722 (vs 722k or Hopper) Best Choice for My Application?

pgtr

Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
n.a.
I have a 522 (SD DVR) which Is in the main TV viewing rm (living rm) for TV1 using S-Video and TV-2 RF out is distributed to other TVs thru house (ch 63 and RF remotes) using dual mode. I waited for the hopper to come out and after looking it over along with various sample wiring layouts, etc. and re-reviewing the 722 vs 722k I'm looking to go with the 722. But I would appreciate a sanity check on that decision. So here's my application:

Living Rm is/will be TV1 with an HDTV.

Rest of house: (TV2)
Smaller HDTV in master mostly for watching local news (simply pull off the air) or occasional late night show, old CRT in spare bedroom (almost never used), SDTV in office (mostly for occasional 'listening' to TV show...) and old CRT in shop (again mostly for occasional 'listening').

Users: There are only 2 of us and we mostly use the main TV (80%?) with maybe 10% usage of the master bed TV (already HD for local). We watch internet streaming sources (Roku) and BD discs almost as much as anything.

Analysis:
Hopper: I was hoping the Hopper would offer a simple efficient distribution technology for especially for HD that I could use for the master bedroom (HD) and other rooms (SD which my current 522 handles nicely). While hopper accomplishes this, only 1 of the 4 additional (TV2) TVs would benefit from it while having to up my monthly fees for ALL TVs/rooms along Joeys and some additional re-wiring work and a somewhat more complicated install overall. The commercial free technology is interesting but we watch little broadcast network TV anyway. The additional recording capabilities don't seem that necessary for our needs either (522 is fine in that regard for our needs). Had the hopper also provided say a 2nd TV2 RFOut or other simplified / no cost SD distribution option I probably would have considered it further.

722K: seems to mostly come down to 2 OTA tuners and internet streaming (we use netflix, not blockbuster) over the 722. Since I already have OTA TV in HD in the master - the 2nd OTA tuner didn't do much for me since that would be in SD in the master bedroom - a downgrade.

722: So I finally settled on the plain old 722 which was my original choice back before I decided to wait until the Hopper came out.

QUESTION #1:
Anything I should reconsider or would you agree the 722 will be fine for my limited needs?

QUESTION #2:
Does the 722 'integrate' the OTA signals into the favorites/guide and can fully 'record' OTA shows just like any satellite channel? Does it display OTA on TV1 in HD?

QUESTION #3:
Can the RF remotes I added to the 522 also work with the 722?

Thanks

1: 722 will be fine. Realize you probably won't have a choice between a 722 or 722K. Make sure they include the OTA module with the K. Only need to reconsider if you routinely have timer conflicts and need the extra tuner in the Hopper. You could put a Joey in the bedroom with an rf modulator and feed the rest of the house from there. That would still be $11 more monthly though.

2: Yes, yes and yes.

3: Probably, may depend on the model. Don't buy any until you've tested.

Any DIRT members around today?

118.7 West dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts