System Setup/Technical Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Wasuna

Original poster
Oct 23, 2004
Hey there. Just found this website while looking for technical help for a Satellite system. I have DirecTV and just upgraded to a HDTV setup. My area had some bad storms in the last week so I didn’t really pay attention to the ‘Searching for Satellite Signal’ message.

Yesterday was crystal clear and I wanted to watch some TV and I couldn’t get more than 10-12 channels. I have one HDTV receiver and one standard receiver and both of them reported that I had the following signal strengths:

Satellite A – 0
Satellite B – 80
Satellite C – 70

I have different coax wires run from the LNB to each receiver and thought immediately that the LNB was bad since two receivers were getting the same indication. I assumed that the Satellite A part was broken.

I bought a new LNB and installed it and I got the exact same Satellite signal for all three inputs, 0, 80, 70.

I’m now stumped and was hoping somebody would be able to help with some suggestion.

Thanks in advance.

Hi and Welcome to Satelliteguys! We are glad you are here. This problem sounds to me like your dish is not properly aligned. I will move this to the DirecTV forum so it can be answered quickly....

Did you set up your dish according to the settings it gave you on the tv in setup ? Besides azimuth and elevation you have to adjust the tilt (skew). Also, I had seen on other forums that some people had to move the dish a little more towards the west than it stated for the HD dish. This was true in my case.

I replaced the original dish with the HD dish and adjusted for the skew. When I did not get a signal, I moved it slightly towards the west and got all three at around 90%. Maybe this will work for you.

Thanks for the replies. It was the dish pointing. I just couldn't see how I could have two of the three signals at such a high level and the third at '0' with just dish pointing. I got the ladder out and the poll level bubble was out by a good bit.

Now I have:
A - 75
B - 90
C - 90

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Anybody with a hitachi OTA receiver?

How to switch from Dish for the least $$$

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)