what is included for standard installation?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jaybert

Original poster
Nov 9, 2006
I currently have DIRECTV with an intl channel package and am thinking of upgrading to HD.

I have been told I will need a new satallite dish, since my current one does not do HD. I am wondering, what is included in the standard installation? I want to route the HD receiver to a room that does not currently have DTV, nor an outlet for it. Is getting a new outlet installed in 1 room included in the price? Or is that extra? Any idea of exactly how much? The wall I want the outlet installed to I believe is accessible through the attic (walkthrough, no crawling necessary, at least I dont think so). Just wanted to get an estimate before I called in to make sure I wanted to do this.

Thanks!

Prices vary from market to market but running the line in the attic and down threw the wall should cost you $50-100. Standard installation includes making one hole from the outside to the inside of your home and running the wire around the house. The new dish and receiver are included in the upgrade pride HD non dvr $99 HD dvr $299. Depending on you account history special credits may apply just ask all they can say is no.

Prices vary from market to market but running the line in the attic and down threw the wall should cost you $50-100. Standard installation includes making one hole from the outside to the inside of your home and running the wire around the house. The new dish and receiver are included in the upgrade pride HD non dvr $99 HD dvr $299. Depending on you account history special credits may apply just ask all they can say is no.

thanks...just signed up a couple months ago, so no special offers. I do get 4 months of free HD package ($9.99/month...was going to get this anyways for ESPNHD). I also got a free non-HD DVR (still have to pay the $5.99/month fee of course) for the tv downstairs. I put myself on the waiting list for the HD DVR, which'll be $200 to upgrade from the HD receiver.

From the info pages:

Discuss any and all requests, expectations and needs BEFOREHAND! Keep an eye on the install process and ask any relative question along the way; stop anything you see happening right away; DO NOT wait until the job is complete and then attempt to complain. Take pride in your home and be an active participant part of the process.

The certified installer will:

* Complete a site survey to determine installation options.
* Plan the installation with the customer (cabling, routing, antenna location, connection of additional devices).
* Notify the customer of any additional (non-standard) charges prior to commencement of any work.
* Expertly set up the DIRECTV System.
* Align the satellite antenna for optimal signal strength.
* Provide a hands-on DIRECTV System demonstration.

Standard Professional Installation includes:

* Mounting of your satellite dish to an outside wall, roof or eave with the necessary hardware without doing any modifications to the structure.
* Route and properly attach up to 125 ft. of RG-6 cable per receiver.
* Install hardware necessary to mount and ground your satellite antenna to meet local / National Electric Code (NEC) requirements.
* Routing of all cables to each TV (1-5 depending on the system you purchased) either through an exterior wall (frame or one layer of masonry) or from your basement and connection to an existing phone jack within 25 ft. (connection to a phone line is required for DIRECTV System activation; if two or more receiver installation, all receivers must be connected to the same phone line).
* Tuning of the satellite antenna to peak performance.
* Connection of devices to your TV and VCR, if co-located.
* Activation of your requested DIRECTV programming.
* Provide up to 20 minutes of training and instruction on the use and operation of your new DIRECTV System. Additional assistance is available via the on-screen guide and DIRECTV Tech Support.
* Warranty your installation for 90 days against defects.

If you rent your property you will need to check with your landlord about any needs of a signed installation permission form for your DirecTV installer on the day of your installation.

It's a great idea to have your landlord sign something on paper even if they tell you it's OK. (cover your butt)

Non-Standard Installation Requests:

Due to the location of your residence, structure, and line of sight issues, additional labor may be required to complete your install. The majority of installs can be completed without incurring additional costs, but specific customer requests or cabling requirements due to requested receiver locations may be completed at additional cost. Below is a list of installation tasks which are not included in a Standard DIRECTV Installation. Additional installation charges will be collected from the customer by the installer at the time of installation.

* Mounting satellite dish on a pole instead of installing it on an outside wall, roof or eave of the residence.
* Routing cables through more than one wall or fishing cables between walls.
* Trenching cable underground.
* Any additional work to hide or camouflage cables/wiring.
* Installing additional equipment not included on the work order.
* Routing any individual receiver on the work order to more than one TV (backfeed).
* Connecting system to stereo and/or other components other than a VCR.
* Boats and RVs may require additional charges if special equipment or wiring is needed.
* Installing additional phone lines.

Last edited:
That is pretty interesting.

Two of my installers have done things for free that are normally paid--running phone lines and installing the dish on a pole, burying cable.

They also gave me a total of about 1000 feet of RG6 to four DVRs.

Point is, some installers go the extra mile, and some won't even do what they are supposed to do. It is nice to know in advance what the minimum is.

Two of my installers have done things for free that are normally paid--running phone lines and installing the dish on a pole, burying cable.

Point is, some installers go the extra mile, and some won't even do what they are supposed to do. It is nice to know in advance what the minimum is.

dish on a pole was probally due to line of sight issues ??????

1000 ft of RG6 to FOUR (4) DVRs....each DVR requires 2 Feeds...125 ft x 8 = 1000 ft

nothing over there....

this is all in jest and facts so that one day i dont run into a customer who wants to beat me over the head. I do great work and expect to get paid accordingly as well as going that extra mile for alot of customers.

Yes, you guys hit the nail on the head--it is four DVRs. The quote from D* says 125 feet per receiver, though, so I thought they gave me something free.

Yes, the installer thought there was a line-of-sight issue with the AT-9. (I think it would have worked in the same place as my Phase III, but I didn't have much leeway on the western side, so I'm glad he put it where he did.)

Yes, you guys hit the nail on the head--it is four DVRs. The quote from D* says 125 feet per receiver, though, so I thought they gave me something free.

Yes, the installer thought there was a line-of-sight issue with the AT-9. (I think it would have worked in the same place as my Phase III, but I didn't have much leeway on the western side, so I'm glad he put it where he did.)
We all have our own levels of going the extra mile....This guy ran a marathon..I owuld have given you one extra mile and that's that..I'm in business to make money..This installer go this ass handed to him...Stupid him..

I currently have DIRECTV with an intl channel package and am thinking of upgrading to HD.

I have been told I will need a new satallite dish, since my current one does not do HD. I am wondering, what is included in the standard installation? I want to route the HD receiver to a room that does not currently have DTV, nor an outlet for it. Is getting a new outlet installed in 1 room included in the price? Or is that extra? Any idea of exactly how much? The wall I want the outlet installed to I believe is accessible through the attic (walkthrough, no crawling necessary, at least I dont think so). Just wanted to get an estimate before I called in to make sure I wanted to do this.

Thanks!

Here's the deal....If the extra run of coax is not on the work order you must pay the tech for the installation of that cable...All DTV receivers are designed to be fed to ONE TV....They have but one output...That includes the dual tuner DVR's...

Here's the deal....If the extra run of coax is not on the work order you must pay the tech for the installation of that cable...All DTV receivers are designed to be fed to ONE TV....They have but one output...That includes the dual tuner DVR's...

I'm a little confused as to what you are saying. The new HD receiver I am getting installed is being fed to 1 TV...It just happens that where the receiver is going, there is not a coax connection in that room. I am placing the new TV in a room where there has never been a tv previously, so I need to have them run a cable from the dish >> that room so the receiver can be plugged in, and subsequently the tv to that room.

So is this included? (I'm still thinking no...dont mind paying for it, was just wondering what to expect when the service guy comes).

Thanks!

I'm a little confused as to what you are saying. The new HD receiver I am getting installed is being fed to 1 TV...It just happens that where the receiver is going, there is not a coax connection in that room. I am placing the new TV in a room where there has never been a tv previously, so I need to have them run a cable from the dish >> that room so the receiver can be plugged in, and subsequently the tv to that room.

So is this included? (I'm still thinking no...dont mind paying for it, was just wondering what to expect when the service guy comes).

Thanks!
If you are placing your new receiver in a room where there is no cable, you may have to pay for the cabling....Check with the tech....
I was under the impression you were moving an existing receiver to a room with no cable..That you MUST pay for...

General Dish install ...

The standard install will:

Provide a AT-9/Slimline or Series III Dish
Provide cabling to receivers being installed
Provide switches such as Zinwell for new Ka band.

The above should be free of charge it was for my install as a new customer.

It doesn't cover custom jobs, that is extra. Custom being installing outlets in all rooms without having a receiver connected right away.

Unless this installer is work for the installation company and install materials are paid by the company, otherwise, its a loss deal, or loss money on this install. Dish on pole and burying cable are not part of stanard installation, its extra.

With current installation pay for independence installer, no one could offer everything free like this.

I dont understand why a pole mount is extra ? I installed my own pole prior to Directv installing my new dish and the installer wanted to charge me extra. Why ? The dish already has a coupling for a pole mount ( the dish arm ) Long story short, I bitched to Directv and they had the installer do the pole mount free. Personally, I think with the pole already there, it was easier for the tech.

I dont understand why a pole mount is extra ? I installed my own pole prior to Directv installing my new dish and the installer wanted to charge me extra. Why ? The dish already has a coupling for a pole mount ( the dish arm ) Long story short, I bitched to Directv and they had the installer do the pole mount free. Personally, I think with the pole already there, it was easier for the tech.
If I have to do the labor an provide the materials I charge for it..If the customer decides to install the pole himself, no charge...The reason for the charge is to cover the cost of materials and the additional labor..
What bugs me is some people think satellite install don't cost the tech anything..They view us as "hired help"...when charges are explained 95% of people are very understanding..the other 5% go as far as to demand we provide free additional materials and labor..That's when use this anaolgy...I ask the cust if they work for a living...Then I tell them for a moment pretend I am your boss..I come to you desk and tell you I want to you work two extra hours but I am not going to pay you..That usually gets the message across..If thr cusomer contiues to insist, I tell them I will be ahppy to complete the work order as is..If they want additional services added, they can call DTV while I am there, in which case they will charge them for labor anyway..So I'll get it one way or another..
This may sound arrogant to some but ask me if I care..I operate as a For Profit Oragnization.....in other words, if I work I get paid...Period......

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Can you have $100 credit (new cust) applied to account?

In need of some help...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)