Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
You think your new graphics card is HDCP complaint and will be able to play Blu-ray or HD DVD movies in full resolution? Think again! According to the article posted by firingsquad.com, none of the current cards from ATI or NVIDIA available at retail will support HDCP. Yep, you read that right: that $500 video card you just bought doesn’t support HDCP!

"Although ATI has had “HDCP support” in their GPUs since the Radeon 8500, and NVIDIA has had “HDCP support” in their GPUs since the GeForce FX5700, it turns out that things are more complicated -- just because the GPU itself supports HDCP doesn’t mean that the graphics card can output a DVI/HDCP compliant stream. There needs to be additional support at the board level, which includes licensing the HDCP decoding keys from the Digital Content Protection, LLC (a spin-off corporation within the walls of Intel).

After some investigation, Brandon and I (the author of the article) determined that there is no shipping retail add-in board with HDCP decoding keys. Simply put, none of the AGP or PCI-E graphics cards that you can buy today support HDCP."

Read the entire article here

I am pretty much resigned to the fact that I will probably need to upgrade my computers and graphics cards when Windows Vista comes out. I really would like to upgrade my graphics cards right now, but until one with true DIRECTX 10 and HDCP comes out, it will not be "Vista Ready"...

As soon as new HDCP cards come out (If DCP/MPAA allows it) they'll change the standard. Just wait...

Interview with Mark Knox

Toshiba readies its HD DVD spin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts