Can AT9 be mounted on a steel pipe?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Eric Goempel said:
OK he told me his ideas and I said "NO" It is going on the mast were the other 4 dishes have been.

You would not have got a dish installed that day by me. I really hate it when the customer trys to tell me how to do my job. Don't get me wrong some have no idea what is going on. I am easy to get along with but to me if the customer has special request "does not want to pay" and wants to be a prick then they can do the install themself.

Last edited:
and I have to guarantee the dish for one year. you can watch my posts all you want. been doing this 6 years.

when i put a system in 99.5% are satisfied and never see me again.

you wouldnt tell the electrician or the plumber how you want it, why tell me?

Eric Goempel said:
Dragon

Not tring to be..... but it sounds like we are both glad you wrent the one out. Believe it or not customers have rights. And if you walk off a job when you are prestented with a perfectly accptible option. Then you wont have that job every long.

Sorry, been watching your posts for awhile and I thought you were more open to ideas than that. Customers have the final say in what and were you do your work. you are in a secvice industry. your job is customer service, not forcing people into letting you damage their houses.

i have the final say, period. and i bet you and i are BOTH glad.

good luck to you

dragon002 said:
i have the final say, period. and i bet you and i are BOTH glad.

good luck to you

I said I watched your posts as a complement. I was in the business for 8 years as well, now I am disabled.

No matter what you say the customer has the final say.

Why pay you $60 bucks to put a pipe in next to my mast when mine is 10 feet in the ground and set in cement and bolted to the rafter above? I supplied the hardware to mount the dish to the mast.

My point is, this is a customer service industry and a customer service world. And yes I will tell a plumber or electrician not to run a pipe through my roof to get from the basement to the 1st floor.

http://www.vipers-pit.net/antmast.htm
http://www.vipers-pit.net/at9.htm

I installed my AT9 on a 1.5 inch "black" pipe from Home Depot.....about $20.00 for 10 ft....I only used 7 ft...3 ft below and 4 ft above gnd.. The Outside Diam was about 1.75 inches. I used 5 inches of my 3LNB pole as a shim....split it on one side with a sabre saw, slipped that over the black pipe and then installed the dish. ... I put a bolt thru the base of the pole about 6 inches up from the bottom, so the pipe wouldn't turnin the hole. Added 80# of semi wet concrete....pounded it in and was set. Yes, it is plumb :)

I used the 1.5 inch pipe because I couldn't find a 2 inch outer diam pipe anywhere.........

Bill

Last edited:
Eric Goempel said:
I said I watched your posts as a complement. I was in the business for 8 years as well, now I am disabled.

No matter what you say the customer has the final say.

Why pay you $60 bucks to put a pipe in next to my mast when mine is 10 feet in the ground and set in cement and bolted to the rafter above? I supplied the hardware to mount the dish to the mast.

My point is, this is a customer service industry and a customer service world. And yes I will tell a plumber or electrician not to run a pipe through my roof to get from the basement to the 1st floor.

You are disabled but you ran you own wire and did wallfishes?

The customer is not always right. Welcome to the world.

I have spinal stenosis, I am not in a wheel chair a wall fish takes 15 min each with glow rods. Having the right tools is the key. The rest is easy.

Ok now my question is I am a new customer and I have a "Free" install but it sounds like these guys are going to charge me 75 bucks to mount the dish to a pole in my yard......

Am I correct to assume this??

nickg420 said:
Ok now my question is I am a new customer and I have a "Free" install but it sounds like these guys are going to charge me 75 bucks to mount the dish to a pole in my yard......

Yes. The free install is only standard. Poles, wall fishes, ground burial etc is all extra. :)

nickg420 said:

nick, why do you assume that it has to be on a pole??

if you mean that is where YOU want it, yes you will pay. hell these guys are cheap, my contract says i can charge $100.00 for a pole mount, and i DO.

dishes go on houses. clothes lines and birdhouses go on poles....LOL;)

So what does satndard mean ??....A leaky roof or torn up vinyl siding?? Is it safe for them to mount it on the roof or on the side of my house??

You guys have me worried now!!:)

nickg420 said:
So what does satndard mean ??....A leaky roof or torn up vinyl siding?? Is it safe for them to mount it on the roof or on the side of my house??

You guys have me worried now!!:)

Sorry but yes, you will be looking at a leaky roof or Vinyl siding that looks like a train hit the side of your house. With the AT9 there should be 3 mounting points the base with 4 lag bolts and 2 support arms with 2 bolts each. these have to be tight. So your siding will be smashed in these 3 places. Then once the heat and cold hits the siding.. BAM! The siding was installed "loose" for a reason, it HAS to move.

NEVER let anyone put a AT9 on your house! Not even on brick. ask the installer if he will personally garentee no leaks for 10-15 years. Get it in writting!

Either go out and buy the stuff and put the pole in yourself and save some money, or pay the installer to do it if you are not sure you can do it.

OK Now I'm confused some of you guys swear by poles and a few of you say just let the installer do thier job and I'll be fine

My install is tomorrow so a pole is pretty much out of the question as I don't have the time so I guess I'll have to take my chances

I'm just a subscriber, I don't install, but there is no way I'll let anyone poke holes in my roof. I don't care how much sealant is put in, around, on top of, or whatever. It is a serious leak potential. No Thanks!

My dish is on a pole.

dragon002 said:
you wouldnt tell the electrician or the plumber how you want it, why tell me?

Why wouldn't wouldn't I tell an electrician or a plumber how I want it? I've done that plenty of times. I've also had them sometimes tell me why it shouldn't be done that way. That's fine, I can take suggestions. I would expect someone doing work on my house to do be able to take suggestions as well. It all comes down to the home owner and the contractor (electrician, plumber, satellite installer, etc.) to come to an agreement before work is begun. If that can't happen, then no work should be done.

Personally, I'm already planning ideas for how to mount an AT9 on my house. I get my locals OTA but I know eventually I'm going to need one. I don't want to leave it to the installer. I'll let them mount and aim the dish, but I'm choosing the location and mounting details.

-JustBob

JustBob said:
Why wouldn't wouldn't I tell an electrician or a plumber how I want it? I've done that plenty of times. I've also had them sometimes tell me why it shouldn't be done that way. That's fine, I can take suggestions. I would expect someone doing work on my house to do be able to take suggestions as well. It all comes down to the home owner and the contractor (electrician, plumber, satellite installer, etc.) to come to an agreement before work is begun. If that can't happen, then no work should be done.

Personally, I'm already planning ideas for how to mount an AT9 on my house. I get my locals OTA but I know eventually I'm going to need one. I don't want to leave it to the installer. I'll let them mount and aim the dish, but I'm choosing the location and mounting details.

-JustBob

just bob,

i was in a hurry when i posted, had two singles and a triple to install today.

better example, the power company comes to your new home and is going to run aerial wires to the mast and meter socket. you say , no way, i want underground.....guess what , you pay $$$$ same scenerio with the phone and cablecos, you want it non-standard you pay $$$

so why are we any different?

nickg420 said:
OK Now I'm confused some of you guys swear by poles and a few of you say just let the installer do thier job and I'll be fine

My install is tomorrow so a pole is pretty much out of the question as I don't have the time so I guess I'll have to take my chances

i put 90% of mine on the fascia boards where the eaves square off at the corner of the roof. lots of wood at the corner of the eaves. and with the at9 all you need is one stabalizer arm at that point.

some points, ask the tech how long hes been doing directv, if it is more than 3 years, dont sweat it, hes a pro. and he sure as hell doesnt want to do a service call for free, or to be backcharged.

sheridan said:
I'm just a subscriber, I don't install, but there is no way I'll let anyone poke holes in my roof. I don't care how much sealant is put in, around, on top of, or whatever. It is a serious leak potential. No Thanks!

My dish is on a pole.

If you do a roof mount right you can prevent it from leaking. Put sealant around you screws as you drill them into the rafters then put it on top and it will be fine. There are many things on your roof that has to be there like vents or even you weather head that can be considered a so called leak potential. And I know they have flanges around them but at the bottom of the flange there are nails to hold them down that are sealed around with sealant. The same concept as a lag bolt holding a dish down.

I am aware of the vents and such already through my roof, thank you. I have no desire to add any more penetrations, no matter how well sealed. If other people have no problem with roof mounts, that is their business. I won't have one, and since it is MY house, it will be as I want.

And this whole discussion, with the forceful opinions expressed by installers who obviously feel that their way is the ONLY way serves to justify why I will NEVER have any of my dishes installed by anyone else but me. I have installed my own as well as helped others and every one of them is working just fine with high signal strength.

Again, these are MY opinions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hughes GAEBO & International Dish

upgrade responsibility

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)