5 LNB can not be installed per installer

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Manjo62

Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
I have a 3 LNB installed by Robert's guy about 2 years back on side of my roof, they did a great job and I have no issues for 2 years.After 2 cancellations I finally had someone from DirectTV's DirectTech subcontractor at my place to do the install of 5 LNB dish.

The installer said he will be unable to install on the side of the house as the new dish is 40lb & can not go on side. He said he needs to put it on Roof and if he puts on the roof then I will not get signal from 119. Installer and subsequently DirectTV installation support said that his supervisor will review and based on the description it may an issue of no line of sight issue and I may not be able to get 5 LNB unless I shop the tree in front of the house.

Can someone tell me what my options are? Is there someone in DirecTV who really care about these things? The person on the line from their Installation Support Group did not care and so did the DirectTech guy.

Thanks

Attachments

• PICT0601.JPG
    PICT0601.JPG
    350 KB · Views: 277
  • PICT0600.JPG
    PICT0600.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 255
Manjo62 said:
I have a 3 LNB installed by Robert's guy about 2 years back on side of my roof, they did a great job and I have no issues for 2 years.After 2 cancellations I finally had someone from DirectTV's DirectTech subcontractor at my place to do the install of 5 LNB dish.

The installer said he will be unable to install on the side of the house as the new dish is 40lb & can not go on side. He said he needs to put it on Roof and if he puts on the roof then I will not get signal from 119. Installer and subsequently DirectTV installation support said that his supervisor will review and based on the description it may an issue of no line of sight issue and I may not be able to get 5 LNB unless I shop the tree in front of the house.

Can someone tell me what my options are? Is there someone in DirecTV who really care about these things? The person on the line from their Installation Support Group did not care and so did the DirectTech guy.

Thanks

If you install an AT9 where the Phase 3 dish is, on the rake board, it will not be stable enough. It looks like he could put it on the roof just above the present location. I ASSUME he did a sight survey and that's why he said there was a tree in the way. If so, it must be very close to being in the way of your present dish.

Thats why we hate to install new 5 lnb dishes. Its not just an upgrade its oftentimes a complete reinstall because we have to find a new location sometimes do a pole mount and therefore rerun all the cables going to the house.

I suggest stay with 3 lnb dish because right now it gives you same channels as 5 lnb dish. 2 new satellites arent even working yet. They supposedly will add more channels in the future but for now you are good.

What about sistering a length of 2x10, say 1 1/2 to 2 foot, on the rake board? Painted the same trim color and you'd hardly notice it. Make it long enough to catch at least two roof rafter ends and screw it into them plus a couple of other places along the length. The 2x10 should be strong enough to hold the 5LNB. Of course that doesn't help the LOS situation if that's a problem from that location.

tech007 said:
the 2 new satellites arent even working yet.

HUH? Why do some people keep saying this untruth? The two newest satellites, Spaceway 1 & 2 are launched and working just fine. Just because some people might not have any MPEG4 LIL or RSNs from them yet in no way means you tell people that they don't even work yet; that's just a flat out lie.

To the OP - MANJO62; have you looked into an eave mount for the side of the house? There are a myriad of options and I would urge you to seek other professional installer opinions OUTSIDE of "normal" channels where guys all from the same company will just be backing up what the other said for the heck of it. Whether or not you NEED the 5 LNB dish now is not the issue; the issue is at some point soon you will need it, so you had best get all this figured out now as opposed to waiting.

Last edited:
Your fine with the 3-LNB dish right now.

tech007 said:
2 new satellites arent even working yet. They supposedly will add more channels in the future but for now you are good.
Yes , Some are ....
That is where the MPEG4 RSN's are coming from asare teh locals some are receiving.
Thats ok, I had to inform my installer of the MPEG4 being active as well.
Actually only one of the sats are active in my area ...

Jimbo

Manjo62 said:
The installer said he will be unable to install on the side of the house as the new dish is 40lb & can not go on side. He said he needs to put it on Roof and if he puts on the roof then I will not get signal from 119.
Thanks

My 5LNB (AT-9) dish is mounted on the side of my home. Stable, solid mount with two stabilizer bars. What was the side mount problem he had?:confused:

Mtnmike said:
My 5LNB (AT-9) dish is mounted on the side of my home. Stable, solid mount with two stabilizer bars. What was the side mount problem he had?:confused:

That was his problem; he said he can not get stabilizer bars installed. I guess he was not to keen to go on the second floor roof and try to install it at an angel. He said he was not tall enough. I am in NYC metro area; I am supposed to get HD Locals in MPEG4.

Based on other posts I may be fine with 3 LNB for now but sooner or later I will need 5 LNB dish.

I agree with the “installers” used by DirectTV, they will back each other, when I had my original install, I was told I will not get signal but then Robert (VE) sent his guy who did the install.

Thanks for all the replies.

Have you looked at a separate eave mount? Keep in mind that nearly all installers are contractors; not really employees of DirecTV and they get paid per job. Some "lazy" ones don't like to mess with anything that looks lengthy or troublesome; and I follow that with MOST are not that way, but you can get caught up in a company that seems to be overrun with lazier workers; that would put all the blame on the contract company boss. Same as with every other place you deal with in life. Do you still have the contact info of the guy Robert sent out? Its always wise to keep hold of such info when you find someone that does good work.

Last edited:
I said this before and some of the experts:rolleyes: here said it impossible. It's plenty of people who cannot get the KAKU dish do the dish size and mounting restrictions. I installed some people that I know it going to be next to imposible to to install a KaKu.

Diretech are idiots, incompetent bofoons, you need to call retention and speak to superviser and if you don;t have a comfort level with the one you get hang up, wait till the next shift comes on and repeat the process, demand they make diercttech hire one of their subs to come out and get it done. They have a new workers comp policy they bought on the cheap that does not insure them on the roof so they lie their ass off about roof jobs or in some cases tell you the truth, a few of their installers told me so, and they are basically idiots, I had a sub called MegaTech here in Memphis come out and they ahd to re-do some of directtechs wiring. I will now just call them and pay them out of my pocket and DTV retention said they will just reimburse me by crediting me what it costs. Dont listen to directtech, they are clowns.

geaux1 said:
Diretech are idiots, incompetent bofoons, you need to call retention and speak to superviser and if you don;t have a comfort level with the one you get hang up, wait till the next shift comes on and repeat the process, demand they make diercttech hire one of their subs to come out and get it done. They have a new workers comp policy they bought on the cheap that does not insure them on the roof so they lie their ass off about roof jobs or in some cases tell you the truth, a few of their installers told me so, and they are basically idiots, I had a sub called MegaTech here in Memphis come out and they ahd to re-do some of directtechs wiring. I will now just call them and pay them out of my pocket and DTV retention said they will just reimburse me by crediting me what it costs. Dont listen to directtech, they are clowns.

You'll get real far calling with an attitude like that.
:rolleyes:

It always better somebody by recommendation. There are a lot of private contractors who do a great job custom wiring your house for TV phone and hi speed data. The only problem with those contractors.....they dont get up-training on new products. And thats a big problem. Today is very different than yesterday. Competition all across the board is forcing companies to cross into different industries. In the nearest future there wont be any phone nor there will be Vonage. It all will be absolete. One source will give you all the data you need and dont need. Satellite will provide both interactive video content (TV) and hi speed data exchange (internet, telephone, telegraph etc.) And its changing fast much faster than older days. Because competition.
So my point is as much as you love that contractor doing a beautiful job for you beware.........he does not understand what Ka-Ku is and why the hell your HR-20 and H-20 both burned and wont come back to life. Moron put a wrong multiswitch that damaged the receivers. The only good news is Directv always will replace boxes for free.

tech007 said:
It always better somebody by recommendation. There are a lot of private contractors who do a great job custom wiring your house for TV phone and hi speed data. The only problem with those contractors.....they dont get up-training on new products. And thats a big problem. Today is very different than yesterday. Competition all across the board is forcing companies to cross into different industries. In the nearest future there wont be any phone nor there will be Vonage. It all will be absolete. One source will give you all the data you need and dont need. Satellite will provide both interactive video content (TV) and hi speed data exchange (internet, telephone, telegraph etc.) And its changing fast much faster than older days. Because competition.
So my point is as much as you love that contractor doing a beautiful job for you beware.........he does not understand what Ka-Ku is and why the hell your HR-20 and H-20 both burned and wont come back to life. Moron put a wrong multiswitch that damaged the receivers. The only good news is Directv always will replace boxes for free.
Where do you come up with this stuff ???
Let me know when D* is going to make my phone line obsolete ... they are not going to come to my house and say "Give us your phone line , or else"
What D* is going to come out one day and say "WE have bought up ALL the phone companies and we will supply you everything "

My company already supplies all the communications needed, Phone, TV, and Internet.

tech007 said:
The only problem with those contractors.....they dont get up-training on new products. And thats a big problem. Today is very different than yesterday. So my point is as much as you love that contractor doing a beautiful job for you beware.........he does not understand what Ka-Ku is and why the hell your HR-20 and H-20 both burned and wont come back to life. Moron put a wrong multiswitch that damaged the receivers. The only good news is Directv always will replace boxes for free.

LOL; this from a guy telling customers just a few days ago that neither of the Spaceway satellites were even operational. CLASSIC!

I understand. Today Verizon and Cable can give you all in one package. But tomorrow satellite companies will be able to do the same with a 100% clear picture and quality and no cables running to your house.

I do not think it will be the satellite companies--I hope it will, but I don't think so.

The way it is looking, and as much as I love satellite TV, is that it will be the phone and cable TV companies that win this war.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Newbie w/DVR+ issues

HR10-250 Crashing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)