Where are my Satellite Guy's gamers at?

This is a little disappointing to hear (from the IGN Thief review):

In certain scenarios, mostly the side missions, things open up and give you room to decide how you want to get in and out of a building, with options to like going in through the vents, the basement, the roof, or just barging in the front door. You’re rated on each mission by what approach you took and how often you were spotted, so there’s lots of incentive to go back and try different approaches. It’s just a pity that developer Eidos Montreal didn’t realize that this is what Thief should be all of the time, not just intermittently.

The multiple approaches Deus Ex, Dishonored, and Hitman Absolution always seemed to give me were what made them among my favorite games of the past couple of years. I hate it when I'm forced to figure out the one and only possible way to complete a mission without being detected and getting into an unbalanced combat situation (although those games provided plenty of firepower as well if you upgraded yourself for it).

You guys ever play DayZ at all? I have been reading about it online and it sounds pretty sweet.
I'd say hold off on it for now. It's still VERY much a beta and work in progress, although you could get the old school version (The Arma II Mod) but that would be about as much money I suppose.

DayZ sounds stressful to me so I have stayed away from it. When you die you lose everything you have. Each time you meet another player you don't know if they are going to be friendly or kill you and take your stuff. State of Decay is more up my alley because you aren't playing on a server full of people who can ruin the game for you.

Of course, some people love these random encounters with strangers and that is the reason they play DayZ.

DayZ sounds stressful to me so I have stayed away from it. When you die you lose everything you have. Each time you meet another player you don't know if they are going to be friendly or kill you and take your stuff. State of Decay is more up my alley because you aren't playing on a server full of people who can ruin the game for you.

Of course, some people love these random encounters with strangers and that is the reason they play DayZ.

That's what sounds so awesome about it to me. It makes it more realistic. Seems very similar to The Walking Dead where humans are more dangerous than the zombies. You have to earn trust. I can see how it can be stressful but that makes it more real to me.

I have been playing Survival Craft for a couple weeks now and it's taken up most of my free time. One of the reasons I play it so much, besides being fun, is that I can play it anywhere because of it being on my iPhone and iPad. Anyway, I was thinking how awesome it would be to have a Walking Dead theme game just like Survival Craft so I searched online for it and came across DayZ. So that's the reason I asked about it and I think it looks pretty cool but not exactly what I was thinking.

The more I searched I finally came across a game mod for Minecraft that had zombies and survival characteristics. I believe you can also play with others online as well.

I just started a Steam account last night and downloaded the DayZ game. I didn't have time to play it after it downloaded yet though. I'm excited to play it even though it does have glitches.

I just started a Steam account last night and downloaded the DayZ game. I didn't have time to play it after it downloaded yet though. I'm excited to play it even though it does have glitches.
Just installed Steam? Well, welcome to the gaming master race..
gloriouspmr13.jpg

Last edited:
Just installed Steam? Well, welcome to the gaming master race..
View attachment 95726

LOL Thanks. I never even heard of Steam until chatting with you guys on here. I've never been a big PC gamer. I've only played a few PC games like Call of Juarez, the SimCity Series and Star Craft II. I never had a good enough setup and it just seemed harder than playing on a console. All I have is a laptop but I did get myself a decent mouse and headset back when I bought Star Craft II.

Looks like I may need a new PC in order to play a game like this. It's too slow to play and keeps disconnecting. Pretty disappointing since I paid $30 for the game.

Looks like I may need a new PC in order to play a game like this. It's too slow to play and keeps disconnecting. Pretty disappointing since I paid $30 for the game.

It is a big, open world game. If your PC has a free PCI slot and a strong enough power supply you may be able to buy a budget GPU and throw it in there instead of buying a whole new PC. If it is a somewhat modern PC the CPU and RAM are probably not the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It is a big, open world game. If your PC has a free PCI slot and a strong enough power supply you may be able to buy a budget GPU and throw it in there instead of buying a whole new PC. If it is a somewhat modern PC the CPU and RAM are probably not the problem.

PCI slot? What is this, 2004? Maybe he can check if he has a free AGP slot as well. :p

I believe you mean PCIe. He can probably get entry level for under $100 but also get decent level cards for under $200.

I'm really interested in Thief as well based on the early trailers, so I'll be interested to hear your impressions if you get it from Gamefly. The embargo does have me nervous as well.

I played the first couple hours of Thief tonight. I haven't played enough to form a real opinion yet but enough to give my early impressions.

First, I will say that I already like it better than I thought I would after reading the reviews. So far, everything I really don't like about the game is contained in the cutscenes. They are truly awful. The character's faces look terrible, the lip syncing is not even close, and the FPS drops like crazy so you basically have a jittery mess. Not only that but the story ranges from nonsense to non-existent.

Basically, I haven't been told why I'm stealing anything and the actual items I'm stealing aren't very interesting. You will be stealing forks and cups off innocent people's tables as you take a short cut through their house. Instead, of big heist type missions you seem to just grab anything you can as you sneak through an area. Maybe this will change later in the game but that's what I have seen so far.

Now for the reasons I like this game more than I expected to... If you can turn off your brain during the cutscenes the gameplay isn't that bad. Strangely, none of the performance issues that show up in the cutscenes happen during actual gameplay either. It runs smoothly and the world looks pretty good. The game isn't as open as something like Dishonored but it isn't as linear as I expected after reading the reviews either. The stealth is solid and fair so far. Basically when I got caught it was my fault and I immediately knew what I did wrong. With that being said, this is a pure stealth game. When you do get caught you don't have the Dishonored style combat powers or even a sword to bail you out.

Taken strictly as a series of stealth missions this doesn't seem that bad to me. I already know I don't care about the story but I plan to put off inFamous 2 and keep playing this for now. I don't know if I will ever finish it but since I'm not invested in the story that doesn't matter. Basically I will keep playing until it's no longer fun. I will probably send it back in time to be in the first wave for inFamous Second Son whether I finish it or not.

PCI slot? What is this, 2004? Maybe he can check if he has a free AGP slot as well. :p

I believe you mean PCIe. He can probably get entry level for under $100 but also get decent level cards for under $200.

It looks like I might not have the lingo down yet. That's why other people who know what they are talking about hang around here too.

Anyways, his motherboard probably has an open slot if he hasn't already added any hardware to the PC. Unless we are talking about a laptop, it should be an easy process for him to install a GPU into his current PC instead of buying a whole new machine. If he just wants to play DayZ a budget card will probably be good enough. If he can see this hobby continuing to spread he is probably better off putting a little more into it.

It looks like I might not have the lingo down yet. That's why other people who know what they are talking about hang around here too. Anyways, his motherboard probably has an open slot if he hasn't already added any hardware to the PC. Unless we are talking about a laptop, it should be an easy process for him to install a GPU into his current PC instead of buying a whole new machine. If he just wants to play DayZ a budget card will probably be good enough. If he can see this hobby continuing to spread he is probably better off putting a little more into it. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I believe he mentioned he was using a laptop.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yep, it's a Toshiba laptop I bought on Cyber Monday on Amazon 4 years ago. It's been perfect for my general needs and was able to play Star Craft II just fine along with some other games but it doesn't seem to cut it anymore. I'd hate to buy a new computer when mine works just fine and I just bought a new PS3 a month ago. This is one of the reasons I never got into PC gaming, it's too complicated and expensive to keep up with changing technology.

Xbox One, issue with Ready to Install List & External Drive

Possible xbox Hard drive issues....is all lost

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)