Traditional Providers Losses, 1st Quarter 2024 Edition

We have ATT internet land line to the house with recorded 107Mbps speed. Our avg speed to TVs and computers is 70 min. Mbps. Depending on the traffic, open devices in the home, etc., Speeds can reach 95 Mbps. Over the years, we have had NO issues with ATT internet and their modem. We pay $55.00/mo.

We currently have DTV Satellite with their Ultimate PKG, which has our desired channel coverage with Regional Sports. Yesterday I looked at streaming services with the best channel listings/coverage, and came up with Hulu. The only downside was their locals were Chicago, in our area. No locals for Madison or Milwaukee, WI. plus No Wisconsin Regional Sports for the Bucks and Brewers. Something to think about and discuss with wife.

We have ATT internet land line to the house with recorded 107Mbps speed. Our avg speed to TVs and computers is 70 min. Mbps. Depending on the traffic, open devices in the home, etc., Speeds can reach 95 Mbps. Over the years, we have had NO issues with ATT internet and their modem. We pay $55.00/mo.

We currently have DTV Satellite with their Ultimate PKG, which has our desired channel coverage with Regional Sports. Yesterday I looked at streaming services with the best channel listings/coverage, and came up with Hulu. The only downside was their locals were Chicago, in our area. No locals for Madison or Milwaukee, WI. plus No Wisconsin Regional Sports for the Bucks and Brewers. Something to think about and discuss with wife.
The regional sports channels are on borrowed time, since rating are so bad, advertising is way down ( as it is with all of Paid Live TV) and per sub fees vanishing due to cord cutting ( have lost over 60 Million per sub fees in 7 years).

Unless things drastically change, the ones like Bally have about til the end of the year, team owned ones till the end of 2025.

Fubo just announced-

Today the live TV streaming service Fubo reported its 1st quarter 2024 earnings that show it lost 107,000 subscribers in North America.

So with just 5 companies reporting, we are at 1,141,000 lost this quarter.

Big one reporting next week, Dish on May 8.
Hulu Live lost 100,000.

So up to 1,241,000 lost this quarter .

Dish is to report tomorrow.

DirecTV has been losing an average of 500,000 per quarter for the last 3 years ( as confirmed by a recent Fitch Ratings Report ), so with Dish tomorrow, looking at over 2 Million loss this quarter.

The good news is YTTV should gain ( no estimates yet ), that will offset the losses and help Paid Live TV, but no matter what, Cable/Satellite are still losing so many subscribers and it is increasing.

Where are all the Hulu Live subs going? I would think people who consciously switched to streaming are probably keeping streaming and going to YTTV?

Where are all the Hulu Live subs going? I would think people who consciously switched to streaming are probably keeping streaming and going to YTTV?
Paid Live TV is dying a slow death, people are either switching to OTA, streaming services or both.

Last year, Paid Live TV (before YTTV numbers) lost over 7 Million subs, YTTV gained 1.9Million.

So that mean 5 Million are still totally gone and using what I mentioned above.

Myself included, I left last year.

People are understanding they are getting the vast majority of new content from paid Live TV and the streaming only new content, for a much less expensive price.

Hulu Live lost 100,000.

So up to 1,241,000 lost this quarter .

Dish is to report tomorrow.
Sling lost roughly 135,000 subscribers. DISH TV also lost 213,000 subscribers.

So at 1,589,000 lost already, without Cox, DirecTV, YTTV estimated numbers.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Sling lost roughly 135,000 subscribers. DISH TV also lost 213,000 subscribers.

So at 1,589,000 lost already, without Cox, DirecTV, YTTV estimated numbers.
WideOpenWest (WOW) reported, a loss of 11,000.

The service no longer offer TV Service to new customers, just YTTV, but, as of now, still has 79,000 legacy subscribers.

WOW is also up for sale, reported a loss for the quarter.

So, total as of now, 1,600,000 lost.

DirecTV, Cox and a few other smaller services will have estimated losses.

But, YTTV gains will offset that.