What do I need to be able to use my Voom dish for Voom Originals of Dish Network?

T2k

The Raw Nerve
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 5, 2004
Park Slope, NYC
What else do I need to be able to use my Voom dish setup for Voom10 of Dish Network?

I just bought a brand spanking new Dish 6000 (w/8VSP, 8SPK, DishPro Adapter) from eBay, it comes with yellow card.

What else do I need to be able to:

1.) convert my Voom dish to be able to receive Voom Originals on Dish?

2.) convert my wiring by the same purpose: since I have a 3-room Voom setup, it currently works via 3 wires to the 3 STBs, each wire carries both the sat AND OTA signals to my rooms, so I guess I already have some channel mixer somewhere on the roof (small, 3-story building, I'm on the first)...

3.) if 1. and 2. can't be work out together - I doubt it -or would be too expensive (compared to run dedicated OTA cable to each Voom STB), what's the best setup?
Correct me if I'm wrong but if Voom's dish can be used with my Dish 6000 as it is now (or with a new LNB, worst case scenario), then I don't need anything else than disconnect the cable between Voom's dish and the current mixer/switcher, so OTAs will work in all Voom STBs and simply run a new cable from Voom's dish to my new 6000 STb, right?

Thanks for the help!

PS: How difficult is a possible LNB replacement? I'm originally a system engineer (IT/CS), so I have plenty of hw install experience from my past, also I did build my own, typically small computer accessories (during the late 80/early 90s) based on already available ASIC schematics... is there any magic involved in sat install? :D Since these twenty-something old installer guys can do it within half an hour, I hope I can finish during next Saturday... :)

Voom Dish For Echostar

Here is what you will need
nothing if you just want the voom originals,
If you want some dish programming , you will need a dish 500 with a Legacy twin
and a dish network sw 21
aim the dish 500 and use the switch 21 to go between the existing voom dish and your model 6000
do a check switch and you should be good to go

Your ota antenna is it amplified of non amplified may make a difference on connections?

So if I want to expand my Voom-only Dish lineup later (like full HDpack or Mega Movie Pack), what should I buy then?
- a Dish dish :D (why this particular 500 modell? :))
- a Dish LNB (which one? is there any modell#?)
- a switch (why this 21 modell? :))

If there are options, I usually buy something more future-proof if the price difference is reasonable...

OTA: I have no idea. :) It's too dark to go up to the roof, I'm not sure but the Voom STB also has dedicated input IIRC (maybe not)... I guess it's powered (not sure.)

T2K, you do not need a Dish 500. A plain, old 18" legacy dish from any of the providers will work. Run a coax from each dish to the switch then go into your install menu and do a check switch, it should see both satellite locations, each with an even/odd side. At that point, you're good to go. You will want the Dish HD Pack, there is nothing like Monday nights on HDNET, "Guys Night In".

DarrellP said:
T2K, you do not need a Dish 500. A plain, old 18" legacy dish from any of the providers will work. Run a coax from each dish to the switch then go into your install menu and do a check switch, it should see both satellite locations, each with an even/odd side. At that point, you're good to go. You will want the Dish HD Pack, there is nothing like Monday nights on HDNET, "Guys Night In".
Yes what DarrellP said he is a wise man... guys night in rocks

I got E* installed last week and still have my VOOM dish. E* installed a Dish500 with a DPPlus LNB connected directly to 2 receivers.
What should I buy?

T2K:

Read this: [thread=66374]Instructions for Adding the 61.5 - PLEASE READ![/thread]

Then dig into the tech support sections of http://www.dishnetwork.com

You can handle the tech - the biggest "non-obvious" issue is Legacy vs. DishPro.

Legacy is similar tech to D* and V* gear. DishPro uses a form of band-stacking that makes switching easier.

Switching:
  • Legacy: One set of transponders on an LNBF feed at a time (a satellite has 2 - odd & even). 950-1450MHz.
  • DishPro: Both TP sets are on the feed at the same time - odd on 950-1450MHz, even on 1650-2150MHz.
For a Legacy multi-switch to work, it needs TWO feeds from each bird - so it has them available to send to the requesting receiver.

61.5 Transponder 1

Using Voom dish with a 921 DVR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)