Status
Not open for further replies.

gpflepsen

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
SE NE
Beam me up Scotty… hello Scotty… I said beam me up Scotty. I’m waiting… Scotty, you there??? Scotty, I said beam me up!!! Bones, check on Scotty.

Actor James Doohan, 85, died today. RIP

He was probably my favorite actor in the original Star Trek series and movies.

"he didn't have that bad of a scottish accent for a guy born and raised in Canada."

He did well but Scottish people can tell RIGHT away that he was not Scottish.

I knew he was Canadian, my wife has met him at a Star Trek conventions a few times, maybe now everyone will stop saying "Beam me up" when ever they hear me talk.............. maybe not : )

RIP!

Seen written on the stalls of a men's bathroom:

Scott me up, Beamy!

R.I.P. Scotty.

I always preferred "Scotty! Jim Beam me!" :smug

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. D (he tells everyone to call him "Jimmy") at two conventions and can say that I have never met a more genuine, warm and charming person (actor anyway).

He treated everyone in a very loving and grandfatherly way.

...just don't ask him what he thinks of Shatner! :D Shatner and Nimmoy (blah!) Trek wouldn't have been the same without Jimmy's protrayal of Montgomery Scott!

He was able to keep everyone entertained with his storys and various voices.

My favorite quote was from ST: III, something to the effect of "the more they overtake the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain"

I'd like to convey this humble fan's deepest sympathy to Jimmy's family and wish Mr. Doohan (wherever he may be) eternal serenity.

Scott Greczkowski said:
he didn't have that bad of a scottish accent for a guy born and raised in Canada. :D

Kinda like the guy on Stargate Atlantis.. Dr Beckett.. born and raised in Toronto, if I remember correctly.

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Private Rocket Launches Ashes of Star Trek's Scotty, Astronaut to Suborbital Space [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]By Leonard David[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Special Correspondent, SPACE.com[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]posted: 29 April 2007[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]7:00 am ET[/FONT]

LAS CRUCES, New Mexico - A privately-built rocket blasted off from New Mexico's Spaceport America Saturday, roaring skyward to the edge of space carrying a variety of payloads - including the ashes of Star Trek's "Scotty" James Doohan and NASA Mercury astronaut Gordon Cooper.

A SpaceLoft XL rocket shot upwards on a suborbital trajectory, launched by UP Aerospace, a Connecticut-based company. The mission - labeled SL-2 - was loaded with an array of educational investigations, as well as commercial and entrepreneurial payloads.

For example, 800 students from teams around the country and the world, including Alaska, Puerto Rico, and the Netherlands, developed and designed 44 scientific experiments for the SL-2 mission.

Another SL-2 payload was designed by the University of Colorado at Boulder, in tandem with NASA Space Grant. Flown as a proof-of-concept, the "RocketSat" payload consisted of several experiments including a GPS receiver and a video camera.

Also onboard was Astrata/RocketFoto, initiated as a start-up enterprise that sends personal photos on round-trip space missions for its customers.
The SpaceLoft XL mission also marked the first Legacy Flight - a new service provided by Celestis Incorporated of Houston, Texas. That firm launches the cremated remains of individuals into space.

Flagship vehicle

SpaceLoft XL is a 20-foot (6 meters) tall, single-stage solid-fuel rocket.

As the flagship vehicle for UP Aerospace, the SpaceLoft XL can be packed with up to 110 pounds (50 kilograms) of payloads. The rocket is built to reach an altitude capability of up to 140 miles (225 kilometers).

UP Aerospace is gearing up for future launches from Spaceport America, a site dubbed as the world's first "purpose-built" - or built from scratch --commercial spaceport.

Spaceport America is being erected 30 miles east of Truth or Consequences and 45 miles north of Las Cruces. In a few years, the intention is that Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic spaceline will be whisking paying customers on suborbital trajectories from the site - one of many groups expected to utilize the desert facility.

This was the second rocket liftoff for UP Aerospace from Spaceport America.

Last September, the firm's SpaceLoft XL encountered problems shortly after blastoff, corkscrewing in the air at high altitude, then came crashing down onto terra firma after 90 seconds of flight.

An intensive study of the mishap revealed issues with the rocket's fin section. An aerodynamic stability margin in the rocket was found to be too low, coupled with the vehicle incorrectly designed not to spin fast enough on its ascent.

Corrections were made for today's return to flight of the SpaceLoft XL.

Earth Rise Service

Onboard today's mission were the ashes of Star Trek's "Scotty" James Doohan and NASA Mercury astronaut Gordon Cooper - joining the cremated remains of more than 200 other people from all walks of life.

A pre-launch Celestis Earth Rise Service was held April 27 at the New Mexico Museum of Space History in neighboring Alamogordo<. >

Charles Chafer, chief executive officer of Space Services Inc. that operates Celestis spoke of the "precious payload" carried by the SpaceLoft XL, including over 12,000 digitized messages and tributes to Doohan and Cooper from all over the world. "They will fly along with them in spirit and in reality," he said.

Wende Doohan, the wife of the Star Trek actor, spoke of her late husband: "It's not how you die, or when, but rather how you lived." In his role, Scotty was "engineer extraordinaire", she continued, completing his five year mission in three years and that "he's in good company on this flight."

Suzan Cooper, the wife of the late Gordon Cooper explained: "Supposedly, we are all made of stardust. So then it is only natural to one day return to the stars once our lives have ended on this Earth."

"We are all here to celebrate the lives of friends and loved ones...and to embrace an incredible new technology which allows anyone to leave the boundaries of Earth and actually travel into space," Cooper said.

Incoming director of Spaceport America, Rick Homans, also took part in the Celestis memorial service. "This Legacy launch is clearly filled with all kinds of emotion...memory...and an all encompassing sense of adventure," he said.

Source: Space.com

But their launch vehicle is an over-grown Estes model rocket. Sub-orbital? "Scotty" deserves better than that...

Scotty's remains go to space, get lost
http://www.tv.com/star-trek/show/633/summary.html
"Any of you guys seen Scotty around?"

Attention Star Trek memorabilia collectors: Get your pale butts out to the deserts of New Mexico. It appears that the remains of James Doohan, the actor who played Scotty on Star Trek, may be lost some where in the Southwest.
Doohan's ashes were shot into space in late April by Space Services Inc. along with the remains of other departed, including astronaut Gordon Cooper. The rocket carrying the ashes was supposed to orbit the Earth then return. However, the spacecraft has gone missing and is somewhere in the rugged terrain of New Mexico.
"They know the general location, and we have the utmost confidence that they will recover it," a Space Services rep told Reuters.
From TV.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

cellphones that got wet

wireless keyboard and mouse range

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)