Question about ViP 211 and 211k Support for Vacation Home

I haven’t tried the Events on the ViP 211 receiver in the family room to see if they are also “corrupted”. I don’t think they are as their dates are within the last two months.
Okay, the programs on the Family Room ViP 211 are viewable. I tried the oldest program on the EHD, The Who at Royal Albert Hall playing the entire “Tommy” playlist live. TOMMY – LIVE AT THE ROYAL ALBERT HALL - The Who

Point being, this event is over five years old (promos for the Big Interview with Dan Rather show on AXS were present) and played back perfectly.

I removed the EHD from the bedroom 211k and restarted it. After it rebooted, I reconnected the EHD and it is rebooting now. I will see what happens, hoping the recordings become playable again.

edit: No Joy, after rebooting it shows the same error:
IMG_1744.jpeg

The next step will be swapping the EHDs to see if the problem moves with the EHD or if it’s the receiver.

The next step will be swapping the EHDs to see if the problem moves with the EHD or if it’s the receiver.
Actually, I tried something easier. I recorded five minutes of the Olympics and it plays back just fine. I also saw that my Sister must like “Big Brother” as there were a number of episodes recorded last July that also play back. So it seems that old recordings are somehow unplayable.

I’m afraid that somehow the Dish Encryption changed, invalidating the old recordings. The only other thing would be the keys for the encryption were “lost” for our Vacation account and I was “lucky” that we could ever access them.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Any instance of 00-01-02-03-04-05-06-07 is a corrupted DVR file and cannot be recovered.

This typically happens when signal loss or power failure occurs during the recording of the event. If the event was previously playable, it could indicate issues with the EHD.

If the event was previously playable, it could indicate issues with the EHD.
Thank you for your response, brittanygarden. I wonder if the reason why I could play them before on our Vacation Home account was that somehow Dish had linked the two accounts together, so the fact that these were recorded using our Home account of aaaa-bbbb-cccc-dddd and the Vacation account of wwww-xxxx-yyyy-zzzz.

But now I have some more information. The Big Brother episodes that were recorded July 2024 play back. In the same “Big Brother” folder is an episode recorded in October of last year. It won’t play due to Error Code 05.

Is it possible for our account encryption key to change from last year, rendering any recordings unplayable from before we re-activated our account? I logged in and verified that the Account Number for the vacation home is the same as what we recorded when we first activated it in 2016. But then that doesn’t explain how the Who concert recorded from AXS pre-COVID plays back fine off of the Family Room EHD.

This EHD does function as an EHD, and I guess I need to accept that these recordings are lost. I had recorded the NOVA episodes OTA with the tale of IBM Watson and its appearance on “Jeopardy”, along with those three “Jeopardy” episodes. They may exist somewhere so I could revisit them in the future, but I guess they are gone and this EHD should be reformatted.

WAIT A MINUTE!!!

I have FIVE EHDs on my Hopper 3. I never have more than one turned on.

I have cycled thru each one tonight. It “sees” sorta each one as being attached. But will not bring up the listings of available programs.

ARE YOU SAYING THEY’RE GONE? There’s no hope because Dish made a software change that permanently borked them?

Is there ANYTHING I can do to recover and view or move to the internal DVR? Or is there any hope that Dish might undo this software error? I HOPE they see it as an error!

Yes, I know this is a 211 thread, but the EHD talk is here. I could start a new thread (or a mod can) if need be. But I need to know, reasonably soon.

brittanygarden , I’m counting on you for an honest answer.

😱😫🥲

WAIT A MINUTE!!!

I have FIVE EHDs on my Hopper 3. I never have more than one turned on.

I have cycled thru each one tonight. It “sees” sorta each one as being attached. But will not bring up the listings of available programs.

ARE YOU SAYING THEY’RE GONE? There’s no hope because Dish made a software change that permanently borked them?

Is there ANYTHING I can do to recover and view or move to the internal DVR? Or is there any hope that Dish might undo this software error? I HOPE they see it as an error!

Yes, I know this is a 211 thread, but the EHD talk is here. I could start a new thread (or a mod can) if need be. But I need to know, reasonably soon.

brittanygarden , I’m counting on you for an honest answer.

😱😫🥲
Remember that the 211 is a VIP receiver and not a true DVR. Totally different software from the 722s and Hoppers.

Yes. That is why sweat pumps are set to FAST-FAST. NUPOC folks will understand that.

I’m hoping there is a fix, but it seems to me that a related screwup may have gone between ViP211 units and the Hopper 3, like zoonotic moves between birds and humans.

Anyone else having any problems with H3 EHDs?

<AGONY>

But is the K “better?”
Both are great reliable receivers, but in my experience I would say the k is slightly more reliable. Both function the same though. My opinion for ok is keep using the old 211 and save the 211k for when you really need it. Never know when you won't be able to order them anymore except beat up or overpriced ones from ebay.

I should note that three of the EHDs are RAID arrays.

Where’s my crying towel?

I have two external hard drives on my family room Hopper 3 and both are working. One of them is configured as a RAID.
I also have one external drive on my Living Room Hopper 3 and it is also working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two external hard drives on my family room Hopper 3 and both are working. One of them is configured as a RAID.
I also have one external drive on my Living Room Hopper 3 and it is also working.

Did you test that today?

BTW I get no error messages.

As Bobby said, my question is on the ViP 211 family of receivers and software. Since I was able to view an older program on the disk on the Family Room ViP 211 it appears to be something about the EHD on the Bedroom EHD.

This EHD was created by using the Linux EHD copy method which may be outlined in this Forum or somewhere in the Archive. The programs were recorded while the ViP 211 was part of my Home account which was created in 1996. The ViP 211 was one of many Dish receivers located in our bedroom, and when I got upgraded to the Hopper 3 and 4K Joey in the bedroom, the ViP 722 (the one won from SatelliteGuys) and the ViP 211 became available for use in the Dish Pay-as-you-Go plan for our vacation home. But I recorded a lot of events on the EHD over the years it was on my account: F1 races, the before-mentioned IBM Watson events, a Jay Leno garage where he takes the body from a 1960s Oldsmobile Toronado and puts the drivetrain and suspension of a C6 Corvette underneath, several “Game of Thrones” episodes, and so on.

When I set up the Vacation PAYG account, I used the ViP 722 in the Family Room and the ViP 211 in the main bedroom. The Channel 2 output from the ViP 722 was mixed into the cabin antenna cable plant so it was available in the other two bedrooms. I was surprised that the EHD on the ViP 211 didn’t need to be reformatted, and that the program content was able to be viewed, even though it was a different account. That’s been the status quo, until I checked this year and posted these messages.

navychop, are you saying your unused EHDs all appear to be empty? I would be curious what connecting the “empty” EHD to a Linux system would show. Are the partitions truly empty, or are the program files there but unaccessable due to something missing? I have two EHDs to be used on my Hopper 3, but I leave only one powered up and connected at this time. I will have to check later to see if it is okay.

Does not show a list, empty or otherwise.
Does it show the available HD and SD times? I am curious if the Hopper is ignoring what is stored on the EHD or if it knows what has been recorded, but renders it “invisible” for some reason.

Nothing.

I get 2 items listed under DVR. One being the H3. The other, an EHD. But selecting the EHD gets nothing but a loop back to where it says 2 items. Maybe tomorrow I can show a snap.

Another RBR in progress.

[quote uid=23587 name="dweber" post=4918667]

[/QUOTE]

Did you test that today?

BTW I get no error messages.

Yes, I just tested all 3 external hard drives and the recorded programs play.

Holy crap. I'm reading the exchange above and looking at the 15 or so bare drives sitting on a shelf in my entertainment cabinet. Several of those have not been plugged in for several years, from back in the day when I had a ViP622 and the feature was first introduced. I guess I need to check them.

Dish Scapes on 199 is interesting

Questions from a friend