Dish exec says Hulu is killing TV industry

Boo Hoo Dish. How about asking dish why they are charging me $17 Dollars for each extra Two Tuner DVR on my account, especially considering I own each extra receiver outright as I purchased each secondary receiver on my account at FULL RETAIL. Pot meet kettle, "Wow I didn't know you were black as well as me, Pot". Ooh and Dish, thanks for pushing me into being a two Provider customer, at least for a while.

John

greed is what's killing the TV industry. Whenever a company goes public it usually starts to go downhill, from there it all becomes about share price and the bottom line. Suddenly you need to provide all these shareholders 'value' .. cry me a river. Go ala carte and get the expensive sports channels off the main package to their own package and we can talk. People should know plainly which channels are doing the price gouging. I have no respect for companies that tack on hidden charges and add on fees to the 'advertised' price, but they all seem to do it, thus I don't have respect for that many corporations.

Well if the EPG was correct and my timers fired off and act as they should, I would not have to go to the net to get the programming that I am paying for and depending on DISH to provide. But after years of complaining and submitting examples, DISH still doesn't get it. So they get what they deserve, competition on their half a$$ed software and EPG.

Dish is safe from Hulu for the near future. At least until the advertisers and networks start waking up to the amount of people watching online and making a concerted effort to market to those people. Online viewers mean nothing to their ratings so until that changes, Dish is fine.

It means nothing to the ratings, but it gives precise metrics and forced plays for the advertising within the show.

Such services as Hulu and Netflix are a danger to Dish, DirecTV, and the cable companies. It will take several years (especially since cable companies are also content providers), but why do I need Dish to; package, receive, process, and uplink content. I should be able to pay the content provider directly and stream the content. It will not be pure a-la-cart because people like Disney will force you to get all of Disney, ESPN, etc if you only want one channel. However, you will not have to get ESPN if all you want is Lifetime. I will pay less and the content providers will make more.

This is what is funny- if you are depending on Hulu and or netflix as your main sources for TV, then you obviously have a high speed connection to support these services. This means you have a almost guaranteed chance at receiving OTA signals. If you are worried about content being blocked, or not available next day, buy a DVR and set it up. DTVPal or TIVOHD (small fee but will give you netflix too).

HULU is not killing the industry. The industry giants are doing the damage. People want one box to do it all, but because of disputes, this will probably never happen.

I live in an area with high speed internet however the terrain in this area makes it hard to receive a stable OTA signal from my local TV channel. Dish Network is doing most of this to themselves with contract disputes, fee increases and litigation that makes people uneasy (Will I have a DVR come 2012 or not?) Personally I have contemplated leaving the traditional provider but I still like the convenience of sitting down and not searching for what I want to watch on the internet. I know I spend more time browsing my netflix queue, and adding more movies to it than actually watching in a sitting.

Free preview channels for non-subscribers

722k to 722k

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)