Calculating 211k EHD Drive Space

Anony55

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
USA
My old 500gb EHD died and I need to replace it. Currently, I'm limping along on an old 80gb hard drive that I had in "the pile". My HTPC has 4 HDDs in it. One of them is only 1tb. I was considering buying a 2tb drive to replace it, then using it (1tb) for my 211k.

BUT, if the 211k would make use of all 2tb, I would go that route. I can do some testing on my own. But the problem is this... how can I tell how much storage the 211k sees?

The 211k reports drive space in hours/minutes for HD & SD. Is there a formula to convert these numbers to TB/GB/KB ?? The way it is now, I'm not sure I could tell how much of the drive it actually sees.

I haven't tried it, but I'm pretty sure connecting it to a PC would be of no help either. I figure the drive format is not a Windows compatible format.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

The "My Media" EHD menu (MENU-4-2-1) will say "xxx GB Available."

Pretty sure 211k doesn't support 2TB drives though, but heck, it's worth a shot. Just plug the new 2TB to the receiver, format it, and check in the EHD menu for available space.

Last edited:
The "My Media" EHD menu will say "xxx GB Available."...

I don't recall seeing the "My Media" option in the menus of my 211k. I could be wrong though (it's happened before :)). I'll check that when I get home. Thanks.

Cheers

Ah good. I see you were editing while I was responding. Menu 4-2-1... that'll be easy to remember. 4.2.1 is the version of GBPVR I'm running on the HTPC. :D

Thanks again.

Cheers

EDIT; Oops, I meant 4.2.1 is the version of DVB Viewer I'm running... not GBPVR, lol.

Yes, I've seen the 1tb limit listed as well. But I've also seen posts here at SatGuys where people claimed to get the 211k to see a full 1.5tb. And some hinted that 2tb might be possible.

Either way, I'll be buying a 2tb hard drive. The only question will be... will it go in the HTPC, or the external enclosure for the 211k.

Cheers

I don't recall seeing the "My Media" option in the menus of my 211k. I could be wrong though (it's happened before :)). I'll check that when I get home. Thanks.

Cheers

It doesn't. The 211 has "My Recordings" which takes you to the EHD and just shows the time remaining. I'm sitting next to my 211 right now.

It doesn't. The 211 has "My Recordings" which takes you to the EHD and just shows the time remaining. I'm sitting next to my 211 right now.

Yep, I checked that out last night. The screen shots on the Dish web page must be from a different model. Still, I'm grateful for the attempted help.

So, let's see if we can tackle this from another angle. Does anyone with a 211k & a 1tb EHD know or remember how much time remaining the 211k reports when the drive is empty?

If I had that information, it would be easy to tell how much of a 2tb drive that it can see.

Cheers

Yeah sorry about that, never used the 211's, and my 722k's have those menus, the article mentioned 211's so I thought maybe it was the same.

@ 3Halo; No problem. I appreciate you trying to help.

@ gjh3260; Now that you say that, it seems like I remember my 500gb drive having about 50 hours (HD) when empty, which would be in line with a 100hrs for 1tb. But like you... I "think", lol.

That's probably close enough to know how much of the 2tb the 211k sees when I try it.

Cheers

OK, I finally got the 2tb drive and the time to check this out.

When connecting the 2tb drive, the 211k just gives an error message indicating that it will only work with drives between 50gb & 1tb. It doesn't even attempt to format the drive to the max capacity that it can see.

I'm not sure what the guys that were making the 1.5tb claims were doing. But it sure doesn't work for me.

This isn't a problem for me. I'll just steal the 1tb from the HTPC for the 211k, and put the new 2tb in its place. But I just had to try the 2tb on the 211k first so that I could see for myself. Now I know, lol.

Cheers

Not getting Sat 129

What Music Channel Am I Hearing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)