Status
Please reply by conversation.

Swamp_Rat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
South Florida
Hi all,

I have been a lurker for a while and I guess it's time to post.
I have a 1.2 m metal Winegard Ku dish on a HH120. It has the 50 mm post on it. It is starting to get sloppy and will rock back and forth better than a degree. What would you replace it with? I have looked at the motors on Sadoun and saw a HH6000 on scambay. I am looking for one that is heavy duty enough as the 120 strains to move the dish with the Invacom on it.
Just want to make sure it won't wear out in a couple of years like the current one has. It isn't the cost, it is a pain to replace it.

Thanks for any help,

Marty

I have the exact same setup with the exact same problem. I have tried the Moteck SG2100 and the Stab120. Both motors strain when the dish is pointed far east or west. What confused me was the dish would move (with less strain) on some transponders. I found this was due to the increased voltage (+18V vs +12V) used to switch between the horizontal and vertical polarizations. My cable run @ 60ft was causing too much of a voltage drop. I have now placed a powered mulit-switch 20ft from the antenna. This should fix the voltage drop problem, but I am not convinced this will completely fix the far tilt problem.
A note on construction;
The Stab has a brass gear assembly while the Moteck is plastic. The Stab has an internal coil spring which acts to reduce the effective weight when the dish is placed far east or west. I believe over time the spring begins to loose tension (hot, cold, east, west cycles) and thus the motor and gear assembly must do more of the work.
For now I have attached a bungee cord to one side of the dish and attached it to my chimney as a temporary fix. Oh, and by the way, my wife loves this look. In the spring I will retrofit the motor with an external spring (still in the design phase) which will be a final fix.

I spoke with Brent at Sadoun and he recommended their DG 380, he said it was beefier and faster moving than the 120. I ordered one and am going to give it a shot. The dish with the Invacom is heavy and I can hear the motor straining when it moves from the western sats even though I will move it on horizontal transponders to get it 18v. I don't watch much to the east of south even though I play over there once in a while.
There is a noticable wiggle in the shaft, I'm guessing from wear.
The dish is probably overkill but since I have it I would like to have a motor that will handle it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Basic newbie question

Can I do anything with this setup?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)