Where are my Satellite Guy's gamers at?

Yep, it's a Toshiba laptop I bought on Cyber Monday on Amazon 4 years ago. It's been perfect for my general needs and was able to play Star Craft II just fine along with some other games but it doesn't seem to cut it anymore. I'd hate to buy a new computer when mine works just fine and I just bought a new PS3 a month ago. This is one of the reasons I never got into PC gaming, it's too complicated and expensive to keep up with changing technology.
Well, look at it this way: Assuming the friend game sharing system finally kicks off and we all friend each other and can share games amongst ourselves, we all have many games that don't require high level hardware like Day Z does (or at least lower than what your system has.)

To go back to the idea of cost, yes PC gaming does require a decent up front investment, but over time you definitely save money when it comes to digital sales (although PS+ and XBL are being more competitive as of late, although you have to pay a fee to get access) and a MUCH more extensive library of both older and newer games. Yeah Sony is trying to start that game streaming service, but I'll believe that when I see it.

Yep, it's a Toshiba laptop I bought on Cyber Monday on Amazon 4 years ago. It's been perfect for my general needs and was able to play Star Craft II just fine along with some other games but it doesn't seem to cut it anymore. I'd hate to buy a new computer when mine works just fine and I just bought a new PS3 a month ago. This is one of the reasons I never got into PC gaming, it's too complicated and expensive to keep up with changing technology.

To be fair, even an outdated GPU can play games at lower settings years after newer and better cards come out. The problem is that most laptops and standard desktops don't even have an outdated GPU. They have integrated graphics built into the CPU instead of putting in a separate GPU. You usually have to buy a computer dedicated to gaming if you want one with discrete graphics. Many of us built our own because it's much cheaper to buy the exact parts you want/need instead of taking whatever alienware decided to throw in.

To be fair, even an outdated GPU can play games at lower settings years after newer and better cards come out. The problem is that most laptops and standard desktops don't even have an outdated GPU. They have integrated graphics built into the CPU instead of putting in a separate GPU. You usually have to buy a computer dedicated to gaming if you want one with discrete graphics. Many of us built our own because it's much cheaper to buy the exact parts you want/need instead of taking whatever alienware decided to throw in.
Also 4 years for a laptop is like 6 years for a desktop, and if it was a Cyber Monday laptop, I'm willing to bet it wasn't exactly a "future-proof" solution. Nowadays discrete graphics have gotten a LOT better thanks to Haswell+ integrated chipsets, but yeah being a PC Gamer with a laptop is a VERY expensive endeavor. Desktop is much easier. My Alienware when I got it in 2004 cost about $2.1k, and when I did my big upgrade it cost me about $600 (and I replaced EVERYTHING except the HDD at the time), and I'm willing to bet I'll be set for at least 5 years.

Any thoughts on these? I always wanted to get an Alienware laptop but they're just too expensive for the amount of use it will get from me.
Unless it's used exclusively for gaming, there's no point in a gaming laptop. They're generally big and bulky and their battery life stinks because they're power hogs. Gaming is best done on a desktop. If you're serious about getting a laptop that you will also game on, it's best to do some research on dedicated GPUs that are in various laptops, meaning if you find a laptop you're interested in, go to places like Tomshardware and get some benchmark information. You'll probably have to spend around $750 for a decent laptop in that. A budget laptop won't cut it. Keep in mind that if you're willing to get your hands dirty for $750 you can build yourself a respectable desktop, but it sounds like you want the laptop route.

I'm thinking if I were to get one it would be in the $700 to $1000 price range. I wish I had a purpose for my other laptop to justify it though. My wife will not be happy if I buy one. I wish she would want to use my old one but she's a Mac user and my son is too young to need one as well.

Maybe I can win some money when I head to Vegas to pay for it. ;)

Unless it's used exclusively for gaming, there's no point in a gaming laptop. They're generally big and bulky and their battery life stinks because they're power hogs. Gaming is best done on a desktop. If you're serious about getting a laptop that you will also game on, it's best to do some research on dedicated GPUs that are in various laptops, meaning if you find a laptop you're interested in, go to places like Tomshardware and get some benchmark information. You'll probably have to spend around $750 for a decent laptop in that. A budget laptop won't cut it. Keep in mind that if you're willing to get your hands dirty for $750 you can build yourself a respectable desktop, but it sounds like you want the laptop route.

I know desktops are the best route to go for a good gaming PC and they allow you to fully customize them but I don't have a dedicated spot for one. I usually use my laptop while sitting in the kitchen but it's nice to know I can use it in the living room or in bed.

I know desktops are the best route to go for a good gaming PC and they allow you to fully customize them but I don't have a dedicated spot for one. I usually use my laptop while sitting in the kitchen but it's nice to know I can use it in the living room or in bed.
Sorry but what do you mean by "Don't have a dedicated spot?" You mean you have no place to put it, or that you prefer the portability of the laptop?

Sorry but what do you mean by "Don't have a dedicated spot?" You mean you have no place to put it, or that you prefer the portability of the laptop?

I don't have an office or computer room. I don't have a desk where I could have it hooked up and have a chair there. A laptop is just much more simple.

I put mine next to the TV just like a console. It's connected to the AVR via HDMI. That way you don't need to buy a monitor and you can play your games in the most comfortable spot in your house on the best TV and sound setup you have. I use a wireless 360 controller for most games. I have a wireless keyboard and wireless gaming mouse for the games that aren't designed to give a console-like experience. For the same $700-$1000 you were talking about putting into a laptop you could build a much more powerful desktop that can easily be upgraded latter. Another option would be to get desktop parts that are similar in power to the $700-$1000 laptop you were talking about and get it cheaper than that. Laptop parts are typically more expensive for similar quality.

Edit: if you still want a laptop that's fine. It's your money and only you can decide how to spend it. Just keep in mind that once you buy it you probably aren't going to be able to upgrade parts later. That means if you decide you want more power in 3 or 4 years you will probably have to buy another $1000 laptop instead of a $200 GPU.

I don't have an office or computer room. I don't have a desk where I could have it hooked up and have a chair there. A laptop is just much more simple.
Why not use your living room or hook it up to a television? That's what the King and I do. PC games should be experienced like your console games: On a big screen. Nearly all video cards now have a DVI or HDMI port, so it will hook up directly, and while 1920X1080 isn't the highest resolution you can have, I'd rather have that on my 50" screen than 2560X1600 on a 30" screen. Then you just get a wireless mouse/keyboard (or a really long cord if you like to trip a lot) and a wired Xbox 360 controller and you're all set.

Why not use your living room or hook it up to a television? That's what the King and I do. PC games should be experienced like your console games: On a big screen. Nearly all video cards now have a DVI or HDMI port, so it will hook up directly, and while 1920X1080 isn't the highest resolution you can have, I'd rather have that on my 50" screen than 2560X1600 on a 30" screen. Then you just get a wireless mouse/keyboard (or a really long cord if you like to trip a lot) and a wired Xbox 360 controller and you're all set.

I suppose I could hook it up to my big TV in the basement where I do most of my gaming. I guess it just seemed like it would be awkward using a keyboard and mouse while sitting in my recliner. Not only that but it's nice being able to play games upstairs sometimes and I don't want it hooked up to the living room TV. I let my wife and son have that TV. Like I said before, I spend the majority of my time in the kitchen. I like being there because I feel I get more done. I can cook, watch TV, play games and I never get to comfortable because I'm sitting on a stool. If I sit on the recliner or couch in the living room I know it's only a matter of minutes before I fall asleep.

These are all just ideas right now. Even if I went with a desktop I'd have to convince my wife it was worth doing. She already thinks I spend enough money on toys, which I do. I like to spoil myself.

Most games have joystick inputs, so like we mentioned, a standard Xbox 360 controller would suffice for most games. Don't feel like most of your gaming would be on a keyboard and mouse. While some PCMR elitists proclaim that it's Keyboard and Mouse or nothing, that's BS. Feel free to hook up a controller. You could get a wireless one if you wanted like King has, but for me the wired one works fine.

This is the laptop I currently have, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002P8M8HS/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought it on Cyber Monday in 2009. It's really been a great laptop for me and still works just fine other than trying to play some newer games. I wonder if there is anything I can do to it now to make it more optimized for gaming. I really don't use anything else on it other than browsing online and watching youtube videos. I don't use any other software other than I like to play Star Craft II from time to time.

I paid $549.99 for it then.

Well really there's not much you can do with that. The processor and GPU are underpowered. It's a budget system (not that there's anything wrong with that.) It also doesn't help that DayZ is still a beta and thus is still being optimized.

Yeah Sony is trying to start that game streaming service, but I'll believe that when I see it.

I actually just got an invite to the Playstation Now Beta today, though I've never signed up to express any interest. I still don't have much interest because there aren't too many legacy PS3 games I haven't already played, passed on, or currently have in my backlog. I'm supposed to receive a "voucher," which I assume will pay for some of the content I wish to test, so I figured why the heck not and officially signed up on the off-chance they have something like Heavenly Sword, which I never had a chance to play. Best case scenario, which I doubt will be the case, I can play one of the newer Ratchet & Clank games I haven't gotten around to yet or The Last of Us, if they are including recent games in the service. *fingers crossed*

Well really there's not much you can do with that. The processor and GPU are underpowered. It's a budget system (not that there's anything wrong with that.) It also doesn't help that DayZ is still a beta and thus is still being optimized.

Well poop! I kind of figured that, oh well.

I actually just got an invite to the Playstation Now Beta today, though I've never signed up to express any interest. I still don't have much interest because there aren't too many legacy PS3 games I haven't already played, passed on, or currently have in my backlog. I'm supposed to receive a "voucher," which I assume will pay for some of the content I wish to test, so I figured why the heck not and officially signed up on the off-chance they have something like Heavenly Sword, which I never had a chance to play. Best case scenario, which I doubt will be the case, I can play one of the newer Ratchet & Clank games I haven't gotten around to yet or The Last of Us, if they are including recent games in the service. *fingers crossed*

The Last of Us was the game they used when they showed off the service to the gaming press. I have beaten the game but If the Playstation Now beta would let me play long enough to beat the DLC I would definitely try it. Outside of that there is really nothing I want it for. All the big games I still wanted to get to are either on PS+ (inFamous 2, Uncharted 3) or games I already purchased (Uncharted 2).

Now if this service would give us free access to every PS3 game tied to a PSN account from PS Plus and digital purchases I would love it. I have a ridiculous number of PS3 games tied to my PSN account and the list keeps growing every week thanks to PS Plus. If I could put the PS3 away and continue to play them on my PS4 with this service it would be great. From what they have said so far, it doesn't sound like they are planning to do this though.

Last edited:
The Last of Us was the game they used when they showed off the service to the gaming press. I have beaten the game but If the Playstation Now beta would let me play long enough to beat the DLC I would definitely try it. Outside of that there is really nothing I want it for. All the big games I still wanted to get to are either on PS+ (inFamous 2, Uncharted 3) or games I already purchased (Uncharted 2).

Now if this service would give us free access to every PS3 game tied to a PSN account from PS Plus and digital purchases I would love it. I have a ridiculous number of PS3 games tied to my PSN account and the list keeps growing every week thanks to PS Plus. If I could put the PS3 away and continue to play them on my PS4 with this service it would be great. From what they have said so far, it doesn't sound like they are planning to do this though.

You got my hopes up for TLOU, but here's the actual list for beta testers: http://gearnuke.com/list-games-available-playstation-now-beta-leaked/

I'm all over Puppeteer and Papa & Yo should be a quick campaign.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/03/mass-effect-trilogy-may-be-remastered-for-ps4-and-xbox-one

Bioware is thinking about releasing a remastered version of the Mass Effect Trilogy for PS4 and Xbox One. I probably would have bought this so I can keep my favorite video game series after my PS3 gets put away if I didn't just buy the Trilogy for $11 on PC last week. Either way, I'm glad they are still committed to the franchise and I'm excited to see what they do next.

In other news, I put Thief back in the mail this morning. I had posted earlier that I didn't think it was as bad as the reviews said even though it was pretty rough around the edges. This is still true. I still say the stealth gameplay isn't that bad if you can shut out the story and the terrible cut scenes. That part of the game is as unpolished as any game I have ever played. The framerate drops, the lip syncing isn't even close, and the character models look terrible. It's strange that the pre-rendered cut scenes perform so much worse than the actual gameplay. Still, when I was younger and only had access to a limited amount of games per year I would have finished this game and probably been reasonably happy with it. These days I have too many outstanding games in my backlog to waste time slogging through a mediocre, unpolished mess.

I usually like to pick one game at a time and stick to that until I can finish it. Right now, I find myself jumping back and forth between several games though. Saturday night I finished The Wolf Among Us Episode 2. It runs and looks great on PC. It doesn't have any of the slowdown I am seeing on TWD Season 1 and 2 on my PS3. I think I actually like TWAU better than TWD even though I am a fan of the TWD TV show and have read some of the comics and I have never see any of TWAU's source material.

I also jumped back into Don't Starve over the weekend. Something about this game is addicting to me even though I'm not doing very well at it. My record so far is 8 days and most of my attempts are ending at about 5 or 6 days. It's still progress though. When I first started playing I was struggling to make it 2 or 3 days. Don't Starve just drops you into a crazy world with no instructions at all and tells you to survive. I have died in many different ways from starving, to eating poisonous food, to being killed in the dark by who knows what, from trying to hunt an animal that was too big for me, to being smashed by a walking tree, etc. In addition to keeping your stomach full, you also have to keep your health and sanity meters full. The lower your sanity goes the more weird monster type things you will see. I still haven't grasped exactly how to keep the sanity meter up so these types of things will stop attacking me. I'm sure I could look everything up on the internet and breeze through this game but the part that makes it fun is learning for yourself how to survive. You have to learn which things to build and how they interact with the world with no help from the game. It's all trial and error. Some things might kill you right away, while others might give you a combination that makes surviving the next day or two a breeze.

I put some time into inFamous 2 over the weekend too. It's amazing how much they improved over the original. They used a different voice actor for Cole who doesn't have such a ridiculous, gravely voice. The whole world looks much better with a huge jump in quality for the character models. The writing is better too. I thought the first game was fun but I didn't really see where all the praise this franchise gets was coming from. A lot of that is probably because I was playing a game from 2009 in 2014 and there have been some big leaps forward since then. inFamous 2 is starting to make me see why people love it so much though.

Lastly, I have been playing The Witcher. I have heard so many great things about this franchise but I didn't have a gaming PC when the first two came out. The Witcher 2 made it's way to consoles but I didn't want to jump into a sequel without playing the original. I got both of those games for very little money and I wanted to get caught up before the Witcher 3 comes out later this year. I don't think I have OCD but with game franchises I seem to have some OCD tendencies. I have a really hard time playing a game in a story based franchise if I haven't played all of the games leading up to it. Even for something like Borderlands, where the story wasn't all that important I had to play the original first when Borderlands 2 was getting hyped up everywhere. That's the same reason I had to play inFamous 1 and 2 before Second Son comes out even though it's a completely different main character. This is why I probably won't play Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeros or Phantom Pain no matter what kind of review scores it gets. There are just too many games in that franchise for me to go back and try to figure out it's convoluted story.

Xbox One, issue with Ready to Install List & External Drive

Possible xbox Hard drive issues....is all lost

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)