Unsure about MPEG4 changes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hotrod Lincoln

Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
My first post- apologies in advance. Curr. have D* Tot Ch in SD, no prem's, have an Aquos 37" LCD, frugal so waiting to go HD til D*MPEG4 in ops to avoid repurchase of HD DVR hdwe. Any info on how they'll upgrade user's HD hdwe when MPEG4 is in use? I've considered switching to E* w/HD(MPEG2) now, since it will still look better than current SD, and I think E* will have to go M4 after D* does? And their M4 hdwe might just be a swap or nominal upcharge. Your comments?

Welcome! There is alot underway at both Directv and Dish to migrate to all HD via MPEG4. See the Dish forum to see all the changes coming forward. My belief is this. How important is DVR features and getting Locals in HD either by satellite or with an over the air antenna.

What is your market and how long are you willing to wait or need an HD DVR? If you dont want an HD DVR, then both Directv or Dish have the MPEG4 receivers and new packages to accomodate HD users. If you need your locals over satellite, then you need to determine which provider has them. Directv will have all by the end of 2007 but only a select by end of 2006. Dish I think is more focused on national channels and will only be doing the major markets in the near future.

The Dish HD DVR with MPEG4 should be readily available by April and Directv's wont be out until at least June. So that decision is based on how quickly do you want an HD DVR. There are feature differences but essentially record HD and SD programs. If I was on the fence, I would wait till the new HD hardware is available based on the question answered above to guide you to the right provider.

Last edited:
Weighing choices, D* vs E*

" ...My belief is this. How important is DVR features and getting Locals in HD either by satellite or with an over the air antenna."
Thanks for the reply- I did try OTA reception with an indooor antenna from R.S.- worthless. A good article in CE Pro magazine covered proper setup of roofmount one in Hollywood/L.A. (my area); took work and equipt., but ultimately worth it.
"What is your market and how long are you willing to wait or need an HD DVR?"
In Hollywood, and can wait for a better deal, if to be had. Mostly weighing differences
between D* policy of making you purch. expensive HD hdwe., vs E* of 1-time fee +monthly. Thanks again for your reply.

If you can get OTA HD then it matters how much HD do you want? Dish has more right now (ignore the HD Lite comments) than D*. At some point I think D* will have more but I think Dish is gonna rule HD in 2006 with the new MPEG receivers coming out next month. So if OTA is covered, I recommend Dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

No RSN with TC+?

need some advice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts