doughty10
New Jersey
housepocket153@yahoo.com

How much cord is still left on the unit? You can always go to any hardware store and get a replacement plug and install that on the end of what's left of the cord. I have seen complete replacement cord assemblies at Home Depot for power equipment that could be made to work.

doughty10 said:
DOES THIS LOOK LIKE A BIT OF A FLEECING?

I have a Dishnetwork DP811. The electric cord was accidently cut. It can certainly be replaced as it is plugged into the mother board. DN says I have to replace the entire unit (hundreds of dollars) whereas a new cord should be a few dollars.

Where can I get a replacement cord to install?

Thanks.

doughty10
New Jersey
housepocket153@yahoo.com
see response number 5 on this thread..so not fix what is not yours..it's leased..call dish....

Damage to a unit cord of that nature would be considered voided warranty damage, not covered under any DISH warranties. If you replace the cord incorrectly or in a substandard manner that's discovered during testing, this would also constitute voided warranty. Leasing a receiver does not give it additional warranty protection as described in the two above posts. Dependant on unit model, the "hundreds of dollars" is in this case $199.00.

Last edited:
I would have to check, but go on ebay and buy a Junk 311 or other receiver with a grounded power cord and you should be able to swap it.

Or go to the hard ware store and buy another plug and if its too short connect it with an extension cord!

You can also by a power cord at Radio Shack with a plug on one end, and bare ends on the other. If the original one is plugged into the mother board, as you say, unplug it, desolder the current wire from the connector, solder the new wire to the connector, and plug it back into the motherboard.

Additionally, you may be able to find a matching connector at Radio Shack as well. So, no need to desolder the original.

It's not the great source of parts that it used to be. They seem to concentrate on cell phones and crappy Thomson-made (RCA) consumer electronics lately. But, you can still find many parts at Radio Shack.

Dish 501

Need Upgrade Advise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts