The Solid Signal Blog

Get the latest on the world of Technology from our friends at SolidSignal.COM
OK folks, cards on the table. I’m writing this article in the summer of 2023 when there isn’t a lot of new live TV. There’s a writers’ strike on, and that’s not making things any better. So, I find myself flipping through my DIRECTV guide a lot hoping that something will jump out at me.One thing did, although it’s probably not the thing that the content providers wanted. A3 If you highlight the name of a channel in the guide, you’ll see some of the channels have a mysterious “A3” designation. Try it yourself. Highlight the call letters of your local channel and look at the description at the top of the guide, you might see it. I know our Southern California friends have several channels listed that way, and it’s been like that for...
You know those memes on social media that say something like “If you can remember (this thing) you’re officially old?” Well if you remember putting aluminum foil on the ends of your antennas, you’re officially old. Back in the 20th century, putting tin foil on the end of an antenna was believed to improve reception. Some people got really into it, too, with different aiming styles and everything. Sometimes it seemed like a bit of a cult, the people who put foil on their antennas. Here’s the thing though: the results could be questionable, and for most people it didn’t work very well. Today’s antennas are more sophisticated so you could actually be hurting your chances of a strong signal by doing this. Let’s back up a little and...
DIRECTV’s Gemini, whether in its satellite version or internet version, is capturing the country’s interest. It’s a really unique option in the pay-TV world. Other pay-TV providers have streaming addons, but this is the only box that does the streaming processing on the actual device. Other services, like DISH, use a central host to do a lot of the heavy lifting. In the live streaming world, Gemini for Internet offers a great way for longtime pay-TV customers to transfer over to streaming without losing a friendly remote or a comfortable user experience. The remote is also a big hit. It communicates over Bluetooth (and infrared, if you’d prefer) for easy pairing and easy use. It has a voice control button driven by Google. And, it’s...
I hesitate to use the word “iconic.” It’s overused. But it’s hard not to use that word when you’re talking about the 1983 film National Lampoon’s Vacation. Later films in the franchise were not as well regarded, but Vacation is generally thought of as a comedy masterpiece of its time. It pulled in a very respectable $61 million at the box office, That’s north of $200 million today, which is pretty respectable considering its meager budget. 1983 was a great year for cinema, with Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, Tootsie, Flashdance, Risky Business, and other classics arriving one right after another. As a result, Vacation just barely cracked the top 10 of 1983. In other years it would have been the top movie hands down. The real...
What you see above is Televes’ 5-output indoor distribution amplifier. It’s powerful little amplifier that’s getting a lot of positive reviews out in the real world. There’s a real controversy about amplified antennas and it doesn’t help the matter that most of the arguments use words like “should” and “might.” Antennas are supposed to be science, right? An antenna amplifier, like any amplifier, takes in a signal and puts out a much stronger signal that has the same characteristics as the old signal. If the signal was noisy to begin with, it will be noisy coming out, too. Add to that the “noise figure” of the amplifier, which in simple terms is the amount of noise that’s added in just by the amplification process. Here are some cases...
Well, let me first answer your obvious question. Obviously you would not want one satellite system to work in multiple countries, unless you’re going to more than one country. While there’s a little bit of RV’ing that goes on across the borders into Canada and Mexico, for the most part we’re talking about yachts here. And before most of you check out, thinking you’ll never have that kind of money, hang on… it’s still a good article. I’m in a mood as I’m writing it so it’s going to be a little prickly. Everyone likes it when I get a little prickly. Here’s the scenario So, let’s say you’re superwealthy and you have a big yacht. I mean, big. Like, big enough that you won’t even notice a two-and-a-half-foot wide white gumdrop somewhere...
By now you probably know that you can get satellite TV on your yacht if you want. Of course the challenge for most of us would be getting that yacht in the first place, but that’s another story. Let’s say for a moment that you’re doing ok in life, that you have a small cabin cruiser and you want to take it out to sea for a while. Sounds great, right? If you’re thinking about a life at sea, you may be wondering if that satellite TV purchase is worth the money. After all, satellite TV for marine applications isn’t cheap, so one of the things you’re probably asking yourself is whether or not you’d actually be able to get coverage while out there. The easy answer: yes In many cases, the answer is yes. Satellite TV is designed for...
Every story has a beginning. We launched our Xtreme Signal line of antennas in 2014 with just two models, the HD1080X and HD8200XL. Since then, we’ve added the exclusive, award-winning HDB2X, HDB4X, HDB8X, and HDB91X to round out the line and give you top performance no matter how far from the towers you are. (The HD1080X and other models we’ve launched have not quite lived up to standards so we discontinued them.) Back then… No one believed that a web site like ours could launch an antenna line. The antenna market was dominated by longtime players with loyal followings. But we were patient. We sat back and learned from the masters. We added Xtreme Signal to our product mix, but we kept antennas from Winegard, Antennas Direct, and...
First, let me say this. DIRECTV DVRs are incredibly reliable. Consider for a minute that they are computers, as complex as any computer you use in any other context. They sit in unventilated spaces and gather dust. Still, they work for years and years and years. I know of people who have 15-year-old DVRs. I wouldn’t recommend it, because they’re dog slow, but they do work. But, it’s going to happen at some point that a DVR stops working. Sometimes they tuner chips burn out, sometimes it’s the power supply. Sometimes the hard drive sticks and that’s the end of that. When that happens, you’ll call Solid Signal at 888-233-7563 for a replacement. But when you do that, you’re going to ask the same question that most people ask. How can I...
With the latest version of its streaming, phone and tablet apps, DIRECTV has re-enabled and improved a feature that was part of its service for years, until it wasn’t. Starting with the new recordings you make after updating the app, you will once again be able to stream the actual recordings you have made from your home DVR rather than their on-demand counterparts. This means that you’ll be able to fast-forward through commercials. It brings the streaming app one step closer to being a replacement for a Genie client, too. I’ll show you a little of the process, but first let’s look back at where we were. Operation Nomad DIRECTV’s ability to take your programming with you predates DISH’s. Back in 2010, the DIRECTV team developed Nomad...
Netflix has become a leading streaming platform, offering a vast library of movies and TV shows. However, navigating through the extensive content catalogue can sometimes be overwhelming, and you may miss out on hidden gems that suit your interests. Did you know that there is a way to uncover hidden movies on Netflix using secret codes? In this article, we will explore the concept of secret codes, how they work, and provide a step-by-step guide on how to use them to discover hidden movies. So, let’s dive in and unlock a world of hidden treasures on Netflix! What are Secret Codes on Netflix Netflix has a vast content library divided into various genres and categories. While the platform presents a curated selection of movies and...
RV battery storage is for any RV owner who plans to store their rig during the winter. Fortunately, property battery storage isn’t very difficult. In fact, most RV owners don’t have to do anything more than leave their rig plugged in over the winter. That’s usually enough to keep the battery from freezing. Other RV owners have to remove the battery from the vehicle and put it on a trickle charge. How do you know which option is best for you? Signal Connect shares these and other important RV winter storage tips. Every water faucet Lights Shore power 12 Volt DC power Air conditioning/heat Shower Every interior light Refrigerator Even after you shut your RV off, there are a few more things you should check. This includes your...
USB has had a run of about 25 years at this point. For most of that, it was the perfect solution. But it’s turning into an unruly mess and our podcaster’s just about had enough. Listen, then call 888-233-7563 to learn how Solid Signal can keep you connected. Listen to the podcast your way! Just choose one of the following: Option 1: Click on the image above to stream the podcast in your browser. If you use the YouTube player above, be sure to subscribe to get future videos delivered to you! Option 2: The Solid Signal Podcast is available on several podcast aggregators. Search for us, or tap on the links below on your mobile device. If you want us to add another aggregator leave a comment below. Amazon iTunes Google Podcasts Overcast...
Everything is riding on your RV tires, literally. Your trailer tires carry the full weight of your investment. They also preserve your life and the lives of your passengers. This is why you need to know how much air is in your tires before you head out for your trip, and before you return. You also have to have the ability to fill your camper tires to the right pressure if they are low. As important as these things are, they can get overlooked by RV owners excited for their big trip. Signal Connect offers you these three basic tips to help you maintain your RV tires. Why RV Tire Pressure is Important Before you head out in your RV, your tires must be equally inflated. You also have to inflate all your motorhome tires to the correct...
February 23 – March 1, 1985 This week Ken welcomes UK writer (‘Sort Your Head Out – Mental Health Without All The Bollocks’), podcaster (Top Flight Time Machine, The Reset), broadcaster and all around fascinating guy Sam Delaney to the show. Ken and Sam discuss living in London, the suburbs, New Cross, violent cities, how 1985 is EVERYTHING, being the editor of Heat Magazine, the editorial decisions behind what goes on the cover, watercolors, Live Aid, pop music, toys, Glen A. Larson, the history of TV Guide, TV/Radio Times, smoking, Christmas Cigarettes for children, the golden age of “Kids Gone Wild” media, Terrorism on TV, Posh Families, the TV Guide Empire, Kirstie Allie as Gloria Steinem as a Playboy Bunny, being completely...