Upgrade Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

scottc98

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
Columbus, OH
I've got a Fortec 80cm dish from Sadoun that I am thinking about upgrading. I've got a few questions:

1) can dishes be exchanged with Sadoun
(even for a restocking fee/ dimished value)?

2) If I upgraded to the Fortec 90cm, does it use the same brackets and LNB arm (Essentially, on a pure installation basis, can I just swap out the dish sheild portion without having to take down everything and re-allign later)?

Trying to find a cose effective way to upgrade and improve signal strength.

Thanks!

scottc98 said:
I've got a Fortec 80cm dish from Sadoun that I am thinking about upgrading. I've got a few questions:

call them or PM Sadoun

2) If I upgraded to the Fortec 90cm, does it use the same brackets and LNB arm (Essentially, on a pure installation basis, can I just swap out the dish sheild portion without having to take down everything and re-allign later)?

NO! They are totally different setups (brackets, arm, etc). The focal distance is different. All you can keep up there is the pole

Here are some differences

(Brackets for 90cm)
the arm with the holder is the 90cm..the other is 80cm
difference in dish size

Attachments

• 36 with brackets.JPG
    36 with brackets.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 160
  • 36 with brackets closeup.JPG
    36 with brackets closeup.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 144
  • IM000129.JPG
    IM000129.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 137
  • IM000131.JPG
    IM000131.JPG
    182.3 KB · Views: 160
Thanks for the reply Ice!

If I have to re-align my current setup then I might as well upgrade to a 1m to 1.2m. Wife is definately not going to like this but maybe I can sell/trade some of my current stuff to cut the cost.

Thanks!

scottc98 said:

Trying to find a cose effective way to upgrade and improve signal strength.

Thanks!

No, unfortunately you can't exchange your dish. I bought an 80cm also and wanted to exchange a couple days after purchasing. They told me all dish sales are final.

scottc
sell it here...somebody will buy it (or do what I did and save on shipping and sell it locally)

Theres a real old thread where one member bought 3 1.2 meter dishes and was offering them locally , had I known that back then, I definitely would have driven 40 minutes to save on the shipping.

The fact you live in Ohio doesn't help your cause to much, how far are you from Columbus.

Trying the local route first. Sent a few email out to some local friends and seeing what comes back first. Plus, i've been talking to a couple of co-workers about FTA and I might get them in the game. Then, i'll just unload it on them.

just easier that way. Otherwise I'll be posting them here.

I am most likely going to sell the channel master dish. Its great for a dish/dtv setup but just not positive on the KU linear side of things (in comparison to the 80cm I already have). I don't see myself leaving cable anytime soon (need HS internet and money is not going to go to SBC) so I could probably part with it.

On the otherhand I may have to set it up just to get G10 as I just can't seem to get it where the 80cm motorized is located (increase size may help where its at or raising the pole).

IF the c/ku feedhorn gets resolved then I'll jump at the 120cm.

Scott

Since you are so close, and if you have the room and budget for a BIG dish, get the 120cm dish. :D

The 120cm dish may have some potential for C-band (the strong signals) & KU band reception.

Yeah...just a short drive to Sadoun. The 120cm would be the way to go but just not in the budget quite yet. Plus, I still want to hold out on C/KU LNB first before I jump. I know that I won't be able to go larger where my house is located.

scottc98 said:
Thanks for the reply Ice!

If I have to re-align my current setup then I might as well upgrade to a 1m to 1.2m. Wife is definately not going to like this but maybe I can sell/trade some of my current stuff to cut the cost.

Thanks!

1m to 1.2m , now you are thinking ! :)

Wyr

scottc98 said:
Yeah...just a short drive to Sadoun. The 120cm would be the way to go but just not in the budget quite yet. Plus, I still want to hold out on C/KU LNB first before I jump. I know that I won't be able to go larger where my house is located.

Go scrounging for a 10' C Band dish , if you are going to try C Band . Tell tale sign is a house that also has 18" dish or dishes on it . :)

Wyr

WyrTwister said:
Go scrounging for a 10' C Band dish , if you are going to try C Band . Tell tale sign is a house that also has 18" dish or dishes on it . :)

Wyr

I would love a 10 footer!!!!!!

Unfortunatly, I'd have to mount it on the roof and I refuse to do that. Front of the house points south. I may be able to put a 6-8 footer in the corner of my back yard to get a few sats, but would take up too much room in the back yard (nor do I think its possible with the neighbors house and trees)

NO hoa but even I care about how it looks and the amount of room it will take up.

A 120cm is mountable on the roof and can use H to H motors. Thats just more realistic for me.

If I had some land or if my house was rotated 180 degrees, then i'd be in business. Then I could place the dish really close to the house (saving backyard space), able to clear neighbors, and landscape around it to mesh it into the backyard.

WyrTwister said:

Wyr
Another tell-tale sign is when the dish is pointed at the ground, or toward, say, the northeast :D

Tron said:
Another tell-tale sign is when the dish is pointed at the ground, or toward, say, the northeast :D

There is a church near by that has one on the roof , pointing in the general direction of north .

The inportant word is roof . Not that adventurious .

Wyr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Paraclipse Dish ?

Re-flash a dead box

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)