Original poster
Sep 29, 2004
97w/55n
think of giving up

hi all again
last week i could not get my new bec2000 to receive amc-4 or nothing at all
so i got a Fortec Star Lifetime ULTRA and still nothing
i live 8 hours from winnipeg,30inch dish and a ku lnb
what the hell am i doing wrong ,should i get a bigger dish or buy a birddog.
Mybe to far for fta(all i wont is amc-4 need my soccer)
PLEASE HELP
THANK YOU ALL

At least you know both the receivers are OK, a positive identification satellite meter may help find the satellite but even then the receiver has to be properly set up to work, then what are you going to do with your $450 meter?

As long as you can see the TV from the dish there is no need for the meter (IMO), a bigger dish will help with signal quality but that is not your your problem, most newbies have problems with the satellite angles and the receiver set up I would concentrate your efforts there If you cant find a local installer who does KU installs take your time and relax and eventually it will click, I really understand your frustration.

I was at a service call today to repoint a dish at Telstar 5 for a guy, he and his brother had been trying for WEEKS to find the signal using his Pansat 2500 and a TV. It was a pointing problem the whole time, the dish was mounted the wrong way round, the mast/pole was not plumb, and never could be made plumb the way it was on the roof, any chance of posting some pictures of your set up?

THANK YOU FRIEND
THERE IS NO local installer who does KU in my town of 10.000peep
how do u post pics?

Click on " Go Advanced" below where you write your posts, then Manage Attachments you can add a few pics there and it may help, sometimes its just something simple hope so!

city-thompson manitoba
dish-30in Star Choice
lnb-Ku Band Universal, Dual polarization, single output LNBF, which adopts the wide band technology, can receiver the signal of frequency range: 10.7~12.75Ghz. The two L.O. frequency 9.75Ghz/10.6Ghz (or 10.75Ghz) can be controlled by the output signal of 0/22khz or DiSEqC from the receiver, at the same time switching the polarization by signal of 13/18V. This LNBF is wide band, high gain, low noise and resistance of shock.

here are some pics

Attachments

• DSCN0171.jpg
    DSCN0171.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 228
  • DSCN0172.jpg
    DSCN0172.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 226
  • DSCN0173.jpg
    DSCN0173.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 252
Hi Botherhood, I am a fellow Canadian that had nothing but trouble with getting Ku-band reception. But, it is like PSB said if you used 2 receivers and still got nothing, them it is a setup problem. I thought the same thing, but in fact it was the angle of my dish that was the problem. Also, it was thinking I was on one particular satellite, when in fact it was another. I had to trial and error frequencies of neighbouring satellite to see what i was really aming too and presto! Plus, the angle notches of the Fortec Star dish have been known to be off, so that didn't help me initially.

BTW, your dish seems a bit dirty. Is that just ice (being from Thompson Man., you have cold winters) or is it the way the the camera caught the dish?

The dangers and confusion of using a Universal LNBF or LNB
without fully understanding how it works. If you have access
to a conventional "old" Star Choice LNBF with a 10750 MHz
local oscillator (non-stacked), use it instead, with that LO setting.
Otherwise you must be very careful how the receiver is set up
when using a Universal LNBF. Make sure that UNIVERSAL is selected
rather than STANDARD local oscillator setup.
Doublecheck the local oscillator settings:
Out of the box, WITHOUT 22 KHz tone applied, you should have 9750 MHZ local oscillator engaged.
Turn the 22 KHz tone ON, and the second LO appears.
This could be 10600 or 10750, depending upon which it is.
Confirm what the manufacturer says, or you may
never get it right unless through blind luck.

Once you have this synchronized properly, you should have some luck
in finding signals. Otherwise find a conventional STAR CHOICE LNBF
from days of old (non-stacked), set for STANDARD, and 10750 MHz.
22 KHz would be OFF.

Good luck,

I'm sure you have heard this many times, but double check that the mast is at 90 degrees. I have a Dish Network dish that I dismantled. Then I put the dish back up in the same place, but I had no signal. Everything looked straight up and down, and I knew I was pointing at a satellite, but no signal. I adjusted the mast angle slightly and BAM! I had 125% signal strength. The same thing happend when I installed my FTA dish. I mounted the dish to a board on the ground and could not get a signal. Then I bought a pipe, located a spot on the ground, installed the pipe so that is was straight up and down and level on both the vertical and horizontal axis, and I found quality signals with no problems.

I'm using a Traxis DVB 2500; therefore, I rely on these guys in this forum to help me locate feeds since I do not have a blind scan on my receiver :( . Don't give up!

Don't give up!

Brotherhood -- Don't give up! Once you get your system running, you'll probably find that the solution to your problem was all along just one very minor adjustment away.

You really don't need a signal meter, in my opinion, since you have that function built into your receiver already! If your system is not set up properly, the world's best and most expensive signal meter won't help you one bit!

Probably everyone on this forum has, at one point or another in their FTA experience, suspected that their equipment was faulty, only to discover afterwards that they were not pointing their dish properly, had neglected proper settings for their type of LNBF, had failed to select an active transponder when adjusting their dish, or something similar.

If you're trying to lock onto AMC-4, it helps to know which transponders are ACTIVE when you move your satellite dish back and forth and up and down in search of signal quality. I haven't been on AMC-4 for quite some time, but I suspect that the following transponders are active and sufficiently strong:
Tp 11704, Vertical 2170
Tp 11807, Horizontal 2731
Perhaps someone else from the list can provide a better suggestion on which transponder to use when searching for signal quality...?
Do not use one of the 4-digit transponders (C-band) when you search! I'm not familiar with your receivers, but on mine, the C-band transponders are the ones that come up first, so I have to scroll down to one of the active 5-digit ku-band transponders.

If these transponders are not available in your setup, you can add them through your transponder manager in the receiver setup menu.

Double check your LNBF settings in the setup menu. Do these correspond to your type of Ku-band LNBF (standard, or universal)?

Have your tv screen in sight when you move your dish back and forth so that you can see when the signal quality pops up on screen.

AMC-4 is at 101° W., so you need to be pointing your dish over toward the 180-200° azimuth range. Use a compass to get a general idea where that is. Remember that the elevation marks on your dish and compass readings may be misleading: sometimes you'll need to turn your dish beyond, below, or above where you "think" the satellite should be...

(I noticed that one of your pictures shows a missing R-6 cable on your LNBF; I assume that's just because you had removed it... Silly me, if you are getting signal strength I guess that means the cable is indeed connected!)

Feel free to come back with pointed questions if the above doesn't help. The guys here are quite indulgent and tend to help until your problem is solved.

u guys rock
i dont mind working on this but its so f***king cold (-22C)lol
ill try agian this morning
thank you all

Thank You All But

I FOUND amc-4 but all i get is 1)primedia channel 2)occasional use-2 3)occasional use-3 and scrambled stuff
DID SAT SCAN ,TP SCAN,power scan,and no rtp channel
what gives?
thank you all a again

Seems you are on the wrong satellite, at least you are getting somewhere now : )

You are on G11 right now at 91W
You need to move your dish to the west 10 degrees to
AMC-4 at 101W
From behind the dish move the dish to the right just a fraction until you see quality on a live AMC-4 transponder!

Dont touch the elevation at all for now!

The receiver does not know what satellite you point the dish at (unless you have set it up to your true south bird using a motor and the USALS feature) just move the dish and watch for Quality ! Glad you are getting somewhere now!

Get a hat on and find some latex/vinyl/rubber gloves. This works for me when I do my car work at 0 F.

Good luck and keep the faith!

brotherhood said:
u guys rock
i don't mind working on this but its so f***king cold (-22C)lol
ill try again this morning
thank you all

I DO NOT KNOW DID YOU STORE ANY SATELLITE NAME INTO THE RECEIVER, BUT ONCE YOUR HIT THE 1.2 OR USALS, IT WILL GO TO THE DISH MOVE MENU, REMEMBER TO SET THE SAT POSITION NUMBER EACH TIME TO GO TO A NEW SAT POSITION (UPPER RIGHT, IT NEED TO BE FROM 28 AND UP, 1 TO 27 IS FACTORY DEFAUT SETTING. lOOKS LIKE YOU CAN HAS OVER 15 POSITION CAN PUT INTO).

If AMC4 is your first sat in the program, set 28 as the position , but before went to this menu, put all the frequency info first, then to this menu, once the dish move and hit the frequency, it will show the signal quality.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dealing with USALS

Equity changes another affiliation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)