cut wire to new receiver FAQs

ejoslin7

Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
boston
I moved into an apt with wires running from the satellite through my wall. I hope I can pull those a little ways but from there
do I shear the wires and connect them to ____?
will any receiver work? dish receivers on ebay for instance?
will dish contact me and give me any problems or fees for adding the room?

I might have lost my temper when dish tried roping my uncle into a 24 month term for adding a room that had clearly wired there before.

I tried searching the site but seems like the questions are above my knowledge
ThanksE

If it is Dish, it may depend on whether you have access to an EA or WA sat setup. WA would work with any Dish receiver but if it is EA, then you need either a Vip or Hopper depending on what you currently have. If you don't have either, you can get one type of the other. If it is a Direct tv seup, you would need a Direct tv receiver. If it is a FTA, there may be other factors, but a FTA type would be needed. Note: it sounds more like your uncle tried to get the new receiver through Dish by leasing the receiver, adding a purchased receiver does not extend a subscriber's commitment. If Dish has to send a tech out to run new wires to connect another receiver may incur a fee for the visit, but shouldn't extend the commitment.

Before you cut any wires, you need to determine where they go. Is this a multi apartment building or a residential building. Are they part of the apartments wiring to a central distribution point.
PM a member of the Dirt Team, their names will be in red if you go to the top of the forum. There is no real advantage to buying a receiver on ebay if you plan on staying with Dish for 2 years. Many people get burned when the find out that there is either a balance on the receiver or someone is selling a leased receiver which they do not own.

Also, be sure to get written permission from the building manager/landlord stating what the tech can & cant do (i know most apts in my area dont allow ANY holes on the building & the dish has to be in the customers apt area/deck). This will make it easier on you & the tech ntm keeps you covered from any damages fees from the landlord.

As for the contract extension, its not a matter of existing cables or not. Dish & direct both charge fees depending oj the number of unique tvs (watch its own channel different from others in system). If you change the number of tvs, the fees change. Both hate changing the number of tvs without getting a new 2 years. A minor caveat to this is if you dont mind having 2 tvs show the same picture (if one changes channels, so does the other). Its called a mirror outlet. I know dish charges a 1-time fee for a tech to install a mirror outlet. Last I checked it was $50/ea.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using SatelliteGuys

I assume that is to mean eastern access or western access and the sat seems to point in the eastern direction. If it's about location still I am on the east coast.
It is Dish and I can't seem to find anywhere that compares receivers. The Hopper comes at a monthly charge, right?

Thank you very much for the fee info on the visit, I don't want to extend his warranty over adding my room but I also am in a little over my head here!

This is a residential building in which my uncle is leasing me the top floor apt of their house. It's been a very difficult time for me and I'm trying to make the best choice of adding the room to his contract to keep the price down while not interferring with his contract responsibilities. I can't make a 2 year commitment on anything, especially tv so that's where I am on that.

ejoslin7 said:
I assume that is to mean eastern access or western access and the sat seems to point in the eastern direction. If it's about location still I am on the east coast.
It is Dish and I can't seem to find anywhere that compares receivers. The Hopper comes at a monthly charge, right?

Thank you very much for the fee info on the visit, I don't want to extend his warranty over adding my room but I also am in a little over my head here!

No, this has to do to with the location of the satellites. Dish aims roughly to the SW & SE while direct aims roughly South between the 2 Dish aims. If the dish is aiming SE then you'll have to get a Dish ViP series reciever (ie., 211, 222, 612, 722) or the Hopper.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using SatelliteGuys

The hole's already there and my uncle is very understanding this way.

I see, a mirror outlet would not be beneficial for our situation... I understand I suppose, just doesn't make sense to lose a customer when there are plenty of bundles with multiple rooms with a 24mo signup that would be preferred to extending it for JUST a room.

I think what you want to do is add a receiver to your uncle's account. It would be beneficial to do the installation yourself to avoid Dish deciding you are account-stacking and cut you and your uncle off. I am assuming your uncle's house is zoned for a single family. If it's zoned otherwise, Dish might still check and get suspicous and give your uncle a call. You don't want that to happen.

If you buy a receiver from Ebay, make sure it's not leased (stolen equipment!) and has no balance. Then, you can install it and have your uncle activate it for free. But there will be a monthly fee for any receiver added to an account. The fees are as follows:

411/211/211k solo receiver $7/mo
612 solo DVR receiver $10/mo
622/722/722k/922 duo DVR receivers $17/mo

That is assuming your uncle doesn't currently have a Hopper.

All clear now?

You can't extend a room for free, unless you are watching what another receiver is watching. OR - using a 722 receiver and don't want HD. If you want independant viewing or HD there will be an additional fee a month no matter if you buy a receiver (which I do not usually recommend) or get one from Dish to use. There is no montly cost benefit to buying your own receiver. Adding a room does not always mean extending a contract. If Dish is insisting on that there may be more to the story. And if you are renting or otherwise in a multi family dwelling it is generally illegal to be on someone's account.

EXACTLY for the first part. I think it's zoned single family anyway.

Pretty freaking clear now, you're the best! (though I still may be back for some more help!)

I think what you want to do is add a receiver to your uncle's account. It would be beneficial to do the installation yourself to avoid Dish deciding you are account-stacking and cut you and your uncle off. I am assuming your uncle's house is zoned for a single family. If it's zoned otherwise, Dish might still check and get suspicous and give your uncle a call. You don't want that to happen.

If you buy a receiver from Ebay, make sure it's not leased (stolen equipment!) and has no balance. Then, you can install it and have your uncle activate it for free. But there will be a monthly fee for any receiver added to an account. The fees are as follows:

That is assuming your uncle doesn't currently have a Hopper.

All clear now?

I'm ok with the fee I just don't appreciate them forcing me to sign a new 24 mo agreement when my uncle has already cleared up his obligation to Dish. I am staying with him til I get on my feet, it's not a multi-family dwelling I am simply in a room. I'm down on my luck but not a scumbag.

You can't extend a room for free, unless you are watching what another receiver is watching. OR - using a 722 receiver and don't want HD. If you want independant viewing or HD there will be an additional fee a month no matter if you buy a receiver (which I do not usually recommend) or get one from Dish to use. There is no montly cost benefit to buying your own receiver. Adding a room does not always mean extending a contract. If Dish is insisting on that there may be more to the story. And if you are renting or otherwise in a multi family dwelling it is generally illegal to be on someone's account.

I spoke with the "supervisor" about this and he made it very clear that there is absolutely no way a leased receiver could be done wihtout a 24mo agreement. They were great customers so I'm not sure what the "may be more to the story" could be?

ejoslin7 said:
I spoke with the "supervisor" about this and he made it very clear that there is absolutely no way a leased receiver could be done wihtout a 24mo agreement. They were great customers so I'm not sure what the "may be more to the story" could be?

There are folks on this forum that work for Dish. They are refered to as the DIRT team. Dish Internet Response Team. The sole purpose is to help folks cut through the BS and get answers that are honest. They cant solve every problem just most and they don't always give the answer you want but they will definitely tell you the truth and do their best to resolve issues.
They are listed in red at either the top or bottom of the page. I'm using mobile right now, so i can't tell you which it is. Contact one of them you will get answers.

Good luck

Roas

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROID RAZR Maxx using SatelliteGuys

Sorry about the missing 222/k!

But there will be a monthly fee for any receiver added to an account. The fees are as follows:

222/222k duo receiver $14/mo

Solo/duo refers to the number of independent TV outputs. If it's solo, all the outputs show the same thing. If it's duo, there are outputs for two TVs. TV1 has HD outputs, while TV2 has only SD outputs. Most of these receivers also have a single OTA tuner, which gets you your local channels not carried by Dish, or not carried by Dish in HD, and all the local subchannels. The 222k, 722k, and 922 can take an extra cost module with TWO OTA tuners.

Adding a receiver should not incur a new 24mo commitment. So that is why Tampa is suggesting we don't know the whole story.

Last edited:
I'm down on my luck but not a scumbag.

Lol, fair enough. I have added a room in the past, with no issue, no contract extension. I know others have added a receiver to an existing account with no contract extension. So I'm wondering if more needs to be done than just add a receiver, does he have SD only and you want to upgrade to HD? As mentioned a DIRT member here can give the best official Dish answer.

Have you been to the Dish website, they describe their receivers.

Thanks Ross, someone mentioned the dirt team before and I don't have anyone in red on the top or bottom of the page. I want to post a screenshot so you believe me haha.
I don't WANT to buy and install a receiver myself I just wasn't given another option by the guy on dish's side besides the 24 mo extension. It's enough that I'm am imposing on my uncle, I don't want to get him stuck in a 2 year contract over me wanting to watch sports from my own room(yankee fan staying with red sox fans in Boston, you understand ;) )
There are folks on this forum that work for Dish. They are refered to as the DIRT team. Dish Internet Response Team. The sole purpose is to help folks cut through the BS and get answers that are honest. They cant solve every problem just most and they don't always give the answer you want but they will definitely tell you the truth and do their best to resolve issues.
They are listed in red at either the top or bottom of the page. I'm using mobile right now, so i can't tell you which it is. Contact one of them you will get answers.

Good luck

Roas

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROID RAZR Maxx using SatelliteGuys

Thanks Tampa, I understand the kneejerk response, it's cool. Dish told me that the only option I had was HD, I am really not picky about that, it really does just boil down to not wanting to have to go out to the bar everytime I want to watch a game.
I'll look back at dish website for model info, thanks
Lol, fair enough. I have added a room in the past, with no issue, no contract extension. I know others have added a receiver to an existing account with no contract extension. So I'm wondering if more needs to be done than just add a receiver, does he have SD only and you want to upgrade to HD? As mentioned a DIRT member here can give the best official Dish answer.

Have you been to the Dish website, they describe their receivers.

PTAT question

Does dish know if I have a tailgator??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)