Youtube TV sub losses

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi

Cord Cutting is growing faster than ever but many cord cutters are moving away from live TV service. In the first quarter of 2024 alone, over 1.2 million people canceled Comcast, Spectrum, and DISH. Now YouTube TV, one of the live TV streaming services that had seen subscriber growth, has reportedly lost 150,000 subscribers in the 1st quarter of 2024, according to a report from Craig Moffett.

Sunday ticket subs waiting till next season?

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: Teehar and dishdude

Sunday ticket subs waiting till next season?
The total estimated (because of DirecTV and Google not reporting) losses were 2.37 Million left Paid Live TV during the first quarter.

If true, looking at a 7-8 Million loss this year.

I do wonder how many are cancelling at the end of the second quarter, because there is barely any new scripted content on Broadcast/Cable Channels right now.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Trigger warning, this analyst has also referred to YouTube TV as a 'winner' :oldlaugh

“even YouTube TV, the only real ‘winner’ thus far in linear video’s dismantling, posted its first-ever quarterly subscriber loss by our estimate, underscoring the growing seasonality of the increasingly sports-driven linear vMVPDs.”

Actually re-subbhed ahead of schedule a week or two ago, had some extra cash so hopped on the Sunday Ticket offer. Some other content I was interested in, so I'm along for the ride until after the football season again, then I'll be part of next seasons Q1 annual churn.

• Haha
Reactions: Teehar
The total estimated (because of DirecTV and Google not reporting) losses were 2.37 Million left Paid Live TV during the first quarter.

If true, looking at a 7-8 Million loss this year.

I do wonder how many are cancelling at the end of the second quarter, because there is barely any new scripted content on Broadcast/Cable Channels right now.
There is barely any scripted content anytime of the year on broadcast/cable anymore.

There are a lot of good comments at the end of that article. YTTV is just cable and satellite in a different dress. Eventually it will cost $100 a month too.

For me personally, I have so much content to consume via Netflix, OTA, FTA and regular old Youtube that I'll never run out. For sports, I get NFL via OTA, and MLB via MLB.tv for free from T-Mobile, so my monthly out of pocket spend for TV is just $6.99 a month.

There are a lot of good comments at the end of that article. YTTV is just cable and satellite in a different dress. Eventually it will cost $100 a month too.
If YTTV hits that price in a few years, imagine how much Cable and Satellite TV will be.
For me personally, I have so much content to consume via Netflix, OTA, FTA and regular old Youtube that I'll never run out. For sports, I get NFL via OTA, and MLB via MLB.tv for free from T-Mobile, so my monthly out of pocket spend for TV is just $6.99 a month.
College Football is still a issue for the upcoming Fall Season, next year, not at all, so back to YTTV for 5 months in September.

But all of Network/Cable new Scripted Content is on the Streaming Services, along with the streaming exclusives, so no need of Paid Live TV for that.

Actually re-subbhed ahead of schedule a week or two ago, had some extra cash so hopped on the Sunday Ticket offer. Some other content I was interested in, so I'm along for the ride until after the football season again, then I'll be part of next seasons Q1 annual churn.
You can put it on pause, still receive the deal, as long as you take it off pause right before the start of the Football Season, that is what I did.

Say it ain't so! the so called winner lost 150k subs lol
What is so funny?

Dish lost 213,000, Sling lost 135,000 ( a total of 348,000) so more losses then YTTV and they are now the #5 Provider behind YTTV

And Comcast lost 487,000

And Charter/Spectrum lost 405,000

And DirecTV lost 500,000 (estimated)

Reactions: MikeD-C05
A lot of those could be seasonal viewers who sign up for Football season, and then cancel when it is over. NBA viewership isn't that high overall, and they don't offer most RSN's or MLBNetwork, so there is no incentive for people to keep them around during Baseball season if they're only there for sports. What will really be interesting to see is if Venu takes off by football season what effect that has on their viewership.

I'm getting rid of my CableCards from Spectrum in the next couple of months when my promo expires, and I would have gone to YTTV for sure, but now that Venu offers most of what I would actually watch if it is available and a solid product they'll most likely get my business.

How things have changed

Vevo music on Roku