DISH Network II

With E6/E8/E11/119(dunno the number)/AMC14 , can they not get off to a good start.

I'm counting one bird right now... AMC14, until someone can prove me wrong about E6 & E8 being able to be used outside their designed frequency specs (which I hope someone can prove me different on this one).

What do I see AMC14 used for? Yet, another wing dish for pure HD. Possibly freeing up Echostar 12 to converted to spot beam capabilities. 129W will be kicked into spotbeam mode once Ceil gets their bird up there. Maybe by that time Dish will have another bird up in the air to complement AMC14.

Of course this is all speculation, as I and many others don't know all the facts about the birds capabilities. But if everything goes as planned with D*'s 4 KA birds, DishNetwork is going be hurting no matter even if D* compresses the hell out of their MPEG4 HD and downrez's it to 1280x1080i.

I hope they prove me wrong but I don't see E6 or E8 working outside of their designed frequency specs.

I believe the deal that Dish has is that they can use 86.5 and 97 DBS frequencies, so they do not have to change the frequencies used. They were given the ok to build satellites for these locations.

I refer you to http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-06-2440A1.pdf

The question will be how well the E6/8 footprint covers the lower 48 from the new slots.

Hmmm- looks like I started something here...

Well, I don't really know anything more than before, but at least I know I didn't imagine it. It's a great idea.

I've for a 622 and I point my own dishes, so if DISH needs a beta tester... ;)

I believe the deal that Dish has is that they can use 86.5 and 97 DBS frequencies, so they do not have to change the frequencies used. They were given the ok to build satellites for these locations.

I refer you to http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-06-2440A1.pdf

The question will be how well the E6/8 footprint covers the lower 48 from the new slots.

What was the outcome for this? I remember a lot of crying from Canada about this one. Is it still approved for use?

Trust me, I'd love to see some satellite specs sheet to prove myself wrong, or some other sort of press release.
Unfortunately Dish is not going to release anything about this until its ready. Thats the way they do things.

I would do things differently if I were them... But I am here and they are there...

(And Charlie can't afford me) :D

Of course AMC-14 does not have to be launched to start the new system. If they get E11 up successfully, they could then move E8 and E6 to the new slot (lets say 97 to only be 13 degrees off footprint).

E8 could use the spot beams taking 5 CONUS TPs, and between E6/E8 have 27 CONUS TPs.

Compare that with 110/119. 49 TPs (one leased out for distants), 15 used for spots, yielding 34 CONUS TPs. 3 (?) being used for HD. This yields 31 TPs of standard definition. If they get 2x the channels/TP with MPEG-4/8PSK lets say 15 TPs carry all the non HD content of 110/119. That yeilds them about 12 TPs of space left over. At 6 HD/TP that would have capacity for 72 national HD channels.

So, optimistcally with just E11 going up they could have the entire system (CONUS not LiL) with room for some expansion. The question will be how many of the E8 spots will be useable. They had capacity for 25 downlinks in the past, but that included AK/HI and PR. Best case would be 25 useful downlinks, maybe LiL HD for some cities major nets (ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC/CW/PBS), and of course they would have to have the standard def too of other locals.

When AMC-14 finally gets up and usable that will give them 32 more TPs CONUS, which I am sure they will use a lot of them for LiL since they will want all the major DMAs covered, and still have some for HD expansion. Then in the future they can launch a spot beam satellite to the same slot to offload the CONUS LiL to spot beam. A nice growth plan...

It is of course just speculation at this point, just based on E11 and AMC-14 going up this year.

This is *ish, lets not forget
the only plan they have is to implement more nickel and dime fees!
assume makes an ass of you and me
just kidding

we all know Charlis is an Ass!

I know, when you use the word assume, youre asking for it :) .

Heres how I see it, Dish has been up around the top for awhile. Everyone has a plan that they have announced(except Dish):

D* (4 total sats up for Mpeg4)
TWC/Comcast using SDV and moving analogs to digital

I dont think for a minute that Dish doesn't have a plan. Itd be nice if they were clear, but they arent. Dish seems like the CIA about stuff, much more than D* is, but that does not mean they arent working on something.

I dont think for a minute that Dish doesn't have a plan. Itd be nice if they were clear, but they arent. Dish seems like the CIA about stuff, much more than D* is, but that does not mean they arent working on something.

Boy, what a switch. Years ago it was D* that was lik the CIA and E* was wide open with their plans, now it's the other way around.

Boy, what a switch. Years ago it was D* that was lik the CIA and E* was wide open with their plans, now it's the other way around.

Yeah, my comment is based on their HD plans plus the list of HD channels they keep showing of who they have signed. You dont even hear who E* has been talking to. (Unless Scott tells us :) )

Here is my take...

I bet... Dish launches all channels in either up converted to some extent or native HD....

and relaunch dish receivers with scalers in them to convert to what ever format / resolution the end users TV works best at... This way instead of using the bandwidth for HD and SD of the same channel... they can just focus on HD delivery and let the end users receiver handle the formating needs.

How much real difference is their between say cbs and cbshd or fox and foxhd in content?

Last edited:
Here is my take...

I bet... Dish launches all channels in either up converted to some extent or native HD....

and relaunch dish receivers with scalers in them to convert to what ever format / resolution the end users TV works best at... This way instead of using the bandwidth for HD and SD of the same channel... they can just focus on HD delivery and let the end users receiver handle the formating needs.

How much real difference is their between say cbs and cbshd or fox and foxhd in content?

There's no difference in content, only picture quality. The MPEG4 service is to be used with the VIP series receivers. Once the MPEG4 service is launched, you will find that most new connect work orders will feature VIP receivers almost exclusively. All of the capabilites that you have with 322, 625 and 301 model receivers can be found also in the VIPs, only w/HD too. Over time the 322, 625 and 301 series types will likely begin to get phased out just as the legacy boxes are now. Granted all of this will take place over the course of a few years, but that's the direction it's heading. As far as additional hardware, the only thing that MIGHT be required would be a digital/analog converter for 211 receivers that will be connecting to TVs that only have a coax input. Currently the 211 has no coax output. So there may be like a RCA/Coax converter box required or something. Ohter than that, everything should be a pretty easy transition.

What I meant by that statement was, I would figure in this day and age you could build and launch a sat pretty fast. But that is not the case.
If the satellite is a 702 built by Boeing, you can expect that it will be around six months late on delivery. IIRC, E* has been buying more SSL satellites lately.

Dish 625 dvr

Moving from 522

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)