What is HMO?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Barney

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
Kyle in Republic of Texas
I've been seeing HMO used in discussions on D* DVR's.....I looked in glossary, nothing......what does HMO stand for?....jokes is fine, but still would like to know what this is.

Barney

Thanks Charper1,
I'm not familiar with replaytv or DVR's. My last upgrade was HD....I noticed in your equipment list RX-Z9....what a beast that is.
I can see a use for a HD-DVR in my very near future....with D* upgrading & having a 5yr old.........keeps me from the "tube" alot.
When I ran a search for HMO, that site was one of the suggestions...just wasn't sure.

HMO stands for Home Media Option and this is a DVR feature that has these features below.

1. It can allow you to network it with your computer to playback music, pictures and video from your computer.

2. It can allow you to share recorded shows from DVR to DVR so for example say you have 3 DirecTV DVRs with this ability you can record a show on box A and play it back in another room on box B and/or C. The easy name to call this would be multiroom viewing.

This is being talked about because DirecTv still hasn't offered HMO on their Tivo DVRs and with that said things are getting close to changing on this front. Also to make you aware this ability is available currently on Tivos and ReplayTV units (DirecTivos or DirecTV DVRs don't have this ability so don't think that a DirecTV DVR is the same as a Tivo because they are different products with different prices and features). Also Voom is soon to be lauching their HD DVR model that has multiroom viewing ability built-in without the need for a wireless network to be setup. Vooms system uses the existing cables that Voom needs for its TV service. Also Scientific Atlanta will start to offer multiroom viewing software for their Explorer 8300 series DVRs and hopefully cable companies will enbrace this technology to help us all out. Also the cable MRV features will also use existing cable wiring but they have the added benefit of allowing all other explorer boxes (IE explorer 2000 series non DVR boxes and newer) to playback shows from the 8300 DVR.

So cable could have an advantage in that if a customer has three rooms with three digital boxes they could swap out just one box with a 8300 DVR and their other rooms with just a plain digital box (no DVR) can playback with full FF, RW and pause ability from the 8300 DVR.

Hope I didn't get too complex for ya but this next year is going to be a groundbreaking year on these types of fronts and I can't wait to see whats coming along with some of the stuff I know is coming but can't say right now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

A couple of issues: 1 DirecTV and 1 OTA

More HBO Channels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts