Declination angle

I need to know the declination angle for a cband satellite at 41 degrees latitude

So your question is, what would be the declination angle for a cband satellite dish at 41 degrees latitude?

Your declination offset angle would be: the axis elevation angle you have chosen, minus your clarke belt total elevation angle due south (42.6 degrees).
So what axis elevation have you chosen? 49 degrees ("traditional angles"), or something like 48.4 degrees (better, "modified angles")?

Greetz,
A33

Ok I looked up 101w and the difference between true and actual was 7.2 is that my declination then?and my next question is when I look up 133 west it changed to higher number like 7.7 for difference. I'm trying to get 55west to 133 west like I was getting before I changed out ballbearings.91 west comes in at very high signal and so does 103west but 101west when I scan it I was getting travel channel wich never seen open ,hallmark ,and daystar and when I go down to 103 I'm getting everything I had there plus laugh tv bunch that was never there why would I have decent quality on those but satellites between very sketchy especially 101 I liked the me tv bunch

Ok I looked up 101w and the difference between true and actual was 7.2 is that my declination then?
So you're using a polar mount. Fine. Declination angle never changes once set. Same as your elevation (latitude). And azimuth. All depends on how accurate the initial settings are.

and my next question is when I look up 133 west it changed to higher number like 7.7 for difference.
Look at our other posts. Especially the satellite arc chart showing errors and the solutions. Very helpful and valuable.
133W changed to 7.7....what? The polar mount, when setup correctly, will take care of all of your geometry.

I'm trying to get 55west to 133 west like I was getting before I changed out ballbearings.91 west comes in at very high signal and so does 103west but 101west when I scan it I was getting travel channel wich never seen open ,hallmark ,and daystar and when I go down to 103 I'm getting everything I had there plus laugh tv bunch that was never there why would I have decent quality on those but satellites between very sketchy especially 101 I liked the me tv bunch
The arc chart will help you find out why. 91W and 103W is coming in good. Ok. 101W is very close to 103W.
Did you move the dish on the pole so as to upset the true South alignment?
Get your strong satellite signals peaked as high as you can. Then. Pull and push the bottom of the dish rim to aim it higher or lower and see if the signal changes. Do it on 91W. Write it on paper. Like "push or pull".
Go to 103W. Do the same. And the same for 101W. How about 99W? 105W? You get it.
Then refer to the dish tweak chart and start figuring it out.

Ball bearings? Did you replace the pivot bearings? Or do like me and swapped the worn out bushings and bolts for pillow blocks? How much did you change the mechanical dish alignment settings?
Let's focus here. It can all be fixed with a bit of wth is going on.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Ok I looked up 101w and the difference between true and actual was 7.2 is that my declination then?and my next question is when I look up 133 west it changed to higher number like 7.7 for difference. I'm trying to get 55west to 133 west like I was getting before I changed out ballbearings.91 west comes in at very high signal and so does 103west but 101west when I scan it I was getting travel channel wich never seen open ,hallmark ,and daystar and when I go down to 103 I'm getting everything I had there plus laugh tv bunch that was never there why would I have decent quality on those but satellites between very sketchy especially 101 I liked the me tv bunch
I'm at 43 north latitude, and the declination is very close to 6.0 degrees (within a couple hundredths).
41 degree latitude should get you in the neighborhood of about 5.7 degrees.
If you are in Ohio, due south is going to be considerably further east than 91 West, but not necessarily
on an active C-band satellite. You may have to split the difference between 87 West (Ku band: Louisiana PBS) and perhaps the NIMIQ DBS satellite at 82 West. Please confirm your exact latitude and longitude, and we can be more precise on declination numbers as well as true south setting.

I'm at 43 north latitude, and the declination is very close to 6.0 degrees (within a couple hundredths).
41 degree latitude should get you in the neighborhood of about 5.7 degrees.
If you are in Ohio, due south is going to be considerably further east than 91 West, but not necessarily
on an active C-band satellite. You may have to split the difference between 87 West (Ku band: Louisiana PBS) and perhaps the NIMIQ DBS satellite at 82 West. Please confirm your exact latitude and longitude, and we can be more precise on declination numbers as well as true south setting.
Personally I would start at the bottom inset of the attachment.
Figure out where the major tracking error is happening and then making adjustments to minimize them.
Then work wider and wider arcs.
Tuning _The_Arc_Inset.jpg

It was ball bearings oon top only like 3 balls left I had heavy duty tarp straps to keep it from moving in the wind I watch Canadian channels on 119 alot.im trying to get back to factory declination settings that I messed with prob 5 years ago .I have a 9ft old radio shack do it yourself kit that I've been using for 30 plus years. If some one in north west ohio area could let me know what declination angle should be set at

41 is right at my latitude, and my old C-band memory is telling me it's 6 deg.

To my thinking you don't really set the elevation first, but rather the declination. Then you point the dish south with the polar axis aligned straight N-S and mount locked on pole and bring the elevation to a generally expected positioning and start signal searching. Once you have signal looking due south optimized for elevation you can try motoring to east or west and see if you can continue to pick up signals. If you then find signal toward E or W but it requires elevation adjustment, then you can try very small azimuth adjustments to either E or W (mount on pole) to find the balance that allows the same elevation setting to peak signals both up high in the arc (S) and down lower to either (or both) E or W.

Personally I would start at the bottom inset of the attachment.
Figure out where the major tracking error is happening and then making adjustments to minimize them.
Then work wider and

41 is right at my latitude, and my old C-band memory is telling me it's 6 deg.

To my thinking you don't really set the elevation first, but rather the declination. Then you point the dish south with the polar axis aligned straight N-S and mount locked on pole and bring the elevation to a generally expected positioning and start signal searching. Once you have signal looking due south optimized for elevation you can try motoring to east or west and see if you can continue to pick up signals. If you then find signal toward E or W but it requires elevation adjustment, then you can try very small azimuth adjustments to either E or W (mount on pole) to find the balance that allows the same elevation setting to peak signals both up high in the arc (S) and down lower to either (or both) E or W.

Ok I was at 6.0 on left side and 5.75 on right before I changed both top and bottom ball bearings and I was at about 5.75 on both when put it back together so I'll try 6.0 on both and if cant improve I may go back to 6.0 and 5.75 again and try that again I'm getting everything on 91 that I had and I'm getting everything on 133 I had to

"getting everything on 91 that I had and I'm getting everything on 133"
Okay. Let's take a more logical approach. Look at the diagram and try to digest what is going on with your tracking.
Jot everything down on paper. My dish mount azimuth is roll pinned on the 6" well casing it's been on since it was installed in the 80's. Read careful. When I changed the pivot bushing to bearings. Checking elevation was done using the dish mounting fixture it is bolted to.And so was declination after elevation.
The dish mount matched the polar elevation elevation adjustment.
And the dish face. Straight edge from top to bottom when dish was highest in the arc. That angle matched the other two.
THEN add declination. Your dish face will drop that many degrees.
Then you snag the first satellite highest in the arc closest to your true South. Or at least try to.
Check your dish. Is pulling down or pushing up on the rim giving a stronger signal?
Make an elevation adjustment to peak the signal.
Declination angle is always math determined from your elevation (latitude) angle. Don't pee with it yet.
91 is good and strong. Your pencil on paper shows it.
So you choose to swing the dish west. Grab your next sat. Get the strongest signal you can.
Push, pull the rim. What makes the signal stronger? Write it down.
Find the next one. Do it again. Write the results down again.
And again. When you get a pattern going. Look at the chart. It's right there. One of the hints will tell you what's up.
If the only thing you did was change pivot bearings and never touched the azimuth (spun the dish on the pole east or west). Then it's all elevation and declination tweaks.

Detailed? You betcha'. Could you be a bit more clear? 6 on the left side of what? 5.75 on the right of???
Poughkeepsie? Yonkas'? lol.

---------------------------------

91. adjusted elevation from 42 to 43.5 to peak.
99. pulled down to peak.
103. pulled down.

91. adjusted elev. to 44
99. pulled a little to peak
103. pulled a little more than 99.
Chart time. Look at what's happening.

Primestar 84e LNB LO?

What in the world am I doing wrong?