Where are my Satellite Guy's gamers at?

Thanks to amazon's daily deal I got to play some Far Cry 4 on PC tonight. It's obviously way to early to make any real judgements on the game. With mostly high settings, a few turned to medium, post FX on low, and god Rays turned off I was able to get it locked at 60fps at 1080p. The world looks great and Troy Baker was awesome as the psychopath villain in the opening few scenes. I'm looking forward to getting some more time in on it this weekend.

Ugh... I had to post this somewhere...

Didn't you think that console fanboyism died like years ago? At least back by the time gamers had grown up and were able to buy consoles of their own, as opposed to their parents buying them and then you didn't want to be stuck with the "losing" console? The guy in Black in my cousin. I love how the guy in white says, "we're still beating them in sales," as if he works for Sony or is on "Team Sony." I have more respect for people who refer to their local/favorite sports teams as "We won" or "We Lost." I had to physically stop myself from responding because I just didn't want to get caught in their vortex of idiocy....

CDJ02Di.png

/end rant

Ugh... I had to post this somewhere...

Didn't you think that console fanboyism died like years ago? At least back by the time gamers had grown up and were able to buy consoles of their own, as opposed to their parents buying them and then you didn't want to be stuck with the "losing" console? The guy in Black in my cousin. I love how the guy in white says, "we're still beating them in sales," as if he works for Sony or is on "Team Sony." I have more respect for people who refer to their local/favorite sports teams as "We won" or "We Lost." I had to physically stop myself from responding because I just didn't want to get caught in their vortex of idiocy....

CDJ02Di.png

/end rant

If you wade into the nightmare that is the IGN comment section on pretty much any article you will see this kind of stuff and worse every day. The way some of these people talk, you would think they are getting a cut of Sony/Microsoft's profit. The ridiculous thing is that probably 90% of the games these people are playing are on both systems and PC. Unless you're a Nintendo gamer you're pretty much playing the same games no mater which system you buy.

That being said, I do kind of regret my Xbox One purchase. It's not because it's a bad system. If that was the only one I had I would be perfectly happy. I just go weeks at a time without turning it on. I might be nearing a month since the last time I turned it on right now. When I play games on console my default is usually PS4 and there just aren't enough exclusives on either of them yet to require owning them both. I planned to get way more use out of the Master Chief Collection than I did but the fact that it was so broken pretty much robbed all my excitement there. I did have a good time with Sunset Overdrive though and I know there will be exclusives I want to play in the future. I probably could have waited for that $350 Sunset Overdrive bundle or even longer instead of my $500 kinect and no games bundle though.

I've been the opposite. My PS4 has been rather dormant, and I can't even remember the last time I fired up my Wii U. It may have been for SSBU. As far as the PS4 goes, even though I have Advanced Warfare and Shadow of Mordor, SoM is hard for me to get back into because the story and main character are just so f*cking boring, and the sidequests are often just slight variations on the objective of "Kill someone/everyone." I still stand by my GOTY award, but as someone with ADHD it's very easy nowadays for my attention to be elsewhere, and recently it's been on Titanfall and Sunset Overdrive, 2 games that ironically I wasn't a big fan of but over time grew on me. SO got better once I got the hang of Traversing and was able to use Custom Soundtracks via audio stream. Holy sh*t did that improve things. I mean you don't know how much better a game gets when you can choose all the music as opposed to those awful generic guitar riffs that fill up SO's BGM. And Titanfall has taken the place of AW for me and I like the dynamic of basically using my Titan as a tool as opposed to my power suit. Once I settled on a play style I liked the game really got better for me. Of course my PS4 will see some action once The Order arrives, but after that, and I cancel my GF subscription, it may start to collect dust again. I predict my PC will pick up in usage once I go through my Steam backlog, and my 360 is staying alive with WWE 2K14 as I play through the 30 Years of Wrestlemania mode, and is also my go to system for games when I'm rather inebriated, which I'm good for at least once a week, which is more than I can say for my WIi U.

I have more respect for people who refer to their local/favorite sports teams as "We won" or "We Lost." I had to physically stop myself from responding because I just didn't want to get caught in their vortex of idiocy....
/end rant

Speaking as one, real home team fans always say "We won!" "They lost." ;)

Well I received my copy of "The Order" last night, and goddamn is it short. It didn't even last a minute, because my disc was defective! I think that's going to be the final nail in the GF coffin for me. I'll be cancelling my subscription as soon as my games arrive at their warehouse (just to be safe and not get charged.)

Well I received my copy of "The Order" last night, and goddamn is it short. It didn't even last a minute, because my disc was defective! I think that's going to be the final nail in the GF coffin for me. I'll be cancelling my subscription as soon as my games arrive at their warehouse (just to be safe and not get charged.)

Yeah, I got an email from them saying they were going to charge me for Far Cry 4. The thing is, I sent it back 5 days before I got that email. Not only that but when I went to cancel it even said that I was already paid up through the 25th of this month. Unlike Netflix, who will continue to send you movies until your next billing date when you cancel, Gamefly considers your account canceled immediately.

For them to threaten to bill me for the game not being received when I had already paid for that month is ridiculous. It's also ridiculous that it takes them 5 days after I put something in the mail before they acknowledge that I sent it back.

I called support the day I received that email to explain the situation. I said I would dispute any charges they make to my card because I had already paid for service for that month and it wouldn't have been considered late if their shipping wasn't so terrible. I wasn't a jerk about it because I know he had nothing to do with it. It wasn't until this point that the guy checked their system and told me that they had received the game after all. It just hadn't been marked on my online account yet.

He offered me 2 free months to change my mind about canceling. Even with that offer I decided to pass. I'm not saying I will never subscribe again because they are the cheapest way to get new releases as soon as they come out. For now I'm just going to wait for sale prices on the games I want to play though.

Right..I know that they'd try to pull that on me and I'm not going to be a part of that. I have two games out and if they think they will charge me $120 for that, well... This way I can quit clean. I don't even have any games in my Queue that are out now so I'm not at risk of games being sent out when I'm trying to cancel.

I also may sign up again but for now it's just not worth it. There's almost nothing coming out in the foreseeable future that I want to play. I'd just be adding games for the sake of adding them. I have so much stuff in my backlog that I'll easily be entertained for a while.

I finally finished plowing through Sunset Overdrive...

SO is a game that really grew on me. Early on playing it felt like a chore, between the lackluster weapons and numerous fetch quests. This wasn't helped by the bland traversing system as well as awful soundtrack. But once the game went on and the quests got more variety and traversing got more options, I found myself having fun making my way around the city. And as I mentioned in another thread, it REALLY helped when I replaced the game's soundtrack with one of my own. I found my party and techno music enhanced the mood greatly and made everything more fun.

Still, as far as favorite open world crazy games go, this one does not match with my royal family of such games, with Saints Row and Prototype being King and Queen and inFamous being the Prince. My main issue is with the tone of the game and it's attempts at humor. SO really does try too hard to make you laugh with numerous 4th wall breaking moments as well as jokes that generally just fall flat. I definitely cringed more than I laughed. It was just a little too self aware for it's own good, as opposed to Saints Row 4 which was self aware but still took itself seriously enough to not push you away. Insomniac could likely learn quite a bit from the guys at Volition when they come up with SO 2 (and I know they're going to make a sequel, whether it's just for the One or not.) It also tries too hard by making all these "wacky" weapons that aren't nearly as fun to use as you'd think they are, not to mention most you will never use because it's pretty easy to find a set that will handle 90% of your problems easily. Finally, the story sort of sucks. It makes no real sense at all. Granted, story in games like these often take a seat WAY in the back but unless I missed something, it's never explained WHY this soda company wanted to mutate all the citizens of the city.

Overall though, I did enjoy my time with SO once I got into it more. It definitely beats out inFamous Second Son for best exclusive open world game of this console generation (so far) but it's not exactly what I would call a "must have" either. I can definitely recommend it for anyone who likes open world gameplay that has a One, but you'd probably have more fun picking up Saints Row 4: Re-Elected and Gat Out of Hell.

Speaking of GooH, I'll likely be turning my attention to that next. I've considered giving Saints Row 2 one final shot by picking up a copy on the Xbox 360 (seriously, the PC version is garbage) but my backlog is still quite great. I did officially cancel my Gamefly membership so for the foreseeable future it'll just be clearing out my backlog of games. I'm almost done with Shovel Knight, so that will likely be next after GooH.

I finished up Grow Home tonight. This is another one of the smaller games Ubisoft has been putting out lately like Child of Light and Valiant Hearts. Unlike those games, Grow Home isn't running on Rayman's UbiArt Engine. Grow Home is more like a N64/PS1 era 3D exploration platformer. The 3D Mario and Banjo Kazooie games were the first thing that came to mind but this is less about tight platforming and more about exploration.

I should also point out that this game just came out in February and full price from day one was only $7.99. I almost (key word almost) felt bad for buying it on sale for $5 over the weekend. Part of me wanted to show my full price support for smaller stuff like this from Ubisoft instead of more annualized games like Assassin's Creed, especially when they start by asking for a reasonable $8 on day one. The developers have also been adding in extra content in their patches instead of releasing it as DLC and charging for it. It's hard to believe that this is the same publisher that puts out the AC series. The game also doesn't require uPlay.

Basically the point of the game is to grow a giant plant back up to your spaceship in the sky. You can grow the different sprouts of the main plant off in any direction you want and the scale of the game is huge. You will be growing these sprouts to Avatar style floating mountains so you can explore them and look for collectibles. The controls are a little wonky. The robot you are controlling seems like a drunk kid who keeps staggering off with his momentum even when you let off the sticks. You also control each hand separately with the right and left triggers. This allows you to grab and release any surface you want to climb along. It sounds more complicated than it actually is. After about 5 minutes with the game, I felt like I had the control scheme down. This isn't a Brothers situation.

I won't try to act like this is some revolutionary game you have to experience. I did enjoy my time with it and some of the views were pretty amazing. I said before that the sense of scale is huge. You really feel like you're climbing up to space, especially when you look down and see how tiny that mountain you were exploring earlier looks. I recommend checking out a quick youtube video to see what the game looks like because I can't really explain it. If you just barrel towards the ship you can get there in about 2.5 hours. There are lots of collectibles and the world around your giant plant is worth exploring though. I spent a little over 6 hours with it before I decided that I pretty much saw everything I needed to see. Here are a couple screen shots I took with Steam.

E1ECC77EFE174CE629D45C697078CE48DA94A2AE

721712F2E65E818DE86DD8CDD42E343D6D88E6BA

I finally finished plowing through Sunset Overdrive...

SO is a game that really grew on me. Early on playing it felt like a chore, between the lackluster weapons and numerous fetch quests. This wasn't helped by the bland traversing system as well as awful soundtrack. But once the game went on and the quests got more variety and traversing got more options, I found myself having fun making my way around the city. And as I mentioned in another thread, it REALLY helped when I replaced the game's soundtrack with one of my own. I found my party and techno music enhanced the mood greatly and made everything more fun.

Still, as far as favorite open world crazy games go, this one does not match with my royal family of such games, with Saints Row and Prototype being King and Queen and inFamous being the Prince. My main issue is with the tone of the game and it's attempts at humor. SO really does try too hard to make you laugh with numerous 4th wall breaking moments as well as jokes that generally just fall flat. I definitely cringed more than I laughed. It was just a little too self aware for it's own good, as opposed to Saints Row 4 which was self aware but still took itself seriously enough to not push you away. Insomniac could likely learn quite a bit from the guys at Volition when they come up with SO 2 (and I know they're going to make a sequel, whether it's just for the One or not.) It also tries too hard by making all these "wacky" weapons that aren't nearly as fun to use as you'd think they are, not to mention most you will never use because it's pretty easy to find a set that will handle 90% of your problems easily. Finally, the story sort of sucks. It makes no real sense at all. Granted, story in games like these often take a seat WAY in the back but unless I missed something, it's never explained WHY this soda company wanted to mutate all the citizens of the city.

Overall though, I did enjoy my time with SO once I got into it more. It definitely beats out inFamous Second Son for best exclusive open world game of this console generation (so far) but it's not exactly what I would call a "must have" either. I can definitely recommend it for anyone who likes open world gameplay that has a One, but you'd probably have more fun picking up Saints Row 4: Re-Elected and Gat Out of Hell.

Speaking of GooH, I'll likely be turning my attention to that next. I've considered giving Saints Row 2 one final shot by picking up a copy on the Xbox 360 (seriously, the PC version is garbage) but my backlog is still quite great. I did officially cancel my Gamefly membership so for the foreseeable future it'll just be clearing out my backlog of games. I'm almost done with Shovel Knight, so that will likely be next after GooH.

I liked Sunset Overdrive quite a bit too. I did mostly do the main story and only a few of the side missions though. By the time I beat the final boss I was ready to be done with the game. I don't feel that it overstayed it's welcome but it might have if I did all the side content. If it ever shows up on Games With Gold I would be happy to jump back in to that world though.

Like you said, a sequel is inevitable. I think the first game is a very solid base to build a franchise on. A little tweaking for future games and they could have something really great.

Yeah I think I may have done 5 side missions max. I was just plowing through the game. The characters and plot didn't really endear me. I didn't really care about their plight and they were so over the top in terms of trying to be funny that it just made me roll my eyes more than anything. I thought the "Preppie" group in the beginning was somewhat amusing, but I didn't really care for the scout troop or the group of role players, and the Las Catrinas were just like "Okay, I guess now I'm dealing with Hispanic Harley Quinns." I felt no real alliance towards them. It was almost the opposite of how I felt when I played Saints Row 3/4, where the characters played real roles in the plot and would be directly involved with your missions. Most of the characters in SO just felt like set pieces.

I finally "finished" Far Cry 4 the other night with 40 hours of game time logged. And by "finished," I mean I completed the main story and got all the trophies for the easy plat, in spite of the fact I'm only at 70% of total game completion. This is quite unusual for an open-world game in my experience -- that you can get the plat with only a fraction of the collectibles found and less than half of the side missions completed. To do everything would take me at least another 20 hours I imagine. Though I plan to explore Kyrat a bit more, since I've only seen a relatively small part of the northern section of the map thus far, there really isn't much incentive other than to have true 100% completion as I don't have any more skills to upgrade (making XP irrelevant) and my karma is at max.

As far as story completion goes (without spoiling things because this type of choice comes up many times in the game), I made the mistake of killing someone toward the end who would have given the main character closure regarding several unanswered questions that came up throughout the course of the game. I just learned this by reading the FC4 wiki because I was confused on some things when the credits rolled. Now I'm looking for a YouTube video that will show me the full conversation I missed. I only bring that up here so others won't make the same mistake. Like most games that offer "choices," not killing someone is often the better path in terms of fully experiencing what the game has to offer.

I finally "finished" Far Cry 4 the other night with 40 hours of game time logged. And by "finished," I mean I completed the main story and got all the trophies for the easy plat, in spite of the fact I'm only at 70% of total game completion. This is quite unusual for an open-world game in my experience -- that you can get the plat with only a fraction of the collectibles found and less than half of the side missions completed. To do everything would take me at least another 20 hours I imagine. Though I plan to explore Kyrat a bit more, since I've only seen a relatively small part of the northern section of the map thus far, there really isn't much incentive other than to have true 100% completion as I don't have any more skills to upgrade (making XP irrelevant) and my karma is at max.

As far as story completion goes (without spoiling things because this type of choice comes up many times in the game), I made the mistake of killing someone toward the end who would have given the main character closure regarding several unanswered questions that came up throughout the course of the game. I just learned this by reading the FC4 wiki because I was confused on some things when the credits rolled. Now I'm looking for a YouTube video that will show me the full conversation I missed. I only bring that up here so others won't make the same mistake. Like most games that offer "choices," not killing someone is often the better path in terms of fully experiencing what the game has to offer.

I read that you can beat the game in less than a half hour. At the beginning of the game Pagan Min asks you to wait 15 minutes for him to take care of something. Since he is the bad guy and he leaves you alone the natural instinct is to try to escape. Escaping starts the game off like it is supposed to.

The developers included an alternate ending for those who did what Pagan said and just waited in the room he leaves you in for 15 minutes. Doing this allows you to get from the opening credits to the end credits in less than 30 minutes. I didn't try it even though I knew about it before I started the game because I wanted to save the ending until I actually played through the game. I do plan to check this out after I finish the game naturally though. It doesn't require a big time investment and I want to see if it gives a different ending.

I read that you can beat the game in less than a half hour. At the beginning of the game Pagan Min asks you to wait 15 minutes for him to take care of something. Since he is the bad guy and he leaves you alone the natural instinct is to try to escape. Escaping starts the game off like it is supposed to.

The developers included an alternate ending for those who did what Pagan said and just waited in the room he leaves you in for 15 minutes. Doing this allows you to get from the opening credits to the end credits in less than 30 minutes. I didn't try it even though I knew about it before I started the game because I wanted to save the ending until I actually played through the game. I do plan to check this out after I finish the game naturally though. It doesn't require a big time investment and I want to see if it gives a different ending.

Or if you're too lazy for that you could always just watch this:

Or if you're too lazy for that you could always just watch this:

Youtube is my go to for games that require you to play the entire game over again making different choices to see different endings. Even games I loved like Mass Effect. Playing through a 40+ hour game again making choices that I wouldn't naturally make doesn't sound that great to me.

Since Far Cry allows you to get there pretty quickly I'll probably just play it out for myself.

I discovered the 30 minute game as well by reading the FC4 wiki. I'm concerned about overwriting may 70% save file to start a new game to check it out, so I'm more inclined to YouTube it.

I discovered the 30 minute game as well by reading the FC4 wiki. I'm concerned about overwriting may 70% save file to start a new game to check it out, so I'm more inclined to YouTube it.

I would hope that any modern game would allow multiple save states but I know that's not actually the case. I guess I don't know whether Far Cry does though.

So I decided it was worth figuring out the PS4's save file management/transfer system (to external USB) so I could play the 30-minute version of FC4 without overwriting my main save file. As this game was my first true current-gen experience graphically back in December, I have a particular fondness for the opening prologue anyways. There are also those things one tends to miss in opening cut scenes that come up later. I couldn't help noticing how once Ajay gets in the helicopter, just before the part where he has to wait (or not wait) for Pagan, the Far Cry 4 logo flashes on the screen for the first time with the single lyric from the Clash song playing: "Should I stay or should I go?" lol I almost wished instead of the credits rolling and being kicked to the main menu, I could've started playing, or as Pagan Min says, "Now let's shoot some damn guns already!"

Xbox One, issue with Ready to Install List & External Drive

Possible xbox Hard drive issues....is all lost

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)