Disney/ESPN & DIRECTV Reach Deal

With the Football Season upcoming, I believe losing ESPN might be a step too far for subscribers.

One of the main reasons people have DirecTV is because of sports, so it is not a good idea to get rid of the most popular sports channel, right before their highest rated content starts up this week.

There are just too many options to switch to, that were not available when DirecTV had 24 Million subscribers 7 years ago.

All it take is a few clicks, then you have YTTV, Hulu Live, etc.

DirecTV is basically challenging people to check them out, which is not a good idea, especially since they are less expensive and one in particular, is a great service.

For example-
As a (very recently) former DTV subsciber, let me warn you that switching to YTTV is dangerous. I thought the learning curve and hating not having numbers would have me back at DTV before the 3rd day of my 7 day trial, but alas, it actually was quite the opposite experience.

Ridiculously superior PQ, the ability to sort my favorites so that the 15ish channels I watch regularly show up at the top, and a better app experience (I travel a lot and watching from the road has been way easier).

If you, like Tom, are getting a great deal and everything you need, you should definitely keep DTV for as long as you can. If you're on the fence, it's worth a 7 day trial. But don't say I didn't warn you.

With the Football Season upcoming, I believe losing ESPN might be a step too far for subscribers.

One of the main reasons people have DirecTV is because of sports, so it is not a good idea to get rid of the most popular sports channel, right before their highest rated content starts up this week.

There are just too many options to switch to, that were not available when DirecTV had 24 Million subscribers 7 years ago.

DirecTV is basically challenging people to check them out, which is not a good idea, especially since they are less expensive and one in particular, is a great service.

For example-

Yeah, DirecTV's premise is flawed, as switching will get people their programming they're missing literally with a few clicks

Disputes are part of the industry, but when your value proposition doesn't exceed the friction caused by the inability to provide the programming people are expecting (in this case, the most popular sport in the country, as part of a service that historically has prided itself on providing sports) then here comes the churn and the creation of a customer who more often than not will never return.

I suspect this dispute gets so much more devastating long term for DirecTV if they're unable to come to an agreement this weekend.

anyone else get the feeling that this dispute is about to be a "see you in court" one between both parties suing each other over disagreement and lack of good faith.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Howard Simmons

Edit, since there was no summary:

In the thick of a contentious contract battle with the Walt Disney Company, DirecTV this week is sending a surprisingly forthright message to some customers who are threatening to cancel their subscriptions and switch TV providers: Sorry, but things are tough all over.​
“Switching isn’t the answer,” the company is telling angry social media users who have expressed their displeasure after Disney-owned channels, including ESPN and ABC, went dark this week. “The loss of sports, shows, and movies affect the entire industry, including streaming services.”​
DirecTV’s official X account has been tweeting similar messages over and over and over in response to a firehose of customer complaints, which have been almost constant since the standoff began. Viewers across social media have displayed increasingly greater urgency as the start of the new NFL season draws near, with many saying they will jump ship if the situation is not resolved by then.​
This is Stupid of these people ...
They don't realize that Directv is Not the ones that took the channels down .... they all think its D*'s fault, but its not.
Directv just passes the signal along .... if the Channel parent doesn't want them to be seen, so be it.

For example-
Except, you have to realize that there are Sports on D* all over the channels, not just ESPN.
Espn has Some, but the majority are Not on ESPN.

For example, the only thing I missed this weekend between College and Pro will be .... maybe the Sunday night game.

I signed up for Disney Bundle (Disney Hulu and ESPN) al long time ago ...
With D being the provider ... so I lose those channels.

However, I remembered that I also get that package thru my Verizon package ... So, I signed OUT of my ESPN account and signed back in with my Verizon info and I'm good to go. (it's working now, well see Sat and Monday) I should be good.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Jimbo, you have fios and Directv? Or are you talking about the espn+/disney bundle from vz wireless

Yeah, DirecTV's premise is flawed, as switching will get people their programming they're missing literally with a few clicks

Disputes are part of the industry, but when your value proposition doesn't exceed the friction caused by the inability to provide the programming people are expecting (in this case, the most popular sport in the country, as part of a service that historically has prided itself on providing sports) then here comes the churn and the creation of a customer who more often than not will never return.

I suspect this dispute gets so much more devastating long term for DirecTV if they're unable to come to an agreement this weekend.
but giving up the right to sue ESPN over packaging? or giveup most favored nations rights?

I signed up for Disney Bundle (Disney Hulu and ESPN) al long time ago ...
With D being the provider ... so I lose those channels.

However, I remembered that I also get that package thru my Verizon package ... So, I signed OUT of my ESPN account and signed back in with my Verizon info and I'm good to go. (it's working now, well see Sat and Monday) I should be good.
You won't be able to watch games that are solely on a ESPN linear station. BC vs FSU was on ESPN, it wasn't available on ESPN+. USC vs LSU was on ABC & ESPN, so that usually means ESPN+ also.

MNF week 1 is on ABC & ESPN, so I think you should be able to watch it on ESPN+.

Reactions: lordodogg
Directv's message to customers was pretty self serving, but it is true that whoever they move to will inevitably face the same thing (I guess unless they go to Hulu Live TV since Disney owns that) A lot of Disney contracts are coming up in the next year or so.

The thing is, if you go with a service that's month to month without any two year commitment thing it doesn't hurt you. You can just switch again. That's a pain, but that's the new reality.

Directv's message to customers was pretty self serving, but it is true that whoever they move to will inevitably face the same thing (I guess unless they go to Hulu Live TV since Disney owns that) A lot of Disney contracts are coming up in the next year or so.
YouTube TV contract with Disney has a year or two to go, by the time it is over, ESPN streaming will have started up (planned for August 2025).

Then, I assume, they will over a new bundle, with Disney+/Hulu/ESPN, like they do now with ESPN+, then you will not really need those channels via a TV Provider.

All the content from those channels, both Live and next day, will be on the streaming service.
The thing is, if you go with a service that's month to month without any two year commitment thing it doesn't hurt you. You can just switch again. That's a pain, but that's the new reality.
That is the advantage, I cancel YouTube in January, start it back up first week of September, next year, I will not have to do that, because of ESPN going streaming.

MNF week 1 is on ABC & ESPN, so I think you should be able to watch it on ESPN+.
This Monday, yes, it will be on plus, 2nd Monday, not on the schedule for +, 3rd Monday, yes again, will be on +, but only the second game, two games that week, first game only on ESPN, second on ABC and +.

You won't be able to watch games that are solely on a ESPN linear station. BC vs FSU was on ESPN, it wasn't available on ESPN+. USC vs LSU was on ABC & ESPN, so that usually means ESPN+ also.

So, if you have espn, that doesn't include espn + ???

How STUPID .

When you go into the ESPN app, (IIRC) it shows espn and espn+.
Does that not mean I have espn+ ?

More STUPIDITY ...
No, Live TV Providers do not like MNF on every week on different channels/services, they were unhappy when it was on ABC also last year, hence why not every game will be on ABC either.

No, Live TV Providers do not like MNF on every week on different channels/services, they were unhappy when it was on ABC also last year, hence why not every game will be on ABC either.
So, they LIKE it when you have to go to 7 different places to watch 1 product ?

Reactions: AZ.
So, if you have espn, that doesn't include espn + ???

How STUPID .

When you go into the ESPN app, (IIRC) it shows espn and espn+.
Does that not mean I have espn+ ?
No, he means the opposite...

If you have ESPN+ as a part of your Disney bundle frim Verizon. You don't get the ESPN linear broadcast channels like ESPN, ESPNU, and ESPN2. ....

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

• Sad
Reactions: Jimbo
I think Yespage comment in the NFL thread was unfortunately soon to be true ....

As a reminder, the first quarter of tonight's game is on Amazon. The second quarter is available on Fox. The third quarter is on CBS. The fourth quarter will be available on the NFL Network. Any overtime will require going north of the border to catch it on CBC. This is of course related to the first, second, and fourth downs. All third downs will only be available on the NFL's latest streaming platform Third Down.

An alternate broadcast of the game will be available on Discovery+ and include two monkeys and a stick.

I think Yespage comment in the NFL thread was unfortunately soon to be true ....

As a reminder, the first quarter of tonight's game is on Amazon. The second quarter is available on Fox. The third quarter is on CBS. The fourth quarter will be available on the NFL Network. Any overtime will require going north of the border to catch it on CBC. This is of course related to the first, second, and fourth downs. All third downs will only be available on the NFL's latest streaming platform Third Down.

An alternate broadcast of the game will be available on Discovery+ and include two monkeys and a stick.
Just watch the reruns on NFL network

Reactions: alnielsen
No, he means the opposite...

If you have ESPN+ as a part of your Disney bundle frim Verizon. You don't get the ESPN linear broadcast channels like ESPN, ESPNU, and ESPN2. ....

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
Wasn't the cry to go streaming, based on you get Everything ????

Not so in this case.

Moved and switched to Directv Stream - Is Gemini worth it?

DTV and Dish Network Discuss Merger Talks Again