Disney/ESPN & DIRECTV Reach Deal

Question:
I have ESPN plus and ESPN streaming via the app from my YTTV subscription. The MNF game gave me two options to watch (ESPN plus and streaming ESPN.) Which one has the better PQ or are they the same??
The ESPN app has the best picture quality, real 1080P, on YTTV and all other Live TV Providers (Satellite/Cable), it is 720P

As mentioned before the simulcasts have nothing to do with the dispute. Even if the Disney dispute didn't happen, ALL of the channels I listed would still be simulcasting ABC's debate like they do for every other debate, so we were never in any danger of missing the debate.

Not a single DIRECTV subscriber will be unable to watch tonight's debate because of the dispute. No market has all of their Big 4 locals and PBS in dispute, and even if you opted to drop your locals or live in an unserved market like Bowling Green, every package including the minimal Family or World Direct Basic Choice packages have at least one channel that will be simulcasting the debate. i.e. C-SPAN2 is P/I so it's in every package, along with pay to play channels like Merit Street.

Reactions: lordodogg
I am, I'm just using it as an emergency backup to access the Disney channels until the dispute is resolved. When it's resolved, I'll cancel the free trial, it's a 3 week trial which should be more than enough time for a resolution.
once the YTTV freebie is up keep taking the free trials for espn

I meant on the app which one should I select for better PQ or are they the same (ESPN plus stream v.s ESPN stream...both on the app)?? Are they the same?
they are the same feed and the same PQ. Sometimes the plus stream is an alternate feed, but not usually for big events like MNF

You can subscribe to almost any provider and link your account to ESPN+ to receive all of the ESPN channels as long as that provider carries them.
I am temporarily subscribed to Hulu Live just so I have a provider to link to.
The PQ on ESPN+ far exceeds the linear channel.

Reactions: Johnnyspot
You can subscribe to almost any provider and link your account to ESPN+ to receive all of the ESPN channels as long as that provider carries them.
You can only receive ESPN+ programming if you pay for it, you are linked to regular ESPN via your Provider, where people gets confused, it is the same app.
I am temporarily subscribed to Hulu Live just so I have a provider to link to.
Is that free for the trial?

I know YTTV had a free trial.
The PQ on ESPN+ far exceeds the linear channel.
Again, the app is ESPN, the programming for + is inside that app.

But yes, picture quality is great, real 1080P vs the down conversion to 720P for Paid Live TV.

Reactions: Foxbat
You can only receive ESPN+ programming if you pay for it, you are linked to regular ESPN via your Provider, where people gets confused, it is the same app.

Is that free for the trial?

I know YTTV had a free trial.

Again, the app is ESPN, the programming for + is inside that app.

But yes, picture quality is great, real 1080P vs the down conversion to 720P for Paid Live TV.
Agree completely on PQ but although a non issue to many people, the sound is garbage. Stereo only.

Agree completely on PQ but although a non issue to many people, the sound is garbage. Stereo only.
I watch ESPN+ via the Hulu app, DD+ on there.

Sports/News are the only things I view Live, TV Shows from Paid Live TV, I watch on the streaming services for the better Video/sound quality, for example, CBS Shows are in at least 1080P, about half are in 4K, DD+ or Atmos sound ( depending on the show).

Reactions: I WANT MORE
Sports often is more digitally demanding due to all of the motion.
Except he was the only one here who reported a issue, others posted here it was fine for them, myself included.

Except he was the only one here who reported a issue, others posted here it was fine for them, myself included.
Well, he may simply be closer to bandwidth/throughput threshold on his setup.

It would seem patently illegal to me for a programmer to ask a provider to sign away right to sue or complain to FCC. Finally, a sizeable provider has stood up to them, though years late as streaming muddles everything.

Sports often is more digitally demanding due to all of the motion.
I had the issues in the early days of live streaming, but havent in years now. The biggest culprit in those days was ESPN (whatever it was called at the time. 360 maybe)

Just guessing, but I dont think it was an ESPN+ issue in Jimbos instance, since I havent seen any other reports of it.

As to what the problem is, I am not sure.

DIRECTV CMO (Chief Marketing Officer) Vince Torres told a financial conference today that subscriber defections “have not been immaterial” since the company lost the entire Disney suite of channels, including ESPN, on September 1. However, he said the company expects to ‘claw back’ those subscriber numbers when it ultimately reaches a new deal with Disney.

Rumors are they are high and have grown everyday.

And if he thinks he will get them back, I would believe him to be incorrect, go back to a more expensive service, old equipment and a new 2 year contract, what happens if DirecTV gets rid of other stations, quite likely based on their current rhetoric, with a new contract, they would be stuck on the Satellite /by internet side or no contract with Stream, but that is about $50 more then YTTV.

Reactions: longhorn23

Moved and switched to Directv Stream - Is Gemini worth it?

DTV and Dish Network Discuss Merger Talks Again