What other television services do you have?

In additiona to FTA, I also watch:

• FTA is my only source of TV signals

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Subscribe to subscription satellite service

Votes: 40 70.2%
  • Subscribe to cable television

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • Subscribe to digital television service

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Still using an antenna to pick up local broadcasts

Votes: 28 49.1%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.

TiminMb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Curious if those into FTA are also subscribers to cable, commercial satellite provider, digital tv service or also run an antennae.

Is FTA a necessity or a hobby that provides you with TV up and above a full service provider?

Last edited:
We are currently using antenna's for local stations (4 available). We live in a new subdivision and want the new digital service offered by the phone company. Over 90% of our City has it, but they still haven't made it available in our area, despite their past promises that it would be available soon. I notice that most houses in our area have a dish or dishes. I don't think there are any fta's unless you count hackers.

I have had DirecTV since about 1995.I don't think the Wife would let me drop it.Her and the Kids are not interested in FTA and we love the Tivo service.I currently have DirecTV wired to four rooms.Might need to reconsider that since I hooked up the Coolsat.

Tim
OT: Can you pick up that new Omni channel on 35? I think they went live on the 6th of Feb.

I notice that most houses in our area have a dish or dishes. I don't think there are any fta's unless you count hackers.

That’s just sad.

I have expressvu and omni's been on there for months. Didn't know Star didn't have it yet. Not a bad channel, lots of the same stuff as CTV, but as an independent have some good re-runs throughout the day.

Iceberg said:
Sharris
Not Omni 1 or 2 from Toronto…This is a new Omni channel for the Peg.(they call it Omni 11) Its on Channel 35 OTA (not on EVu or SC yet)
http://www.omnimb.ca/

Thanks for the information Iceberg. I'll have to play around with the tv and look for it when I get a chance. UHF channel 35 eh. Will have to see what needs to be hooked up to what to get it, as the antenna currently runs into the vcr, and I'm not sure if the old Sony will work for that or not, or whether I even hooked up the uhf leads from the Radio Shack rabbit ears and uhf loop setup. Will try and report back.

Tim
Its only 20K watts (and I cant find where the transmitter is located)

Its on Channel 11 cable & MTS TV (but judging by the above note you put you dont have cable and MTS is what is "coming")

I voted for:

a.Subscribe to subscription satellite service
4dtv,Directv,Dishnet

b.Subscribe to digital television service
4dtv,Directv,Dishnet

c.Still using an antenna to pick up local broadcasts
rarely watch analog, but still can
I've probably watched more OTA tv since I got my HDTV 3 years ago, than I have in the past 25 years.

Al

I have cable, for a couple of reasons.

1. It has a lot of sports that are not on FTA.
2. I also have RoadRunner....cheaper with cable.
3. I wanted to get Dish Network, but too many people in my area say that they have lost signals during rain, which doesn't fly with me. My FTA has not had that problem at all.
4. FTA is great, but sometimes the programming choices don't suit my taste.
5. I love HBO.

I really, really have been thinking about Dish Network for a while now, but the 18 month commitment turns me off, as does the poor signal thing. I have all the same channels that they would offer in the package I want to get, plus a few more, but nothing I would watch (i.e. CSPAN, etc.). Supposedly, here pretty soon, you pick the channels you want and get billed for what you use vs going with a standard package, so lets see how that works out.

FTA is great during football season, because there are all those feeds out there....screw paying for a package when you get it free! Thats the best thing of FTA for me.

Can you tell I am a little into sports?

Since June of 1996, DirecTV - 7 receivers - Total Choice Plus, LA locals, ABC, CBS, NBC New York locals thanks to waivers, HBO, Sportspack, MLB EI, NFL Sunday Ticket

Since 2004, MLB.TV on the internet

Since March 4, 1997, Dish Network - 1 receiver now - Superstations, LA locals, ABC Atlanta and NBC Denver and Atlanta thanks to waivers.

C/Ku for whatever free programming is out there. No subscriptions right now. I'll watch anything especially the ending if it's close. Maybe 4DTV in 2006???

No cable for TV, just HSI and phone.

OTA rarely with rabbit ears. Maybe for the San Diego locals if I'm bored. I don't DX like I did when I was a kid. We don't get the fun thunderstorms and the jet stream comes off the ocean where there is no stations.

Iceberg said:
Tim
Its only 20K watts (and I cant find where the transmitter is located)

Its on Channel 11 cable & MTS TV (but judging by the above note you put you dont have cable and MTS is what is "coming")

I was fooling around with the tv this evening and I haven't been able to get channel 35 yet. Input to the sony vcr seems to produce no results. I have a good tv to hook it up to and try as well. If it can't get it, then its hopeless.

Question: Is channel 35 a universal thing? As in, if I set my tv to 35, am I assured that's the same thing as they are referring to??

TiminMb said:
Question: Is channel 35 a universal thing? As in, if I set my tv to 35, am I assured that's the same thing as they are referring to??

Well, if you previously had cable TV, you may find that you need to enter setup menus on your TV and/or VCR to change from "CABLE" or "STD" mode into "AIR" or "ANTENNA" mode.

(Cable TV channels are not broadcasted on the same frequencies as over-the-air antenna channels.)

I just have analog OTA and FTA. All I'd want cable for is news and the occasional sports game. Since there's Russia Today, WRN, news feeds, occasional US news channels, and other stuff like that, I've got that part covered. As for games, while I'd like to have Fox Sports North magically appear ITC this summer (Go Twins!), I'll live with the weekly games on our ex-UPN channel, along with the occasional suprise on the dish.

Channel 35 is OTA. If your VCR (or TV) is set for cable, its a different channel.

Let me see if I remember this right....Channel 29 OTA is channel 80 cable and 23 OTA is 74 cable...so channel 35 would be 86 cable...you can try that :)

Since Rogers owns the station, they might have put it on the same tower as Citi FM 92.1

I have *C (Platinum), Directv (TC+), and if it arrives today will have FTA this weekend. I am seriously thinking of dropping Directv though...the only thing keeping me there is my tivo. the subs on *C & Dtv are getting too much and well I like *C better :D so depending on what I can get with FTA and an antenna I may drop Dtv.

Dish for Voom
OTA Antenna for 19 Boston stations, with a sony HD-PVR
Comcast Platinum for all channels (I even get premium pack)
Expressvu, everything

All hooked to my 63" dlp, and modulated on the cable to tv's all over the house

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Fortec Star Classic NA

Satellite Dish LNBF Triple Holder For Pansat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)