Very small screen on some channels

Steve_in_FL

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
Central Florida
I know this has been discussed here but I never read a solution. So on my H3 I have 2 channels, Grit and Cozy that used to be full screen but suddenly both have reduced screens, Grit went to bars on each side and top and bottom. Cozy went to bars on each side with the screen very narrow making the images look stretched tall and thin.

All other channels are perfect, I know I can set zoom or stretch but when I change channels I have to reset.

Is there any solution for this with Dish H3 ?

20240824_102306-EDIT.jpg

20240824_102209-EDIT.jpg

They are doing that or something similar: "All other channels are perfect, I know I can set zoom or stretch but when I change channels I have to reset".

The problem is it effects ALL SD channels and has to be reset when you go to a channel that is not improperly formatted. If the channel was properly formatted by the provider (dish or the channel) it would not be a hassle.

If I remember correctly...the star on the remote control will fix that
You can program it to fix that by holding it down and choosing Screen Control Options but it's not set by default

When you set an SD Channel to Zoom or Partial Zoom to fill the screen (Options, #6 Format Screen or whatever it's called), in the past it stuck but now on the Hopper 3 and Hopper Duo you have to reset it everytime you tune to that channel.
Just son;t use the TV remote to change the screen formatting. It should be set to full or 16:9

You can program it to fix that by holding it down and choosing Screen Control Options but it's not set by default

When you set an SD Channel to Zoom or Partial Zoom to fill the screen (Options, #6 Format Screen or whatever it's called), in the past it stuck but now on the Hopper 3 and Hopper Duo you have to reset it everytime you tune to that channel.
Just son;t use the TV remote to change the screen formatting. It should be set to full or 16:9
My 54.3 remote doesn't have a star button but you got me thinking, I press and held the double diamond button and changed it from record to format function. So now, as you say, I can easily change it to stretch, which looks decent.

You're right also in that when I change channels I have to change the format again but it's easy enough with just needing to press the dbl diamond and not go through the settings menu. And yes, I leave the TV format set to 16:9.

I would prefer Dish to get it to work automatically but I can live with this solution, thanks for all the help !

My 54.3 remote doesn't have a star button but you got me thinking, I press and held the double diamond button and changed it from record to format function. So now, as you say, I can easily change it to stretch, which looks decent.

You're right also in that when I change channels I have to change the format again but it's easy enough with just needing to press the dbl diamond and not go through the settings menu. And yes, I leave the TV format set to 16:9.

I would prefer Dish to get it to work automatically but I can live with this solution, thanks for all the help !
I'm dumb I meant Diamond, not Star.
It used to work all the time but they changed it and I have no idea why

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have a 54.0 remote for my Hopper 3 and Joey 3. If you go to Home on the Dish Menu and then go to Settings, then Remote, you will see the option to set the single diamond button to Format. It is that simple!

Then when you go to Cozi, simply press the diamond to change the format to Stretched. Other channels such as Grit and TV Land work best in Zoom.

I love the format on Cozi. If you set the format to Stretch, everything looks correct in that 4:3 programs are in 4:3 and 16:9 programs and ads are in 16:9. I love it that way as it displays everything in the same format as HD channels do.

On other SD channels, like TV Land, your have to use Zoom format setting to get 4:3 programs to display in full 4:3. But then 16:9 ads or programs are zoomed too large. So you really have to change the format setting based on what type of program you are watching.

If Dish Network broadcast all of the SD channels like Cozi, it would be perfect to watch all SD channels with format set to Stretch format and everything would display correctly.

I should add that you also just leave your TV format to "Full" and you should not have to monkey with the TV format at all.

I don't see any format selection in the diamond setting for my Joey 4. Haven't checked the Hopper Plus yet. Wife is watching an app.
On the Hopper Plus, the Zoom/Stretch, etc options are gone as it's Android TV so hopefully there is a workaround for the Hopper Plus. For the Joey 4, if it's also a Android TV device, that's the reason. I don't know my Joey models. LOL.

I have a 54.0 remote for my Hopper 3 and Joey 3. If you go to Home on the Dish Menu and then go to Settings, then Remote, you will see the option to set the single diamond button to Format. It is that simple!

Then when you go to Cozi, simply press the diamond to change the format to Stretched. Other channels such as Grit and TV Land work best in Zoom.

I love the format on Cozi. If you set the format to Stretch, everything looks correct in that 4:3 programs are in 4:3 and 16:9 programs and ads are in 16:9. I love it that way as it displays everything in the same format as HD channels do.

On other SD channels, like TV Land, your have to use Zoom format setting to get 4:3 programs to display in full 4:3. But then 16:9 ads or programs are zoomed too large. So you really have to change the format setting based on what type of program you are watching.

If Dish Network broadcast all of the SD channels like Cozi, it would be perfect to watch all SD channels with format set to Stretch format and everything would display correctly.

I should add that you also just leave your TV format to "Full" and you should not have to monkey with the TV format at all.
You can just hold down the single or double diamond buttons and the menu to program them pops up

What's going on with Showtime/Paramount?

Oversized HDMI screen