522 Woes...

mepatri

Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
I have a question - kind a complicated, but here goes.- I just got the 522, but I (and even the Dish tech) can't get a picture on the second TV. The second remote is communicating with the DVR/receiver, but no picture on TV2. I've got a dual LMB, and both cables come down the post and into a box with two imputs, and one out. From there he patched with a single cable out into a grounding block with two in two out, but there's only one cable to connect from the first box. From there it's two out into the garage with a box that accepts the two cables coming in from the outside, and connects to the two cables running into the house - one to the main TV, and one to the second tv. This is stupid. It looks like only one out is working. Is there some sort of connector (duplexer) that will solve this? I'd like to get two seperate feeds so one tv is independent from the other for programing.

BTW - the second TV is a Zenith System 3 - it's pretty old, but looks like it accepts channel 60.

UHF 60 and Cable 60 are completely different frequency bands, make sure the TV is set to Antenna not Cable mode.

Thanks - I tried both - same problem. I can get signal to TV2 and use the old receiver and it picks up everything just fine when I bypass his splitter/duplexer, or what ever it is. He's coming to the 522 with only one of the two cables from the outside. He's splitting at the 522 and hooks up to sat1 and sat2. He then comes out for TV2 and runs back into the splitter. I'm not sure how the 522 works, but how would it get to the second tv if it's running back to the main cable? I think it would need to connect to the second line from there. Oh well, I'll keep trying. Thanks for the reply.

From your description, something smells awful regarding the wiring. But I'm not one of the experts around here so I won't address. One thing I can contribute...my TV2 is an older, non digital tuner, so I could not do ch60 and the OTA channel barely came through. Hence, we went through a VCR, then to TV. All was well.

Ok, been mulling this over some more. Sounds like a major screw-up by the installer. Here's what you should see. One cable into Diplexer (what you call splitter). From it, one jumper cable to Sat 1, one jumper cable to Sat 2. Then, TV1 cable should hook to TV CH 3-4 connection, and TV2 should hook to CH 21-69 out. Nothing should be going BACK to the splitter.

Hey, thanks a lot. That's the direction I'm moving toward also. I think the TV is just too old - about 20 years. I'm not sure how the 522 works - if the signal is sent through the cable by another method than was done by the older receivers (UHF?) and the older set can't decode it or what.

Thanks for all the help!

KAB said:
Ok, been mulling this over some more. Sounds like a major screw-up by the installer. Here's what you should see. One cable into Diplexer (what you call splitter). From it, one jumper cable to Sat 1, one jumper cable to Sat 2. Then, TV1 cable should hook to TV CH 3-4 connection, and TV2 should hook to CH 21-69 out. Nothing should be going BACK to the splitter.

Hey- that's a good thought. I'll print off your instructions and rewire accordingly. I sure appreciate all the help. By the way, the diplexer says Sat and UHF on the outputs respectively. I'm not sure if it should say Sat and Sat since there are two seperate lines coming down from the dish. I'm not even sure that would make a difference.

Thanks!

The Diplexer should say IN, and Sat 1 and Sat 2. Wrong splitter? If my wiring description does not work, call the company that sent him and tell them he wired wrong AND used the wrong splitter. Demand another installer RIGHT NOW. Make them get it right!

Thanks- I'm gonna do just that. The diplexer has an in/out and two outs leading to the house. One labeled Sat and the other labeled UHF. Sounds like he screwed up. Thanks again.

If it's an older TV, make sure that you are connecting the coax to the UHF antenna in, not the VHF cinnection. Also, make sure the TV is set to over the air, not cable. You may need a matching transformer to connect it.

fs2685 said:
If you set your 522 to Single mode you could tell whether both satellite input signals were reaching the receiver. That would tell you whether the problem is with the satellite lines in or the TV2 line out.

Thanks - I'll give it a try!

Mepatri:

Did they get back there and straighten things out for you?

New December Promo includes a Sirius Car Radio

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts