Upgrade to hopper 3?

CLASSICDIRECTV

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 19, 2022
Shreveport Louisiana USA
So my grandpa finally got dish 7 months ago but here’s the problem, when we signed up they asked if he had internet and if he wanted it, he said no and no. But the point is, when the installer came he brought a hopper 2000 and Joey 2’s (3 room install) I had plugged in and set everything up (he activated them) and then I asked him why they gave us a hopper 2000 and not a hopper 2, and he said he had no idea. So what I’m asking is why did they give us a hopper 2000 and is there a possibility to get an upgrade? And if so how much would it cost to get a hopper 2/3 and how much more a month it will be

So my grandpa finally got dish 7 months ago but here’s the problem, when we signed up they asked if he had internet and if he wanted it, he said no and no. But the point is, when the installer came he brought a hopper 2000 and Joey 2’s (3 room install) I had plugged in and set everything up (he activated them) and then I asked him why they gave us a hopper 2000 and not a hopper 2, and he said he had no idea. So what I’m asking is why did they give us a hopper 2000 and is there a possibility to get an upgrade? And if so how much would it cost to get a hopper 2/3 and how much more a month it will be
we quit installing hopper 2000s a little while back. I can't remember exactly when but he may of gotten installed right before they quit. But usually the only people that got hopper2000s in the last 8 years is because you have bad credit and are on what's called a flex account meaning you pay in advance. It was possible but rare that someone with good credit and a regular post pay account got a hopper 2000.

As far as upgrades if it is actually a flex account you may get a free uograde to hopper2 but a hopper3 will probably cost you up front. If it's not a flex account you can probably get them to give you free uograde to hopper3. Regardless of which model you get the monthly bill will remain the same. Just a tip, threatening to cancel usually gets you better results while negotiating.

Is a Hopper 2000 the original one? Like it has the Blockbuster logo on the front, bottom right? I had a Hopper like that for the last 11 years and upgraded to the Hopper 3. My monthly hardware fee (for the Hopper 3 and 2 Joeys) is actually $2 less per month compared to the old Hopper.

I had also asked for a discount on the Top200 package so had to sign a 2 year contract to get a cheaper price and Hopper 3 for free. Since your grandpa just got this 7 months and he had no idea about which Hopper to get, can use that story to get a free upgrade to the Hopper 3 and add in there that you would rather be a long-term customer rather than cancelling everything.

Hopper 3 is fantastic btw - so fast!

Yes that was the original hopper. Then the Hopper with Sling came out and you could hook a super joey up and get two more tuners for recording. The hopper 3 has all the tuners and is fast. But the fee is at $15.00 a month and that is before you factor in the $7.00 additional receiver fees for the joeys. This is where they get too expensive for me.

Reactions: charlesrshell
we quit installing hopper 2000s a little while back. I can't remember exactly when but he may of gotten installed right before they quit. But usually the only people that got hopper2000s in the last 8 years is because you have bad credit and are on what's called a flex account meaning you pay in advance. It was possible but rare that someone with good credit and a regular post pay account got a hopper 2000.

As far as upgrades if it is actually a flex account you may get a free uograde to hopper2 but a hopper3 will probably cost you up front. If it's not a flex account you can probably get them to give you free uograde to hopper3. Regardless of which model you get the monthly bill will remain the same. Just a tip, threatening to cancel usually gets you better results while negotiating.
He has a normal account

Is a Hopper 2000 the original one? Like it has the Blockbuster logo on the front, bottom right? I had a Hopper like that for the last 11 years and upgraded to the Hopper 3. My monthly hardware fee (for the Hopper 3 and 2 Joeys) is actually $2 less per month compared to the old Hopper.

I had also asked for a discount on the Top200 package so had to sign a 2 year contract to get a cheaper price and Hopper 3 for free. Since your grandpa just got this 7 months and he had no idea about which Hopper to get, can use that story to get a free upgrade to the Hopper 3 and add in there that you would rather be a long-term customer rather than cancelling everything.

Hopper 3 is fantastic btw - so fast!
It is a hopper 2000 and has the dish logo with the swoosh but whats strange is that it has an HDTV logo instead of the blockbuster one

When i attempt to get him the upgrade, do we have to send back the hopper 2000? Im asking because we just removed one of our 3 joeys as it was uneeded, and he is 74 so he would get confused why he needs ti send another receiver back, also when swapping the hoppers out would i need to go online to activate it?

When i attempt to get him the upgrade, do we have to send back the hopper 2000? Im asking because we just removed one of our 3 joeys as it was uneeded, and he is 74 so he would get confused why he needs ti send another receiver back, also when swapping the hoppers out would i need to go online to activate it?
I'm pretty sure dish doesn't need them back, but your tech will take care of all that anyways. Most likely will take the old hopper whether dish wants it or not. Some offices say to bring back everything leased whether dish wants it back or not.

If worst comes to worst he can buy a hopper 3 from solid signal depending on. The Joey's those might need to be swapped out as well since the Hopper 3 works with certain Joey's. Slap on the protection plan and get them to install it

If worst comes to worst he can buy a hopper 3 from solid signal depending on. The Joey's those might need to be swapped out as well since the Hopper 3 works with certain Joey's. Slap on the protection plan and get them to install it
Hopper 3 will work with every Joey. Joey 1s are extremely slow and are not recommended. Joey 2 is a little bit better and works without failure. Joey 3, and 4K Joey are outstanding, speed wise. I personally have a 2, 3, and 4K Joey operating on my Hopper 3.

J1's will not work on H3's...from a DISH install doc June 2018

Attachments

• HopJoe install guide June 2018.png
    HopJoe install guide June 2018.png
    84 KB · Views: 34

No DVR during storm!