tivo over stacked (mdu) signal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bigdog01

Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
I have recently moved into an apartment that has direct tv running to all apts. I would like to know how I can get my tivo receiver to detect the signal that they provide. I can get it to work with my regular receivers but can I with tivo?

If you have a regular Tivo just select DirecTV as your provider. If it is a DirecTivo there should be no issue, other than managing your dual tuners. Is there something were missing here in your question?

There is at least one receiver that I know of (The Sony B55, IIRC) that has a built in destacker. Most don't, including TiVos. So you'd need to buy a destacker to break the signal out into odd/even signals.

The problem is, your D-Tivo will NOT work on stacked LNB signals! (the other receivers do, because they evidently have "wideband" tuners, which the D-Tivo does NOT - most non-DVR receivers made in the past couple yearts DO wideband, although you have to enable it through the menu)
You are going to get a couple of destackers & a wideband splitter - you would split the incoming signal, then run each side of the splitter to a stacker, which then goes to each sat input of your D-Tivo.

In the stacked or L-band system, the even numbered transponders are shifted to a different frequency. This allows for a single cable solution that can be split with high frequency splitters rather then dual cable with multi-switches. There are a number of receivers that have the destacking unit built into them. The G and H series from Hughes is the first that come to mind. Unfortunately, the DirecTivo units that I have worked with do not have this technology built in. You will need to find a destacking unit:

http://www.sonoradesign.com/catalogPages/catalog_11.html (d575)

You might check with your complexes office to see if they have any available, find who the provider is, eBay, etc.

Your configuration thereafter would be to use a high frequency (5-2000 MHz) splitter to split the line, half to the +13 side of a multi-switch, the other half to the destacker, then to the +18 side of the multiswitch. You will then have enough ports for your DTivo, with two to spare.

Edit: I was working on my post the same time as dishrich. His solution will work too and I didn't intend to contradict him. However the solution I listed will cost less.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NY Locals Distants

To Give and Take Away!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)