Tailgating setup with different lnbf

meisjoe

Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Orange County
Hey all,

So we recently changed our service from DTV to dish network and now I have a problem with getting connected to a satellite while tailgating at football games. We have a DTV dish, and I have an old lnb for dish network. From all the forums and threads that I have read, you can use a dish network lnb with a directv dish. I have also gone to all the sites telling me my azimuth and latitude, but its still not working.

So my question is:

- Can I use the lnb in the pic with a Directv Dish/or is it not possible?
- Can anyone tell me what I may be doing wrong?

Thank you in advance all.

sat.jpg

the lnb will work fine, so would the original that came with the directv dish if you only want too look at one sat, which is all you really should need for tailgating.
what do you use to find signal?
what receiver are you using?
you will need to clear the switch matrix by running check switch with the single lnb or no lnb connected.

Last edited:
How did you modify the dish or LNB so they would fit. A "D" tube dish LNB won't fit a rectangular Directv TUBE. It looks like you cut out the bottom of the Directv dish tube which may have changed where the LNB is actually aimed at the dish surface.

yea, upon a closer look it appears the lnb is pointing a little further up then it would with the correct lnb.

I have used a dish lnb on the square tube dish, but I peeled back the metal at the top lnb arm, keeping the bottom of the lnb square with the tube.

your set up should still work, but you elevation settings may need to be adjusted from what is required in your area.

Wow you guys are amazing! Yes, the Dish network lnb is simply resting in the rectangular tube arm. The sizes are totally different.

The Mack, thanks for the help. One question? I can still use the original DTV lnb and it would work? Is till have it, I just thought you had to use the appropriate one. I couldn't figure out a way to get the Dish one to site properly in the rectangular tube so I just put a zip tie on it but I still did not sit too well.

I want to only connect to 1 satellite, either 110 or 119. Probably which ever one has ESPN so we can watch the games while we BBQ.

Boba, I didn't actually cut anything on the dish itself at all. I just unbolted the DTV lnb and rested the Dish lnb inside the rectangular arm.

I don't have anything to measure the satellite signal, I just ran a check switch and used the meter on the menu screen to find a strong enough signal.

Lastly, I am using a Dish 311 receiver with this setup. Thanks again guys!!

the directv lnb will work fine.

hook up your dish and single lnb and run check switch (menu 6,1,1) to clear any existing switch matrix. (nothing connected will also work)

get the correct settings from receiver for dish 300, not 500 or any thing else, it will tell you correct azimuth and elevation for either the 110 or 119 satellite.

slowly pan from left to right to get signal, if none found raise elevation 2 degrees and try again.

single sat dishes are pretty easy to tune and you should have no issues with a little practice

Serious question, not trying to start a war. Why would someone switch from DirecTV for tailgating, who carries every game of every sport, to Dish which carries only a fraction of what Direct carries?

Thanks so much The Mack!! I will give it a try tonight and report back what happens. DodgerKing, to answer your question, my parents actually had DTV and I had dish. They just got Verizon Fios, so I am the only one who still uses satellite, so we had to use my dish. I really actually prefer it because its cheaper and I feel the guide and channels run smoother. DTV has a lag it always seems like when you flip thru channels. Just my 2 cents

Thanks so much The Mack!! I will give it a try tonight and report back what happens. DodgerKing, to answer your question, my parents actually had DTV and I had dish. They just got Verizon Fios, so I am the only one who still uses satellite, so we had to use my dish. I really actually prefer it because its cheaper and I feel the guide and channels run smoother. DTV has a lag it always seems like when you flip thru channels. Just my 2 cents
Which game(s) do you usually go to? Which game(s) do you usually watch?

WANTED: Your Thoughts on DISHONLINE.COM

Warning - Lost all recordings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)