622 HD OTA Suggestions

WiCkeDuDe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
Utah
I have been a E* customer for years and have decided to get a 622 though im still not sold on them with all the bugs. As a former DNS tech I know most issues with the 622s but not much on OTA. We never installed OTA antennas here even though we were trained to. I have a Dish 1000 and live in the salt lake city, ut area. I live about 20 miles from the towers I need to pick up my HD locals.

Can anyone recommend a good OTA antenna for me to use. I was looking at something like a clip on antenna like the 3901

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/RCA/RCA-ANT3901-DBS-Clip-on-Antenna.htm

Have a few questions - Do these work well - I have a clean line of sight from the dish. Will these work with DPP ok with the high freqencies? Looks like the antenna connection box is just a internal diplexor, I wonder if the connections are high freqency :eek: . If this is a bad way to go what other antennas would you recommend. I would rather not have something too big or expensive. I would just pay for sat locals but I dont want HD lite if I dont have to.

Last edited:
Those clip-on antennas have a very poor reputation with most people. There's only one good thing about them to most people and that's that they're "convenient".

Something like this one, http://www.antennasdirect.com/DB2_Indoor_antenna.html, is very popular and more importantly, considered very good at picking up stations. It is UHF only, which may or may not be a problem for you.

Not knowing your location, goto www.antennaweb.org and put in your zip code. See what the suggested antenna is. You don't want something big, but my Winegard HD9095P works great at 18 miles out.

Hall -
I really like that DB2, please its only a few dollars more than the clip on antenna. Does it seem to work that well in attics? After checking antenna web there are a few channels - 2,4,5, 13 that are vhf but they are also transmitted in digital on uhf. I dont see any reason why I would need VHF if that is the case.

I don't have that antenna, so I can't comment on it's performance. Your locals that broadcast their analog signals on VHF mean nothing because the 622 doesn't have a tuner for those channels. It only picks up the digitals, which you say are UHF. If so, you're in good shape.

I've read comments from many people who have this mounted in their attic.

Your locals that broadcast their analog signals on VHF mean nothing because the 622 doesn't have a tuner for those channels. It only picks up the digitals, which you say are UHF. If so, you're in good shape.

Correction . Some digital channels (HDTV) are transmitted on VHF. 622 have tunner for digital UHF and VHF channels. In few years many stations might switch to VHF.

Last edited:
The 622 doesn't have an analog tuner. To repeat my comment, "analog signals on VHF". I am referring to the analog part, not the VHF or UHF.

I am only about 10 miles from the transmiters and have installed a Terrestrial Digital DB2 in the attic and now get 87 to 100 on all channels.

Paid about $25 for it.

Cinemax Free Preview Postponed?

New to Dish Network/ViP622

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts