UVerse to Dish

Stars75238

Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
Dallas
I have an installation scheduled for later in January and have been reading some information that makes me rethink the installation. I have read that the units are random;ly rebooting for updates, not set time of day just it does it when it feels it needs to regardless of what the user is doing. I have also read that the Joeys have a degraded picture because of RF modulater, these are external i think rather then directly plugged into the tv. I have also read that there are times when shows are recorded and then disappear.

My question is are these true facts or one off issues and what do I need to look out for; seems the other forums have more complaining instead of discussion so I am not loooking there for advice.

All help would be appreciated,

Micahel

Last edited:
I have an installation scheduled for later in January and have been reading some information that makes me rethink the installation. I have read that the units are random;ly rebooting for updates, not set time of day just it does it when it feels it needs to regardless of what the user is doing.

Not true. Updates occur nightly at 1AM.

I have also read that the Joeys have a degraded picture because of RF modulater, these are external i think rather then directly plugged into the tv.

An RF modulator does not put out HD. Yes they are external. Joeys have HDMI and composite outputs. See http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/286157-Mirror-a-Joey-to-2-TVs

I have also read that there are times when shows are recorded and then disappear.

This problem was reported some time ago but no none has reported this with the latest software.

My question is are these true facts or one off issues and what do I need to look out for; seems the other forums have more complaining instead of discussion so I am not loooking there for advice.

All heko would be appreciated,

Micahel

See my comments in RED.

Last edited:
Ok that makes sense. I would be using the HDMI connections to each of the TVs so that eliminates that issue.

It seems that since I am having 4 tvs that the thing I need to do is get two hoppers and two joeys. It would seem that these can see each other so does that mean that the programming from one can be viewed on the other? Is this possible to do if I have one hopper and then 3 additional joeys for the other TVs for the total of 4; that is what they have me scheduled for installation. One nice thing from ATT is that they wired the house for ethernet so there is an network jack right next to the coax jack, which when they were doing the install I asked them to leave in place.

So do I need to change to 2h/2j or is my 1h/3j sufficient for the 4 TVs?

Everything about Dish is a LOT better than U-verse. I couldn't wait to get back on Dish when I had U-verse.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

So do I need to change to 2h/2j or is my 1h/3j sufficient for the 4 TVs?

would depend on how many people are in you household...the hopper only has 3 tuners so if you wanted to watch your 4 TV's independently you really should go with 2 hoppers and 2 joeys....if it is just 2 people you probably could get away with only one hopper and 3 joeys.

Last edited:
There are 7 people and currently barely two TVs are on at a time. We either stream through Roku or watch a recorded show, not too often live TV. One other thing is that as long as I can remember we have NEVER had all 4 on at one time and therefore never 4 live shows or recordings. I'll ask the family but I think we will be ok if we have that limit of 3 different shows concurrently.

It took me almost 4 months to finally have ATT come out and wire the house for ethernet. The tech told me the first people that came out did it wrong and they were going to charge me $400 to fix it; I let them do the work and signed for the wiring cost and then called up ATT and explained to them that they were charging me for an error that they had created and that I should not have to pay for the fix. They waived the cost but I figured get the work done first before something else would be ofered instead of the whole rewire.

Why are you glad to be off ATT and back on Dish? I left Dish about 3 years ago when they lost Fox Sports. On the average each member watches about 6 hours of TV a week, I am the worst since I watch hockey (when they decide to play) or basketball. If you can tell me what it was, when I left Dish there was only the dual receiver so the other TVs had nothing.

There are 7 people and currently barely two TVs are on at a time. We either stream through Roku or watch a recorded show, not too often live TV. One other thing is that as long as I can remember we have NEVER had all 4 on at one time and therefore never 4 live shows or recordings. I'll ask the family but I think we will be ok if we have that limit of 3 different shows concurrently.

There has been much discussion on this forum about 1H/3J and the limit of 3 tuners. Most say that it's an unworkable configuration since you can only watch 3 different live programs which leaves one TV without a separate live feed. I watch very little live but would miss a tuner for channel hopping. It all depends on your viewing habits.

Having 2 Hoppers complicates use slightly since each must be programmed with separate timers to distribute tuner usage. Joeys are "connected" to one Hopper at a time and if all it's tuners are available or the recorded program is on the "other" Hopper, you must connect to the second Hopper. Most posters have not found this to be an issue but it does take some planning.

Based on what you say above, you will probably be OK with 1H/3J but consider the monthly cost will be the same with 2H/2J. The second Hopper will cost more up front. You should probably PM a DIRT member (users in red at the bottom of the main Forum page) and discuss options/costs.

Hopper playback choppy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts