7/11/11 New FF update

AZ.

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Mar 26, 2011
crazy
Anyone else get the new update for Fire Fox from dish? I installed it on FF4, now cant conect to DOL, or DRA.....No time to mess with now....I had tryed FF5 before but couldnt connect so I went back to a working FF4...

Windows 7 64 bit....Getting error message (2) on DRA.....Getting error 36 (2) on DOL.

Last edited:
Firefox 5 has been out for a while now in beta and there isn't yet a version of the Sling client that works with it.

The new Mozilla releases use the Gecko 5 engine so it may be a while.

Firefox 5 has been out for a while now in beta and there isn't yet a version of the Sling client that works with it.

:confused:

I have a Sling Plug-in dtd June 9th - DRA Dish OnLine work fine on my FF5.0 on a Windows 7 64bit laptop...

I have a Sling Plug-in dtd June 9th - DRA Dish OnLine work fine on my FF5.0 on a Windows 7 64bit laptop...
It has indeed been updated. When I initially installed FireFox 5, the add-in manager removed the plug-in but now that the 1.5 versions are out, it is working again.

harshness said:

Firefox 5 has been out of beta for a while. It was released on June 21st.

Sent from my iPad 2 using the SatelliteGuys App

Ok upgraded to FF5...Had to add the dish plug in....same errors on DOL, and DRA ! now since EI has never worked and noe FF dosent Im sol on any remote viewing!!!... Thanks Dish!!!!

1700 miles from home and now nothing.

1700 miles from home and now nothing.
Distance maketh the dish more fonder ... O:) seriously though.. have you had someone try rebooting the receiver (power reboot not front panel reset) and then give it 5 to 10 mins for refreshes ....

Also log into dishonline .. then immediately log out using the logout link near the top (*not* the x) then do the same at Dish Remote Access .. only have ONE browser window open when doing this.. so that there's no cached credential possibility.. after logging out on DRA give it a minute then log back in .. and hit "refresh" on the DRA page (*not* the browser's refresh button)

When Dish Online came out of "beta" about a week or two later they screwed up some other stuff.. *but* it seemed that they made inroads with the back end servers giving up the cached data they had for users's accounts.

Though this past week, it seems the problem came back to bite them in a royally bad way .. bad enough that there was actually a post from Matt G saying it was a known issue, and those that responded publically ended up getting their accounts cleared or what ever, and moved from one backend server to another (dish-XX-.sling.com)

Anyway.. give it a shot .. closing all browsers, login on one service, immediately log out ... same on the other service.. then log in again and hit refresh a couple times.. see if it fixes itself. If not.. PM MattG with Username/dishXX server you get connected to for DishRemoteAccess, and see what happens

Also note, that as of 4:30a 2011/07/09 - most current version of the plugin for

• windows / IE 1.5.2.126
  • Mac 3.3.7.179,
  • Firefox 64 3.3.5.162 (not sure which os)
  • and Safari32 3.1.6.134

Last edited:
Just tried Dish Online and It is now working with FF 5.0. Tried a couple times the past week and it kept saying that the plugin wasn't compatible with FF5.0, but all seems well now:)

Distance maketh the dish more fonder ... O:) seriously though.. have you had someone try rebooting the receiver (power reboot not front panel reset) and then give it 5 to 10 mins for refreshes ....

Also log into dishonline .. then immediately log out using the logout link near the top (*not* the x) then do the same at Dish Remote Access .. only have ONE browser window open when doing this.. so that there's no cached credential possibility.. after logging out on DRA give it a minute then log back in .. and hit "refresh" on the DRA page (*not* the browser's refresh button)

When Dish Online came out of "beta" about a week or two later they screwed up some other stuff.. *but* it seemed that they made inroads with the back end servers giving up the cached data they had for users's accounts.

Though this past week, it seems the problem came back to bite them in a royally bad way .. bad enough that there was actually a post from Matt G saying it was a known issue, and those that responded publically ended up getting their accounts cleared or what ever, and moved from one backend server to another (dish-XX-.sling.com)

Anyway.. give it a shot .. closing all browsers, login on one service, immediately log out ... same on the other service.. then log in again and hit refresh a couple times.. see if it fixes itself. If not.. PM MattG with Username/dishXX server you get connected to for DishRemoteAccess, and see what happens

Also note, that as of 4:30a 2011/07/09 - most current version of the plugin for

• windows / IE 1.5.2.126
  • Mac 3.3.7.179,
  • Firefox 64 3.3.5.162 (not sure which os)
  • and Safari32 3.1.6.134

Yep, took a few days to get someone to reset it....Now its ok, thank god....Funny that rebooting from your computer does nothing?(shouldnt they consider that?)....I was able to set recorder, but not view on computer or phone...

well the reboot from computer I put to be the same type of reboot from the front panel and the over night / daily reboot the receiver does ... something does something that requires loss of all electricity to the box.. before said box starts working again.. :( again not a good computer product if it requires physical loss of power to "refresh" what should be memory dependent.

Of course for two to three hundred bucks you can pick up an IP or Serial Power strip ... and remotely toggle the power to anything plugged into it.. :)

ooooh ... just looked for current prices ...there's one for 189, a 4 port unit... http://www.remotepowerswitch.com/web-remotepowercontrol.html
and a 99 dollar 3 port? http://3gstore.com/product/2062_ip_power_remote_switch.html
:D Theres a reboot solution :D

Not here I just tried it and it still says it isn't compatible.
Might need to make some clarifications ...

First.. Dish Remote Access currently uses 1 plugin, WebSlingPlayer ... its made for IE, FF, Mac.

Dish Online has *two* modes of operation and therefore 2 plugins. The first plugin is the standard WebSlingPlayer.. this is used for Sling enabled services (Sling Adapter, sling loaded 922) to watch DVR or Live TV remotely. The *other* side of DishOnline requires a plugin from Widevine Media. This second plugin is used for DRM management and allows you access to HBO, Max, Starz, and ..that other provider Sho? .. anyway.. the Widevine Media plug in I've not found a work-around for, and it took Dish 2 months to get a working one for FireFox 4!

I'd strongly recommend any time you can't play an item at DishOnline (because of Widevine) .. you do the Feedback (bottom of any page) to indicate you have FF5 and need the widevine media player to work with FF5 ... also to identify that DishOnline needs to keep on top of getting the plugin rolled out ... because without it, Firefox users are continually in a world of hurt. It was only 2 weeks after the plugin for widevine finally made it into FF4, and FF5 came out.

As for the "clarification" if DishOnline isn't working for you ... is it because you need the Widevine plugin? or are you on an older WebSlingPlayer? if old websling there's links to get new ones. (Like I said above haven't found a way to pull a newer widevine plugin).

It's the widevine plug in that isn't there. I don't have a sling.
Well the bad news... couldn't find an update.

The good news, of sorts, is that there's two ways around this ... 1 is to re-enable the ability to run any and all insecure / outdated, plugins, thus having to manually disable those that are really incompatible.

Mozilla Firefox: How To Disable Add on Compatibility Checking « Life in a Nutshell

which does work, but again it enables all plugins that may or may not be compatible (they were disabled by firefox for cause ... right?;))

The other way ... Edit the XPI file to remove the signatures, edit the max version and install the modified XPI.

Step by step...

1. go back to dishonline ..
  2. go to protected content ...
  3. when the install plugin screen comes up ... select the option to manually install .. it will give you links (right click FF, save link as)
  4. rename the file to add .zip as the extension
  5. open the file, delete the META-INF folder (and all files in that folder)
  6. extract install.rdf
    • edit this file with a text editor
    • change "maxVersion" from 4.* to 5.*
    • save the file, put it back into the zip
  7. close the zip file
  8. rename it back (take the .zip off the end)
  9. open the firefox add-on's page
  10. click the configure cog,
  11. Select "Install add-on from file"
  12. select your modified XPI .. and install like normal
The 12 step program worked for me on Vista 32 / FF5

Not a great solution.. but it works.. Also can't say for sure that it will upgrade that way either.

keep in mind.. it took them 2 months after FF4 came out for them to have the plugin to support FF4. It was 2 weeks later that FF5 came out, and Mozilla has moved in to a "Rapid Release" cycle.

http://blog.mozilla.com/addons/2011/04/19/add-on-compatibility-rapid-releases/

The user community is harmed by some of this, in that things like Widevine to Dish to User is already at a snails pace ... and if the real issue isn't a compatibility one, but like in the case of the one file inside the archive, that seems to have a problem, being only the installer file, with a "max version" string causing the issue .. then we've a long wait for them to fix it.

When a new and real update becomes available, it would be interesting to know if the plugin actually has a version change for the Widevine DLL (4.5.0.3485) or was it just them changing the max version string (or removing it) and then re-certifying the files (hashes, and digital signature which are removed by taking away the META-INF folder and its files).

Lets see which happens and how soon ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)