Do I have the right gear?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gazer

Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
Hi, Another Newbie here with many questions. :D
I recently bought the following things to try and get into the FTA way of doing things.
I should have done more reading on this site first as it seems to be filled with knowledgeable people, but oh-well.Here is what I bought, I tried to set it up with my true south sat. (AMC5) as I am at 79w,43N. Will this set-up receive this amc5 sat?

-Pansat 2500a FTA reciever
-32" Qsat dish with tri-pod
- Fortec star FSKU-V Universal single LNBF
-Microyal DisEqc 1.2 H-H Motor (H2H)

My intent was to grab as many KU birds as possible,but after reading the manuals and Info from this site, I still can't get AMC5 to come in? Lots of signal, no quality.

Also, on another note, i noticed the motor manual said it had a built in sat. table? what does this mean exactly? the motor has a brain?
thanks for any and all replys.

Hello and welcome to the SatelliteGuys.US FTA/MPEG2 forum!

The system you have will work for all the FTA channels (Including AMC-5)

You have to enter the coordinates of a live channel/TP and watch for signal quality as you slowly move the dish, taking small stops every few seconds when moving the dish.

I would use the below to find AMC-5

Kuen-TV

DFreq:11742 MHz (V)
SR : 11.110

or

NYN-1

Dfreq:12179(H)
SR : 23.000 Msps

The motor will have some pre-stored satellite positions using the "GOTO" function/protocol. Since your receiver has USALS I do not think you will need the prestored positions, GOTO is an older way to motor your dish, stick to USALS or DiSEqC 1.2/3 if you can.

Not too familiar with the motor as most people here seem to have the SG2100 but keep the questions coming and we will help all we can!

The L.O. setting for a Universal LNBF is

09750-10600

Hi thanks for replying, I hate to sound like a nub, but what is a "kuen-tv"?
alsso, do I set up the frequencies, or just verifiy that set-up on the receiver?
I am really unfamiliar with all the acronyms you listed, but I am slowly learning.

Thanks again for your patience, I do appreciate it.

Sorry! KUEN-TV is a channel....

You have to enter three things before you will ever get quality....

To start pick a satellite (AMC-5)

Then you have to enter the Frequency (DFreq.)
the polarity (H or V) Horizontal or Vertical
and the symbol Rate (S/R)

You should enter the above in the Antenna set up screen, as you said you have some channels/TP (TP.=transponder) all ready stored on your receiver so if you have a live channel/TP already then you could use that to point the dish.

http://www.lyngsat.com/amc5.html

http://www.dmsiusa.com/charts.htm

Remember KU Freq. have 5 digits

C Freq. have 4 digits (you do not get C band channels with 32" dish and Universal KU LNBF)

Thanks for the Information.
I Went through the setting up of true south, motor to the 0 position, compass,declination ect...blah,blah,blah, but did not do any set-up for the reciever, I took it for granted that it would just be set when I called up "AMC5" for example.
So much more to learn.
I think I got close, I pulled in Telesat 5, but when the dish moved using USALS I got nothing else from any sat's. Does that mean that I dont have the "arc" correct when moving east to west?

Sounds like it, it usually has to be set up pointing at your true south satellite to be able to workout where the other satellites are. You can set it up using IA-5 (Telstar 5) but you would have to do it all with USALS, enter your latitude and longitude in the antenna setup screen, hit USALS, go back to dish and find IA-5 again and you should be set. IA-5 is a great start, LOADS of FTA there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

It's GREAT!

Second, Third . . . Satellites

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)