VIP221 and VIP221k differences?

upsss

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
AZ
What are the differences between a VIP221 and VIP221k receivers? Do I need a smart card to use either one?

If the smart card isn't built in, and some have them that way, you will need smart cards to make either work.

My understanding is, the 221 needs a card, the 211K is internal. The K is slightly smaller.

Thanks, both have a slot for a card. If I need a card, what is the cost?

Never heard of either a 221 or 221/k. If you're referring to the 222/k, then they're dual tuner receivers with a single OTA tuner (non k) or a hole in the back for the MTA dual-tuner OTA module. If you're referring to the 211 and 211/k, then they're both single satellite tuner receivers wiht a single OTA tuner built-in. The 211k is smaller and black.

Never heard of either a 221 or 221/k. If you're referring to the 222/k, then they're dual tuner receivers with a single OTA tuner (non k) or a hole in the back for the MTA dual-tuner OTA module. If you're referring to the 211 and 211/k, then they're both single satellite tuner receivers wiht a single OTA tuner built-in. The 211k is smaller and black.

Thank you, I was confused about what receivers everyone was talking about! Then I thought I might just be going crazy. :)

I am sorry, I meant 211 and 211k! So what about the smart card, do I need it?

I am sorry, I meant 211 and 211k! So what about the smart card, do I need it?

yes you need a smart card for both. But some are built in on the motherboard, whereas some units are a slide in card

Easiest way to know is after its hooked up (or if you are buying from ebay/cl etc) get the R & S#. If the S# starts S19 you're fine. If not then you need new card

Neither of them have the smart card (both have a slot). Is there a way to know if either has a built in card? How much is a new card if I need it?

I'll repeat what I wrote above

Easiest way to know is after its hooked up (or if you are buying from ebay/cl etc) get the R & S#. If the S# starts S19 you're fine. If not then you need new card

If you're referring to the 211 and 211/k, then they're both single satellite tuner receivers wiht a single OTA tuner built-in. The 211k is smaller and black.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just about no difference between the two. They'll get you the same channels, but as mentioned, the 211k is black, and much smaller than the 211 (regular 211 is silver).

211k's have an embedded smart card (chip), 211's can have external or internal smart cards. As Iceberg mentioned, when you check the receiver and SC numbers, the newest generation of SC's (G3) will start with S19

If the receiver is not sold with a card, how do I find the S#?

If you're able to hook it up, press menu twice and it will have the smart card number listed in the system info screen. If you're buying it online, ask for the receiver and smart card numbers. If the receiver is coming from us, it will have a new SC, if it does not have a new SC, one can be ordered.

OK, I have a Dish account with a Vip722 receive. If I get a VIP211 receiver without a smart card, how much would it cost me to add and activate this receiver?

OK, I have a Dish account with a Vip722 receive. If I get a VIP211 receiver without a smart card, how much would it cost me to add and activate this receiver?

PM Matt, for crying out loud. He'll set you straight, one way or the other.

HD to SD?

Remote Control Problem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)