The Solid Signal Blog

Get the latest on the world of Technology from our friends at SolidSignal.COM
When it comes to your favorite TV provider, some names are pretty obvious, some not. After all, millions of dollars are spent on product launches, which sort of begs the questions of how anyone could come up with names like “hulu.” DIRECTV’s logo DIRECTV plays on the term used in the 1990s for satellite TV, “Direct Broadcast Satellite.” Although practically no one uses the term DBS anymore, it is a fair description of the difference between modern satellite TV and the alternatives at the time. Back then, most of the satellite dishes belonged to cable companies, and those that did not belonged to hobbyists. Satellite service was really more narrowcasting than broadcasting, as it was accessible to only a few people. DIRECTV logo in...
Welcome, Airbnb hosts, to the ultimate guide on how to provide your guests with an unforgettable experience they’ll rave about! In this article, we’ll unveil some clever hosting hacks that will not only boost your property’s appeal but also leave your guests with no choice but to give you five stars. The secret sauce? Stellar connectivity. First Impressions Matter – Your Digital Front Door As an Airbnb host, you know the significance of making a strong first impression. But did you know that your internet connection plays a starring role in this aspect? Guests these days expect lightning-fast Wi-Fi, and providing them with seamless connectivity from the moment they step in is a surefire way to win their hearts. Especially in a world...
Some quick research tells me that there are about 1,800 broadcast channels in the USA. Of those, two companies own close to 500, or 28%. The weird thing is, they’re not even the two companies you’d expect. You probably wouldn’t be surprised if I told you that ABC/Disney, NBC/Comcast, CBS/Paramount, or Fox owned that many stations. But they don’t and they never have. A little history Broadcasting of one form or another has been with us for about 100 years. For most of that time, the FCC had strict rules as to how many TV stations can be owned and operated by one company. Until the very end of the century, a media company could not own more than five stations, period. Specifc rules enacted in 1975 stopped those companies from also...
Data breaches are damaging to businesses of all sizes, but your small business may be significantly impacted if you aren’t prepared. The cost of data breaches is typically in the millions and, according to a report by IBM, around $1.03 million higher when remote work is involved. Hybrid workplaces are opening up companies to more vulnerabilities. Regardless of whether or not your small business has any remote operations, businesses with under 500 employees are still seeing a massive spike in data breach repercussions. IBM reports that small businesses, on average, saw a 26.8% increase from $2.35 million in 2020 to $2.98 million in 2021. Those numbers aren’t to be taken lightly. Your employees, consumers, and business as a whole could...
It’s kind of creepy, isn’t it? It seems like no matter what device you are using, Google Maps and other sites seem to know your exact location. Desktop computers don’t have GPS chips so you have to wonder, right? In the 21st century, we’ve become resigned to the idea that we’re being tracked constantly. Still, few of us understand how it’s done. Tracking your phone’s location If you’re using a phone or other cellular device to browse, it’s pretty straightforward. Pretty much every phone has a GPS chip in it. Even some flip phones do, I’m told. Your phone uses a hybrid system called Assisted GPS to determine your exact location in real time. It uses satellite GPS as well as cell towers to provide really, really accurate location data...
That’s right, I said it. You know you’ve really messed up when your name is a metaphor for failure in the marketplace. So take that David Zaslav, I’m using “pulling a Max” to mean short-sighted business decisions that alienate your key demographic and dilute your core intellectual property by licensing it instead of retaining it in one place. It’s been reported… Paramount’s second quarter earnings call was this past week and they said some pretty disturbing things. You can get a deep dive with TrekMovie’s coverage if you want. Here’s the bottom line: Paramount will be spending less on streaming content They will be doing something they refer to as “super-serving key audiences” They plan on “leaning into franchises” but they also...
Are you a TV antenna fan? I don’t blame you. Most areas have over 50 different channels available that are not carried by any satellite or cable service. Generally all it takes is a TV antenna to receive these signals for free. But, reception is only one part of the package, at least here in the 2020s. You really want to have all your channels accessible in the same guide, and be able to record from those over-the-air sources. DIRECTV’s Local Channel Connector The image you see at the top of this article is DIRECTV’s Local Channel Connector. It was manufactured in a very small quantity in early 2018. It does exactly what you want, as long as you can find one and as long as you have compatible hardware. The LCC was a replacement for...
Managing an agriculture company in the era of remote work necessitates implementing effective strategies. One valuable resource for remote workers is a sit-stand desk. We will explore the concept of a sit-stand desk, its different types, and its benefits for remote workers. By adopting these tools and practices, managers of agriculture companies can ensure a productive, efficient, and profitable remote work environment. Understanding Sit-Stand Desks A sit-stand desk, an adjustable or height-adjustable desk, is a workstation designed to transition between sitting and standing positions while working effortlessly. It provides the freedom to customize the desk height to suit individual preferences and ensure optimal comfort. Sit-stand...
I’m resurrecting this post which originally ran many years ago because it seems particularly appropriate today. You may be aware that last week, Star Trek Strange New Worlds ran the franchise’s first ever fully musical episode. Since then, geekdom has been divided, with some saying this is the worst thing to ever happen to Star Trek and others saying they flat out loved it. OK, we’re all entitled to our opinions, and Trek fans tend to dig their heels in. I’m not going to say who’s right or wrong. I’ll give you my opinion, then publish the original, very short post, below. Rewarding the big swing Strange New Worlds isn’t the first genre show to have a musical episode. A lot of attention has been paid recently to the musical episode of...
In a recent podcast, I gave the surprising and unpopular opinion that USB should be on its way out. This podcast got a lot more engagement than most, so I thought it would be fun to blog a little more about why I think USB should be replaced and what could possibly replace it. USB was awesome when it first launched The USB standard was first launched in 1996. Some things from 1996, like the music of TLC, have stood the test of time. Other things, like wearing your hat backwards and making gang signs with your fingers for no reason, haven’t. USB is probably somewhere in the middle. Before USB, connecting up something to your computer was an incredible mess. There was one connector for your printer, one for your mouse, and a different...
I got this question last week, and I get it about once a month. I answered the same way I always do: “I don’t know, they’re already pretty small.” It’s a pretty fair question though, since most of us remember when TV antennas were over 6 feet long even if you lived in a suburb fairly near a city. The only way you could get away with a smaller antenna was if you lived right in the city itself. Then, about 20 years ago we started seeing compact antennas that had just as much power as larger ones. Is it too much to hope that we’ll see another revolution in antenna size? Unfortunately it’s not likely to happen. Two factors combined to make antennas smaller, and unless something really impactful happens, you won’t see a revolution like...
This article is reprinted with permission from the weBoost blog. There’s nothing like heading out on a road trip. They promise freedom, discovery, and a break from the routine. Maintaining a constant connection on a road trip can sometimes be a challenge, especially when you venture into areas with weak or no cell phone signal. This is where a cell phone booster for vehicles come in handy. A cell phone booster for your vehicle enhances your cell signal, helping you communicate and ensuring a smooth and connected journey. In this article, we’ll explore how a cell signal booster can be a valuable tool on your next road trip. Enhanced connectivity on the road The most significant advantage of using a cell phone booster for your road...
It’s always nice to be recognized. Solid Signal made Inc. magazine’s list of top growing companies back in 2007, and it was just the first of many industry accolades and certifications. It’s just one way that we know that we’re doing a great job serving our customers and it’s something we’re very proud of. You can read our original blog post (recently restored and updated with links that work thanks to archive.org) here. Since 2007, we’ve grown exponentially and we’re still working hard to make your experience better and bring you the coolest stuff! Yes this blog was around back in 2007 Blogging was a very different thing in 2007. Back then, the idea of a company having a blog was new and exciting. Everyone wanted to have a company...
You know that somewhere, probably in your garage, you have a pile of old cables. And if you’ve been in the home theater hobby long enough, that probably includes 15-20 coaxial cables of different types. Possibly more. You know it’s expensive and you don’t want to just toss it, so you keep it because you’re sure you’ll use it sooner or later. But is that really the best idea? It really depends on the use. Over-the-air antennas are actually really tolerant of old or low-quality cable. If you’re cutting the cord those old cables will save you some money and they’ll probably work just fine. Using old cables for satellite TV Satellite TV use is quite a different thing, though. While antenna TV sits down below 700MHz, satellite is just...