trying to figure out new install layout

engdork

Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 3, 2005
Denver, Colorado
First sorry about the length…
We have recently moved into a new house, which had cable before. We can use very little of the cable due to the house not being wired to feed more than one location in the house. The house is stucco and has a basement. I have had D* before and I think that I will be going back to them even though I am considering switching to E* due to some of the posts that I have read on this site. I understand that there are some programming differences, but it there really a difference in HDTV quality between the two? :confused:
I called D* and asked about the movers special, they told me that they would provide a new dish when the installer came out to install the dish – here is my problem. I would rather install my own dish so I can ensure that it is done the way I want and run the wires the way the I want (just kinda of picky about this stuff). D* will not provide me with just a dish they have to provide it with an install. I have always installed my own dish, but now we are upgrading to HDTV so I will have more feeds and I am trying to get it worked out before I start out on this project.
So I am thinking about just buying a dish myself, is there any difference between dish manufactures? I have seen Terk, KTI, etc. :confused:
It seems that most of these dishes come with a built in switch. We are also upgrading to HDTV and a DVR in the ‘TV’ room now (others later). There will be four receivers in different rooms through out the house, (one at first with HDTV and a DVR, the others will be upgraded in the future). Since I am going to have to run some RG6 are does anyone have any ideas on what I should do now so I might not have to run more feeds in the future? Should I use something other than RG6, is there something better than really makes a difference?
I was thinking about running the feed from the dish to basement and then making my runs from there to each receiver since each needs it own feed.
I was thinking of running two lines to each receiver locations for future HDTV expansion, is this a good idea?
If I put a switch in the basement can I keep the number of feeds coming off the dish to a minimum or will I have to feed each receiver from the dish itself so I shouldn’t bother running it to the basement?

In advance thanks for your time and help,
Tom

welcome to the site.

it seems like you have it thought out pretty well. you could run the cable before the installer came out and tell him to use the cables you installed. all he would do is install the dish and connect the wires. you could go the way of buying your own dish. you would need directvs three lnb dish if you went with them. you could check value electronics (link at top of page) or ebay.

and yes, i recommend running everything to the basement, then run lines up to your dish location...
if you are wanting to run it before the installer gets there, i recommend at least 5 lines to the roof (or where ever you want the dish) that leaves four for the dish to use, and one for OTA (in case you do switch to Dish, you will be able to hook up up to four satellite locations that way, cause with the HD you will at least need 3

then i would run two lines to each receiver location (maybe 3 at the main HD receiver location) just in case....
i would run all you can now while you are doing it, it is usually easier than doing it later

Just received my Cox MT6412...need help!

bright house tampa hd special event channel

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)