The Solid Signal Blog

Get the latest on the world of Technology from our friends at SolidSignal.COM
2014 shouldn’t seem like so long ago. Back then I got supremely excited because DISH subscribers could, for the first time, authenticate to the ABC app and stream ABC programs. And it would be several months before DIRECTV subscribers could do the same. Oh gosh, that seems impossible, because it feels like we’ve all been streaming our TV forever. Streaming apps were obviously not part of carriage contracts in 2010, because live streaming TV was in its infancy. A few pioneers with home theater PCs did it, and some of us streamed using our phones in Wi-Fi only (since cellular data didn’t cut it back then) but back at the turn of this decade, only 7 years ago, a streaming, on-demand future was something we mostly dreamed about...
This document is available in PDF Format! Click here to download! DIRECTV’s AIM meter is intended for installation professionals. If you’re a DIRECTV tech, you’ll generally get several hours of online training before going out into the field to use one. It comes with comprehensive instructions (available for download here) but sometimes, a meter finds its way into the hands of someone who just needs to use it to figure out a quick problem. Sometimes, a technician isn’t available where they are. In cases like that, having some basic understanding of the meter will help diagnose simple problems. This is often the case for our marine customers, who rely on an on-board engineer to keep things running. This person may not have time to take...
May 14-20, 1994 This week Ken welcomes comedian, podcaster and author of the upcoming new book about 90s US Sketch Comedy (which you can and SHOULD purchase at sketchcomedybook.com), Jason Klamm. Ken and Jason discuss podcasting, not making money with your art, The Vacant Lot, Exit 57, Amy Sedaris, getting turned down by a person’s “people”, Almost Live, The Bert Fershners, the nicest millionaire you know, Adam McKay, 9 Lives, UCB, Phil Hartman, Newsradio, history being written by the victors, sending flowers, FTD, Mrs. Doubtfire, weird places you got VHS tapes from, Star Trek The Next Generation, Laugh-In, Ruth Buzzi, Nixon, Nick at Nite, shows canceled after one episode, character vs plot, Ken’s mean prank phone calls to Joe...
Does it pay to be first? In the tech world, first should mean best, right? If you create a new market, doesn’t that mean you control the market? It should be a no-brainer. Yet, time and time again we see that being first isn’t the best thing in tech, that is if you can even come up with a definition of “what it means to be first” and that’s hard to do. In the 1990s blockbuster Jurassic Park, Dr. Ian Malcolm explains the march of technology this way: That’s how innovation works. It’s pretty rare than anyone really invents anything out of the blue. Everyone builds on someone else’s work. It’s not a new thing — the telephone was based on the telegraph, the telegraph was based on Hertz’ research… and on and on. So we say “the iPhone...
Using an antenna can save you thousands of dollars in cable and satellite fees, but it’s hard to choose the right one. Antennas are still a bit more of an art than a science, and it can be hard to know which antenna you need. If you search some popular online stores, you’ll find hundreds of them in various shapes and sizes. It’s not always easy to know which one will be right for you. Here’s the easiest way The easiest way is simply to ask. Call us at Solid Signal at 888-233-7563. We’re here during East Coast business hours. Our team of experts will take the information you give us and create a custom recommendation from our wide selection of antennas. That recommendation will even include the accessories you might need. We have...
With the fall approaching, it’s time for businesses to get serious about attracting and keeping customers. Even if you don’t own a business, chances are you know someone who does. Listen to this week’s podcast and when you or someone you know needs DIRECTV, call 888-233-7563. Listen to the podcast your way! Just choose one of the following: Option 1: Click on the image above to stream the podcast in your browser. If you use the YouTube player above, be sure to subscribe to get future videos delivered to you! Option 2: The Solid Signal Podcast is available on several podcast aggregators. Search for us, or tap on the links below on your mobile device. If you want us to add another aggregator leave a comment below. Amazon iTunes Google...
RV Season is in full swing! It seems like every highway and byway in this great nation has its share of travelers who love to bring all the comforts of home with them. But of course not every RV is the same. Some folks prefer a traditional RV, where the driver sits at the front of the living space. Other folks prefer a fifth-wheel, which is a cost-effective way to get into RVing and also offers the driver some privacy. That certainly can go a long way toward preserving harmony in the family sometimes. All of the comforts of home That’s my favorite part of the RV lifestyle. You literally take your home with you. You can cook, sleep in your own bed, and bring a lot more with you than if you were living out of a suitcase. But of course...
If you don’t have a boat, your experience with SiriusXM is probably limited to the free trial found in most new cars. It’s a good service that gives you hundreds of choices for live radio. You’ll get the best of music and talk, available in your car or streaming through the SXM app. But, if you’re a boater, you know that SiriusXM is so much more than that. You’ll get advanced weather, fishfinding, and other information. That information is critical to make sure you’re safe. It will also help you have a great time on the water. If you haven’t signed up for SiriusXM for your boat yet, you’ll want to read all the way through this article. Then you’ll want to make sure you contact Signal Connect to hear all about your options. SiriusXM is...
Right up front, my friends, I have to tell you this is a very hard question to answer. It would be great if there were a single answer that would apply to every situation, but there isn’t. Instead, you have to try to understand the situation you’re in, and use the skills you have to try to get an answer that makes sense to you. The thing you need to know about amplifiers A lot of people think an antenna amplifier is going to be the answer to their problems. In general that isn’t true. Digital signals behave in very different ways than you may expect. With digital television signals, the actual signal level makes almost no difference. Because the TV’s tuner is only concerned with whether it reads a 1 or a 0, it doesn’t matter if that 1...
It’s not always super easy to know what your DIRECTV box is thinking. Unlike a computer, you can’t run a lot of diagnostics or see error logs. There are some tools for that, sure, but for the most part you get two lights on the front of the box. If you don’t know what they mean, it’s a little hard to know if everything is ok. A word about the colors There are some cases when it’s very clear what color the lights on the front of the receiver or client are supposed to be. However, some DIRECTV boxes use yellowish-green lights rather than pure green ones. This can confuse people into thinking something is wrong when it isn’t. If you’re not sure you have a green light or an orange one, you’re not alone. The best thing to do if you’re not...
For over 25 years, the cell phone has been an indispensible part of our lives. Sure, the old Motorola StarTAC in the picture couldn’t do much more than make calls, but even that was a critical part of keeping us safe. For most of us, “I need one in the car in case of emergency” was the reason we first used to justify a cell phone in the first place. Today, we learn about the world on our phones, and the world also learns about us that way. I’ve said it before, if you’re really honest your cell phone is your most prized possession. It’s what keeps you connected to what you care about, and it holds your most important secrets. But a cell phone, any cell phone, is only a part of a mostly invisible network that actually does all the work...
Have you seen the prices they want to charge for replacement Gemini remotes at Amazon? Seriously I don’t know how they get away with it. I’m glad I work at Solid Signal. Our purchasing department has been hard at work and we’ve sourced the original equipment RC82V Gemini Voice Remote. This is the same remote that’s included with the Gemini for Satellite and Gemini for Internet. It will work with any AT&T/Osprey/DIRECTV Stream box as well (since they’re all the same thing.) It pairs easily with your existing box and can be used as a second remote or as a replacement for a remote you’ve lost. I did this video a while back to show how it’s done on the internet box: The instructions are essentially the same for the satellite box, just...
Streaming mergers can impact viewers positively and negatively, potentially creating new shows and movies while eliminating others. Mergers and acquisitions are increasingly common in today’s film industry as studios race to compete in the streaming market. Are these big studio purchases a good or bad thing for viewers? Why Streaming Mergers Are Happening Streaming mergers occur when two digital media companies combine, usually through the sale of a smaller company to a larger one. Studios have merged and broken up throughout the history of Hollywood. Over the past few years, though, mergers and acquisitions have become more common and stirred up debate. Disney is at the heart of this trend. Over the past two decades, Disney has...
Friends, it’s late July and it seems like there’s nothing out there to stream. The big studios would love it if you would go to a movie theater, and of course there’s the lure of real life to consider. But if you’re looking to sit down and bingewatch, it can be tough times. I really had to rack my brain on what to write about this week. The problem with limited series is… …that sometimes they’re not limited enough. I’ve been catching up on some of the second-tier watches that I’ve been putting off. For example, I’ve been watching Silo on Apple TV, FUBAR on Netflix, and Based on a True Story on Peacock. All of these have been around for a while but I’m just now getting to them. I didn’t see any rush with them, honestly. They weren’t...