Sunday Ticket litigation

Seems some of you guys have missed the whole point that the NFL was found guilty of violating anti-trust laws.
How?! Aren't there three new football leagues now?

I don't get how that makes this an anti-trust violation. Sunday Ticket was never cheap, but I never really felt it was overpriced, I just wasn't gonna pay it. NFL is big money.
That was the finding but everybody looks at the 4.7B$ and assumes it was about Sunday Ticket fees.
Wasn't it?
article said:
The National Football League violated antitrust law by overcharging for its Sunday Ticket agreement to distribute out-of-market games over 11 seasons, a federal jury decided Thursday. Plaintiffs had also contended the league restricted competition by offering the games package only via DirecTV satellite.
The ST fees were only evidence in an anti-trust case and while 4.7B$ is a huge amount of money (which will likely be greatly reduced on appeal) the NFL's real worry is if Congress now decides to look into the NFL's Anti-Trust Exemption. That would be the real dagger in the NFL's heart..
They increased the price for ST because the networks didn't want it competing with their local broadcasts. Want anti-Trust? How's about why can we only see the local team. Going to college in NYC was HELL!!! because it was Jets or Giants at 1 PM and Giants or Jets at 4 PM. I was always wishing the weeks would fly by so there would be a bye and I didn't have to see the Jets or Giants.

And seriously, you think this Congress is going to look into the exemption of the NFL owners?

It's called price fixing when you agree to keep the price at MSRP as a condition of your contract.

More than a few brands seem to get away with this (although Apple's stranglehold on retail pricing seems to have crumbled since they got in bed with BB and other retailers).
But isn't price fixing among competitors? The neighboring Mazda and Subaru dealerships both promise to not sell cars below a certain point, so they can inflate their pricing.

Sunday Ticket... the NFL can sell it for whatever they want! It is their product.

I don't think Apple is ever price fixing, they have their Apple tax on their products that people willingly pay because their stuff is shiny and rounded. :heartbeat

Sounds like wishful thinking, and also conceding that this litigation doesn't really move the needle in the long run.
Well talk to MLB about when they have been threatened by antitrust from Congress? Its a big deal, and these sports teams really get the upper hand. It gets taken away.....look out

Whole bunch of small print in that offer..stuff like router rental fees. Etc etc etc
DirecTV for Business has fees also.

Another handful of nails in the coffin of DIRECTV -- This is one of those rare times it is not DIRECTV's own doing.
DirecTV for Business can stay in the game by securing more distribution deals for other sports moving to streaming exclusives such as WNBA, NASCAR, and when the NBA TV deal starts, and Peacock now before this football season kicks off

Remember, they exclusively have ESPN+ and Apple MLB/MLS

Another handful of nails in the coffin of DIRECTV -- This is one of those rare times it is not DIRECTV's own doing.
Now how does fair for the lawsuit over NFL ticket? say it was made open to all on cable system an few years ago? Lower prices? more deals? would of comcast pushed out SDV a few years ago? made an harder IPTV push?

say it was made open to all on cable system an few years ago?
That's not how the NFL has rolled. They want two clients -- one for residential and one for commercial. For the next few years, the two clients are YouTube and Everpass.

The litigation is about pricing which doesn't have much to do with who owns the rights as the pricing is ostensibly set by the NFL and they're the one under the microscope.

There was an issue that some bars in cities (I know of one) that could not get DirecTV Business because the satellite reception is blocked by taller buildings

That's not how the NFL has rolled. They want two clients -- one for residential and one for commercial. For the next few years, the two clients are YouTube and Everpass.

The litigation is about pricing which doesn't have much to do with who owns the rights as the pricing is ostensibly set by the NFL and they're the one under the microscope.
well the lack of multi system also pushed up pricing

How in the world do you throw out a guilty verdict because you think the calculations used to arrive at a dollar penalty figure were wrong. Just recalculate the bloody penalty. Federal judges are nuts! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Teehar and AZ.

Argentina Morocco Olympic Soccer

The US wins the final medal count in Paris