The Solid Signal Blog

Get the latest on the world of Technology from our friends at SolidSignal.COM
If the RV park doesn’t have a pool or playground, how do you entertain the kids? Signal Connect shares 10 kid-friendly RV camping tips for a fun vacation! Most RV campgrounds have pools, playgrounds, and other activities to entertain your children. What happens if you’re staying somewhere that doesn’t offer these amenities? If your family RV trip doomed? Hardly! There are plenty of things for children to do while on vacation. All it takes is a little bit of creativity from parents and grandparents who want the children to enjoy the RV life. If your affordable family vacation doesn’t involve an expensive RV park, never fear. Here are 10 things things you can do to entertain your “camper kids.” Here’s some “kids camping gear” to...
August 24-30, 1996 This week Ken welcomes singer/songwriter and frontman of his name sake band “Jatk”, Matt Matkola, and the director of Jatk’s “Don’t Come Knocking”, JP DiSciscio. Ken, Matt and JP discuss central Mass, rural internet, body swapping movies, rediscovering (or discovering for the first time) the 60s and 70s talk show era, Ed Sullivan, vintage technology, video cameras, building things to last, cable access, local news stations, R&B, VHS, Arlington Mass, how sometimes you cannot recreate the magic of a piece of analog technology, ghosted images, being on mushrooms, why talk shows are irrelevant now, The Doors, middle school, Summer birthdays, the prime years of Summer TV watching, Star Trek, Tek Wars, 90s Comic...
Thinking of going to Ft. Lauderdale for the boat show this year? Here’s the exclusive news you’ll need to know. Listen, then call 888-233-7563 to get even more of the inside scoop. Listen to the podcast your way! Just choose one of the following: Option 1: Click on the image above to stream the podcast in your browser. If you use the YouTube player above, be sure to subscribe to get future videos delivered to you! Option 2: The Solid Signal Podcast is available on several podcast aggregators. Search for us, or tap on the links below on your mobile device. If you want us to add another aggregator leave a comment below. Amazon iTunes Google Podcasts Overcast TuneIn Spreaker Player.fm Spotify Option 3: Download the podcast in MP3...
A couple of weeks ago, I was perusing the internet when I came across this very question. I set about thinking of how you would do something like this. I also thought about why someone would want to do it. First, the basic answer Yes, it is technically possible. Here’s what you need to know: In order to power a DIRECTV SWM dish using 12 volts, you’ll need to build something that simulates DIRECTV’s own power inserter. Specifically, it would need to supply 29 volts DC at 1.4 amps maximum through a coaxial cable. If what I just said there doesn’t make sense to you, this probably isn’t the right project for you. But if it does, you probably have all the information you need to get started. The power supply you build has to be clean and...
Let’s do a little thought experiment. Imagine there’s a light bulb shining about 22,000 miles from you. It’s a pretty strong bulb, up to 10,000 watts in some cases. But it’s 22,000 miles away. Now imagine you had a device about the size of a small pet carrier that could not only “see” that light bulb but decode some serious detail about it. You might be thinking that it’s impossible. You might be thinking I’m nuts. But that’s just what satellite TV is. What I just wrote above is a pretty good description of satellite television, except instead of a bulb you have a very complicated radio transmitter. I don’t know about you, but I think that it’s pretty magical that we can do something like that. And then, imagine even more magic...
Not everyone has the luxury of putting up an outdoor antenna. Outdoor TV antennas are pretty amazing things. Considering that they are, in essence, metal sticks on poles, it’s just amazing that they can receive incredibly weak signals that originated dozens of miles away. I admit, though, that not everyone is as much of a fan as I am. For a lot of people, an outdoor antenna is simply not an option. If you live in a community with a homeowners’ association, they may have rules about TV antennas. The HOA has a right to limit what you can put in public areas. However, they can’t stop you from putting up an antenna that’s smaller than 39″ in any direction, as long as it’s in a private area like your patio. (If you’re curious about this...
A generation ago, Bruce Springsteen recorded a song that didn’t really sound like something he’d do. It sounded a little more like 1960s-1970s R&B, mixed with a little bit of Dire Straits. He called it, “57 channels and nothing on.” Of course you can listen to it now because the internet literally has everything. Back then, 57 channels sounded like a lot of entertainment. Today of course you can get up to 110 channels with an antenna, plus a couple hundred more over satellite. Then there are the 500 or so live streaming channels available for free, and the entire internet and streaming app infrastructure. And yet, it still feels sometimes like there’s nothing on. I hate to tell you, with the recent writers’ and actors’ strikes, it...
This White Paper is available in PDF format for viewing or printing! Get it now! There is no better way to get customers into your bar than with DIRECTV sports. It’s proven over and over again… DIRECTV isn’t a cost, it’s a profit generator. It keeps customers in their seats and when they’re in their seats they order food and drinks, easily paying for the cost of DIRECTV service. It’s easier than ever to get your bar or restaurant wired, because there are so many good options out there. You don’t have to know how to do it… Signal Connect’s certified technicians will take care of it for you. We’re going to throw a few diagrams your way, though, so you get an idea how it’s done. Figuring out what you need Are you looking to outfit a...
Maybe you’ve heard this term before. Perhaps you’ve thought, “Is this just another way for your pay-TV company to violate your privacy?” Maybe just a little, but it’s not a bad thing. DIRECTV and DISH have had what they call “addressable advertising platforms” for about five years. Cable companies were doing addressable advertising for over a decade. And now, as we slowly inch toward the next generation of TV broadcasting, antenna TV wants to have it too. What does that mean to you in your everyday life? Probably nothing, and maybe something not so bad. You get Cheez-its, your neighbor gets diapers “Addressable advertising” means that not every customer sees the same ads. You may see ads tailored to your location, your age, your...
This question, or one like it, comes up about once a month from our customers. Usually it comes from someone who is upgrading their RV and wants to send programming to more than one TV. A lot of older RVs are pre-wired with coaxial cables and this seems like a good idea. There’s only one problem: the modulator you want doesn’t exist. Here’s why. What is (was) an RF modulator? As any child of the 1980s can tell you, there once was a device built into VCRs and game consoles that let them connect to the antenna input of a television. Often times it was switchable so you could go to channel 2 or channel 3. If you had a game system, it even came with this low-tech slider so you could easily switch between antenna and game system: (As...
Reprinted with permission from the weBoost blog. Have you ever been waiting for an important phone call only to have it drop due to a weak cell signal? It’s so frustrating. We’ve all been there, desperately searching for that elusive reception bar. Thankfully, mobile phone boosters are designed to help boost cell signal at home, offering hope in the battle against poor network coverage. But before you jump headfirst into the world of signal boosters, it’s natural to wonder: are these devices safe? We’re here to uncover the truth about the safety of mobile phone boosters for home. What is a cell phone signal booster? Understanding the basics of how a home cell phone booster works will shed light on its safety. Mobile phone...
OK folks, cards on the table. This blog is supported by Solid Signal, a DIRECTV Dealer. I don’t often spend a lot of time complaining about DIRECTV or telling you they’ve done something wrong. Why would I? If I don’t like something, I try not to make too big a deal of it. But, occasionally, I do mention it when I think they should do something better. This is one of those times. The HDR problem HDR stands for High Dynamic Range. When it’s done right, it makes your HD or 4K picture look incredible. The problem is that the HDR standard isn’t really that well written. A lot of TVs qualify for the HDR designation, but many of them (most, probably) look better in non-HDR mode than in HDR mode. I go into a lot of detail about the reasons...
Photo by Nick Loggie on Unsplash The right surveillance system for your apartment complex can be the difference between a safe and secure community and one that is vulnerable to criminal activity. With the increasing prevalence of technology, apartment complexes now have access to a wide range of security systems, each of which offers different features and benefits. In this article, we’ll discuss some of the key factors to consider when selecting the best surveillance system for your complex, including budget, the latest technology, and comprehensive coverage. We’ll also provide some tips on how to effectively deploy and maintain your security system to ensure that your community remains safe and secure. Assessing your apartment...
Now that we’re deep into the summer, I tend to spend a lot of time watching old game shows. Network fare has more or less dried up, and with the writer’s strike there isn’t even a good supply of talk shows to watch. So, I end up looking at older TV shows, things that will help calm my mind after a long day. Game shows are just the thing. The allure of old game shows Let’s say you were born sometime before 1995. (I’m guessing anyone who’s reading this probably fits into this category.) There are a lot of things you remember from your youth, but one of the treasured memories just might be those days when you didn’t have to go to school. Maybe it was a snow day, or maybe you just convinced your folks you were sicker than you really were...