Camera: dji Osmo Action 5 Pro

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
I just upgraded to this latest camera. I had an Action 3 before and a GoPro 10 Black. Both had overheating problems but the GoPro 10 was worse. I mostly shoot long form at high resolution so overheating was a real problem.

While the GoPro had excellent image quality in low light, it would shut off in 10-15 minutes due to over heating. Also, once it got too hot the battery would expand and couldn't remove it until I put the camera in the freezer for 30 minutes.

The dji Action 3 had better image stabilization than the GoPro but it would also overheat in about 45 minutes and shut down. Plus it was pretty bad noisy video in low light.

I finally upgraded to the dji Action 5 Pro and what an improvement!!! The low light noise is gone and reports show it is better than the GoPro 13 Black. Image stabilization is better than the GoPro. Out of the box color quality is better on the Gopro 13 Black but using the Pro settings on the dji allows a LUT that can correct color quality instantly to match the GoPro quality. I tested the dji recording duration of 4K 30 fps with the new battery and it will record for 6 hours to a 256Gb SD card and 75 minutes to the camera's internal storage of 47GB. The GoPro doesn't offer internal storage. I plugged the dji into external power and have been recording for over 12 hours. In the past dji could not record with external power. It now records with no overheating until the storage card is full.
The new GoPro 13 Black can record at 5.3K which is higher resolution but this is rarely of value in a fixed POV camera. Higher resolutions are only important when shooting with a 360 VR type camera like my Insta 360 X4.
Both GoPro and dji cameras offer excellent audio and noise cancellation. The dji can connect to two wireless mics for stereo direct and not need a receiver plugged into the camera's USB port. The dji can also record audio to a separate wav file as a backup recording.
The dji has an optional GPS and remote controller that can overlay GPS data to your video. I can control more than one dji camera to record start and stop at the same time.
From power off the dji has quick start with one button that starts recording in less than a second. However since quick start is slower on my Action 3 by 2 seconds the two will be off in sync by a second or two and need to be adjusted in post.

The dji basic kit is $349
The GoPro 13 Black is $399.

Windows 10/11 Download

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)