VIP722K AUDIO PROBLEM

caschenbeck

Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
Schulenburg, Texas
I have a Philips TV model 52PFL7422D/37 and just installed HDTV with DISH NETWORK using the VIP722k DVR. I lose audio on the SD channels after switching between SD and HD channels. Resetting or powering down the DVR
does not bring back audio. Powering off the TV brings back audio to SD until
you again switch between SD and HD. I have tried all three HMDI inputs on the TV.

It sounds like a handshake problem between the TV and the receiver. Have you tried changing the HDMI cable? If you have the same problem after changing the cable, it's the probably the receiver.

switch to component cables. you get just as good picture but no issues with HDCP or whatever it's called.
As a blanket statement this is simply not correct. Depending on TV and viewing conditions there may well be a deterioration of picture quality when using component vs HDMI. "HDCP or whatever it's called" (lol) likely is not the issue if HD works and SD doesn't.

Welcome to satellite guys caschenbeck!

Concerning your audio problem on SD channels, apparently the dish vip receivers, especially the 622 and 722 series have a problem with the HDMI handshake. This is what Pioneer told me. I had the problem with my vip622 and my Pioneer 1019 unit and until Pioneer came out with a fix for that and another quirk I used a HDMI cable and then hooked up a digital audio cable and assigned it to the sat and set my audio to Digital. Or you can run the HDMI directly to the tv from the vip722 and have the digital audio cable hooked up from the vip722 to the tv and assign it to the satellite setting and have audio on Digital.
This worked very well for me.
Of course that will work only if you have a coaxial or optical output on you tv and an input on the receiver if you are using one.

I also was experiencing the sound loss on my SD channels and this was on the 1st day of our connection with DishNetwork on HD. Boy where we hot! They replaced the receiver with another 722k problem followed. Used different HDMI port on Philips TV problem still there. Next tech comes out and finally says we have seen this before on the Philips TV's. Swap to component cables and problem will go away and it did but we thought we could see a difference in the picture quality so we got a MONSTER HDMI cable and the problem so far has been put to rest.

The shame of it is it took 4 different tech visits to come up with the solution. Do people not communicate any longer. How is it that none of the others where aware of the issue of HDMI Handshake?

We where ready to say sorry Dish you can't fix this issue we will see if Direct can.

NHL fans dont hold your breath.

GT Sat LNB

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)