Are you planning to upgrade to the iPhone 16

I find more and more, especially with government related sites, a cell phone is a necessity. That six character code to verify an account, etc. An email option is not always available. And sometimes older iOS devices aren’t supported.

NBD. I have been assimilated.

Reactions: N6BY and osu1991
I find more and more, especially with government related sites, a cell phone is a necessity. That six character code to verify an account, etc. An email option is not always available. And sometimes older iOS devices aren’t supported.

I have found that applies to most financial institution online interaction. iOS has gotten pretty good about recognizing the code and filling it in for you. Since switching from Chrome to Safari on my Mac, Safari does it as well.

I am seeing the same.

Many people (especially the younger ones) simply assume that all phones are cell phones. When businesses or other entities ask for my phone number, I try to find out if they plan on texting me or doing a voice call. I have a landline and I am often afraid to give out its number because they might want to send a text message.

Why oh why does it not give the sender an error message when texting a land line phone?

We used Okta as an Authentication App so I already had that loaded, but I also have Microsoft Authentication as well as Google Authentication Apps loaded and available. If this is available, you can load these on a tablet instead of requiring a phone and sending SMS texts.

Are you planning to upgrade to the iPhone 16?

No.

I am more in need for a new iPad.

My reasons are that I do not personally need or want a new iPhone. I also am not excited to pay Apple prices on any device … given they are expensive.

I am guessing I will probably wait, perhaps, two years.

Reactions: TheForce
That six character code to verify an account, etc.
Many modern password manager applications can recognize, generate and paste in TOTP* codes with a mouse click. I use the free and open-source KeePassXC. KeePassXC can also do Passkeys.

Getting set up with login.gov, ID.me and similar can be a pain, but there are ways to do it without giving up your wireless phone number.

* Time-based One-Time Password

Reactions: Foxbat
I'll tell you one thing that caught me by surprise: the sheer number of posts here where all the people who make the videos decided theirs should be about Apple products this week.
I actually would have kept my Iphone 11 PM but what sold me last year was the camera now being able to shoot 3D spatial video. It works really well and the quality is actually better than my 3D camera rigs except the my insta 360 EVO in 3D VR mode. Most people do not have a way to view 3D or VR but I do and I can now shoot 3D with the iphone quickly and then wirelessly transfer the video to my Meta Quest 3 and in a few minutes be watching it in 3D.

One warning for anyone who is planning to get a new iphone 16 to shoot high quality video is that you should get the extra storage option. I have quite a few video clips on mine and lots of apps and that nearly filled the base version of 256GB. That leaves me another 256GB for storing those large 3D spatial videos. The 512GB is well worth it for those wanting to shoot video, especially long form like 30 minutes.

I shot two one hour shows in 3D on a cruise ship and had plenty of storage and battery and never missed a frame. Now the downside is Apple limits the transfer of these long 3D videos to my Meta Quest3 to about 15 minutes when loaded with Spatial 3D meta data. I checked with Apple during my demo of the Apple Vision Pro and we had the same problem transferring my 12 minute clip to the AVP. I was successful in transferring a 6 minute clip and it showed up with very high quality in 4K 3D.

There are many reasons why someone would want the new iphone but over the 15PM there is not much except the larger size, the faster processor for real time AI and the camera action button which is nice for doing zooms while shooting. BTW 3D Spatial Video does not allow zooming or changing any photographic parameters. Focal length, exposure f-stop etc is locked.

Here is a little accessory I use when planning to shoot with my iphone. It works really well.

One warning for anyone who is planning to get a new iphone 16 to shoot high quality video is that you should get the extra storage option. I have quite a few video clips on mine and lots of apps and that nearly filled the base version of 256GB.
I have a nagging memory that you can use external storage with the iPhone for shooting video. I think it was required to use external storage if you wanted RAW format for the highest frame rates.

Reactions: Foxbat
I have a nagging memory that you can use external storage with the iPhone for shooting video. I think it was required to use external storage if you wanted RAW format for the highest frame rates.
That's what some have said. Haven't tested it. Mostly for professional jobs. Since I retired from that business, I just shoot default and don't spend the time adjusting mood and color design anymore. There are people who specialize in that in the business and I am not one of them so I try to avoid it. I've done it when working with a director but personally, that process is very time consuming. If you don't know what you are doing you can really screw up your video. Two things I always use when working with color grading is use the scopes and always work with a copy, never your camera originals.
Besides, my main interest is 3D Spatial video and that is limited to HD 30fps default. In post I have upconverted the resolution to 4K30 as the AVP and MetaQuest3 permits that Hardly see the difference in those devices especially the MQ3 which is not as high a quality as the AVP.

Besides, my main interest is 3D Spatial video and that is limited to HD 30fps default. In post I have upconverted the resolution to 4K30 as the AVP and MetaQuest3 permits that Hardly see the difference in those devices especially the MQ3 which is not as high a quality as the AVP.
Is there a path to converting the Spatial videos to SBS or OU video in a MKV container, or some other format that would be viewable on my LG 3D TVs?

Is there a path to converting the Spatial videos to SBS or OU video in a MKV container, or some other format that would be viewable on my LG 3D TVs?
Yes! You shoot your Spatial video in the iphone as normal. Then download an app Spatialify. Access your spatial video in the app and then you convert it to SBS with the settings like "Cardboard" and save that conversion to. Now you have a 3D SBS video you can transfer to something that will play your 3D SBS to your 3D TV. You'll need to experiment with the right settings for your system but the app is quite good and is excellent quality.

I actually save an SBS version of my favorite Spatial videos in SBS to view on YT and on 3D TV.

Reminder- your 3D TV must be set for 1080P 30 or it won't play. My HT projector is a 3D capable 4K 60 HDR so I have to always go into the settings and change it to 1080P 30 to view those YouTube 3D SBS videos. Spatialify also has other settings you can play around with for different TV's and screens.

Here is one I converted from the iphone with Spatialify using "Cardboard" setting

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFXYlngkfTg

I see you use the same accounting system my ex-wife used.
never understood that accounting system lol!!! i have always bought unlocked phones since they hold there value better than a carrier bought phone. then i sell em off and make my money back sometimes more depending on who's buying it and what country.

Will you buy an Apple Watch?

iOS 18, what did you think?